Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So whatcha gonna do?

• Stick with iOS

Votes: 273 68.6%
  • Switch to Android

Votes: 92 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 33 8.3%

• Total voters

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
After spending a solid two weeks with the Galaxy Nexus (having previously owned the 4S), I cannot return to any 3.5 inch device. Picking up the 4S feels comically small. Reading emails, reading texts in general, typing, using Safari... it's all a bit suffocating on the small screen.

If people give larger screens a chance, whether it be with Android or iOS (hopefully come this Fall), the experience is glorious.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Large screens rule!

I have a 4.3" phone now for a couple of days and I really couldn't go back to 3.5" anymore.

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
I've found this thread very interesting, and would like to throw my $.02 in as well. We have an iPad (1st gen), and are actually looking at buying the new iPad as well this week. In regards to tablets, iPad still rules the roost.
I disagree.

I used to think the iPad was the greatest tablet out there, but it isn't.

First off, you don't need to have a pixel density as high as the iPad, having 1080p is perfectly fine, which brings me to this:

http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-prime/features/

^I'd take the Prime over the iPad any day.

But, I for one want something bigger, and if resolution matters; than this tablet just destroys the iPad.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 11.6.

Even though it's just a rumor, it's going to be released someday.

If resolution matters, than the Tab 11.6's 2560x1600 resolution rapes the iPads 2048x1536 resolution.

Not only that, the iPad is lame because of it's form factor. I love watching movies, but the iPad has a 4:3 aspect ratio, whereas most android tablets (the 2 that I mentioned, and even the Galaxy Tab 10.1) has a 16:9 aspect ratio, which is perfect for watching movies.

Plus, the app icon layout is just boring, customization is where it's all at, and it's something that iOS has been lacking for quiet sometime.

MrGlobe

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
The Journal/Note looks like an awesome phone. I played around with one in the store for a little while and I definitely walked away impressed. It's almost like the bigger the screen, the thinner the device feels because of it.

doubledown7d

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
After spending a solid two weeks with the Galaxy Nexus (having previously owned the 4S), I cannot return to any 3.5 inch device. Picking up the 4S feels comically small. Reading emails, reading texts in general, typing, using Safari... it's all a bit suffocating on the small screen.

If people give larger screens a chance, whether it be with Android or iOS (hopefully come this Fall), the experience is glorious.

I'm on the other end of the stick. I currently have a G Nex bought specifically for the big screen. Love the size, but am wanting to trade it for a 4s. Just started getting into fitness and everything works with ios. I would miss the size but the functionality I need is there. Just wish there was a 4.3" iphone already :confused:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm on the other end of the stick. I currently have a G Nex bought specifically for the big screen. Love the size, but am wanting to trade it for a 4s. Just started getting into fitness and everything works with ios. I would miss the size but the functionality I need is there. Just wish there was a 4.3" iphone already :confused:

This is the biggest reason everything I try (other than iOS) ends up letting me down. I can run with iOS, it has the best apps, and there are accessories galore. For a phone where everyone says "they all look the same", there sure are a lot more options in the accessories front.

qwerty123123

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
if the iphone 5 stays at a 3.5 inch screen, i am definitely going to go with htc one x or SG3 or SGnote. i just cant deal with the small screen size anymore..

My 2 cents :)

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Excellent post.

I don't know exactly what Android copied from iOS (apps?), but I've noticed that iOS copied the Notification center from Android, and honestly, I prefer Androids Notification over iOS's. Besides that, the way Folders are displayed in ICS looks really great compared to the 3x3 grid that iOS has, which has been real tacky looking since the day it was introduced. The way you delete apps running in the background of Android is really nice compared to iOS.

With iOS, you have to Double-Click the Home Button, and then Press and Hold an icon to go into wiggle mode, and then press the x button to close it. Not only that, it just shows 4 apps at a time, which is lame.

With Android, you just press and hold the home button, and all you do is swipe to the right to close it. Super sleek. Plus, it doesn't show just 4 apps at a time, you can just scroll through it.

I bet that iOS will copy this and claim that they reinvented it. :roll eyes:

Well on ICS the way you create folders is to move one icon onto another ala iOS. Works exactly the same. Just to name one. Android borrowed more than just a few things, as did iOS. Remember the iphone came first, to say that Google was not influenced by iOS you would be lying to yourself. I am glad they did. Either way ICS is a fantastic OS. I miss the old customization of my phone OS like I did my old Window mobiles phones before the iphone came out. Don't like the keyboard, change it. Don't like the clock, change it, etc.

Both are good, and i still like iOS, but that screen is still killing me. Nice but too damn small for my tastes. Home button drove me nuts. Android ICS is a nice break from iOS on my phone. I still use it on my iPAