Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Out of curiosity....anyone know where the new iPads with the serial number starting with DY come from?

Just picked up a new white 32GB WiFi.....and the online check doesn't know.

Just curious.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Enter your serial number here. It should tell you where it was built along with build date.

That's why I posted here......that site doesn't know anything about it. It says:

Factory: DY Please tell us where this machine is manufactured.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Mine is DY and week April 5

Mine is:

Serial number: DYxxx
Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 14 (April)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: White
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DY Please tell us where this machine is manufactured.

-Kevin

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's more than likely a new Foxconn facility due to the "D" in the first part.

Mine is "DL" and it's Foxconn China so "DY" could be a different Foxconn facility. Perhaps a new one they opened.

tthip

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I just feel like posting my specs even though I am DL

Serial number: DL***
Model Number: MC076
Machine Model: iPad3,1
Production week: 8 (February)
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Just picked up ones of these today. Wherever it's built, it's a good one. No screen issues at all. Go DY!!

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Just opened a week 14 DY White 16GB wifi and it has a cracking screen too, no yellow, pink or green and a very even backlight and no bleed! It does however have a minute scratch on the back. This is my 3rd go at getting a good one and I finally have a keeper. Wonder if DY plant are using SHARP screens, as this one looks completely different, the colours are more saturated, the blacks are more solid and the white is really......well.....white! :cool:

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Just opened a week 14 DY White 16GB wifi and it has a cracking screen too, no yellow, pink or green and a very even backlight and no bleed! It does however have a minute scratch on the back. This is my 3rd go at getting a good one and I finally have a keeper. Wonder if DY plant are using SHARP screens, as this one looks completely different, the colours are more saturated, the blacks are more solid and the white is really......well.....white! :cool:

I love Sharp and I only buy Sharp TV :)
Can anyone confirm DY = Sharp panel? Cheers.

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012

Same here, this is my third and final try at getting a good screen. It really is a thing of beauty compared to my previous ones.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I'd thought I'd found an acceptable iPad two weeks ago. It wasn't perfect, but considerably better than previous ones. But the more I used it, the more I noticed and was annoyed by, a big pink patch, and a greenish cyan one. I'm not sure whether these patches developed over time, or if I just didn't notice them at first. It was a DM serial.

Still, I decided to keep it, telling myself another replacement would just be worse or bad in a different way.

Then I saw this thread about the unknown DY factory. I had remembered reading elsewhere about someone who got what they considered a very good replacement that had a DY serial, and the posts in this thread seemed to concur.

Today was day 14 of my return period. I decided to try one last time for a non pink/green screen. I boxed up my current one and headed over to Apple. I told the sales girl that I had been very unlucky with these new iPads so far and that I had heard of a new crop of good ones popping up with a DY serial number.

She said flat out, "I can't search through a stack of boxes for a specific serial number, sorry". Well, screw it I figured, I'll just buy another one, like I have done before, and return the worse of the 2.

She pulled one out and began to ring me up. I peered over the counter at the back of the box. To my excitement, it was a DY. I paid for it and headed to a table to open it up and make the big comparison.

It is considerably better than my previous one, which was considerably better than the ones prior to it. Side by side, the DY is noticeably cooler and more evenly colored. No pink or green visible at any angle. It does shift to a warmer hue when tilted away from the face. No dead pixels. No foam gaps.

So far, I am finally happy. I said I didn't want to jinx the previous one by saying it was great, which it turned out not to be, so I won't say that about this one. I will be keeping a close eye on it for any color degradation, because I could swear my previous got pink/green over time. Maybe I'm wrong.

*EDIT* Just found the post I was thinking of from April 11.

Went to apple today and bought one but returned due to backlight bleed. Then bought another at the same apple store with better backlight bleed. Both iPads were NOT made by Foxcom in April (serial start with DYTHH). Both have cool white.

If you want cool blue white, get one with serial starting with DY, not Foxcom. Anyone know who is the manufacter with DY

Last edited:

klo-mac

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Mine said production week 23 June. I purchased in March :)

Serial number: DN.....
Model Number: MD328
Machine Model: iPad3,1
Production week: 23 (June)
Colour: White
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Well so far I think my new DY white 32gb seems to be the best I've had.

No dead pixels, pretty decent color. I can't tell if there is a slight darkening on the left side or not. At this point it could be all in my head :p

Still don't like the color shifting of the new displays when tilted....very distracting.

It's only day 2 so I'll give it some time.

mcdj how many did you return? This is my fifth, although the first me was returned due to dust and the 3rd never made it out of the store because of scratches on the back.

-Kevin

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
mcdj how many did you return? This is my fifth, although the first me was returned due to dust and the 3rd never made it out of the store because of scratches on the back.

-Kevin

This one makes 7 I think. Hopefully done. My screen is a little dark on the left too. I gave up on finding a perfectly evenly lit one a few iPads ago. My main concern has been the pink/green. So far so good.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
This one makes 7 I think. Hopefully done. My screen is a little dark on the left too. I gave up on finding a perfectly evenly lit one a few iPads ago. My main concern has been the pink/green. So far so good.

Were they all returns within the 14 days? Just trying to get an understanding of if/when Apple starts cutting people off on straight returns.

Interesting about the darker left side.....nice to know maybe it's not just mine. You'll have to let me know if you see it "come and go". Weirdest thing is that sometimes I don't notice the left side....other times I do.

I read in iBooks a lot...and use fullscreen Sepia....that's where I tend to notice the darker left mostly.

-Kevin

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I've been on the sideline waiting at this point for some of the screen issues to clear up. This thread makes things look a bit more promising.

I'm still afraid to re-buy again. I hate going back and forth with returns.

What to do... what to do... :rolleyes:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Were they all returns within the 14 days? Just trying to get an understanding of if/when Apple starts cutting people off on straight returns.

1. Preordered iPad
2. Exchange of #1 (treated as refund/re-purchase)
3. Exchange of #2 (which they didn't realize was an exchange itself, also treated as refund)
4. Exchange of #3 (got a brown box version)
5. Swapped brown box version for previous exchange as it was "less bad".
6. Returned completely, refund issued. Bought another.
7. Returned 6, bought another. 7 is DY.

As for darkening, viewing angles etc. I feel the new iPad screen is a mixed blessing. The density of the pixels makes text and images look great, but it's like looking at a massive bundle of fiberoptic cables. Look straight on and you will see a more or less even field of light. But tilt your view slightly and there is falloff. And if there is any variation in the angle of the LED sidelights, there is falloff, regardless of viewing angle. The higher density of pixels seems to be much more sensitive to even tiny discrepancies in the alignment of every variable.

Last edited:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
1.Preordered iPad
2. Exchange of #1
3. Exchange of #2 (which they didn't realize was an exchange itself)
4. Exchange of #3 (got a brown box version)
5. Swapped brown box version for previous exchange as it was "less bad".
6. Returned 5 completely, refund issued. Bought another.
7. Returned 6, bought another. 7 is DY.

Thanks.....my saga so far:

1. Preordered a 16GB and 32GB. Only picked up the 32GB, returned the 16GB without opening the box.

2. Outside of my 14 days, noticed a dust speck (not sure how it got there but wasn't there before). Brown box exchange at Genius Bar. This one had the green tint when I got home. Tried returning this one twice....Apple refused to take it back.

3. Sold #2 on Craigslist for $100 loss :mad:

4. Bought new 32GB Black. Opened in store, tons of dings and scratches on back. Apple swapped on the spot. New one had a decent screen, but a dead pixel.

5. Returned #4 for refund (which was interesting because of the in-store swap they could only offer me cash or a gift card....of course I was taking cash :D) Purchased the latest, 32GB white DY version.

So far no dead pixels of dust.....will wait an see whether the darker left side bothers me.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.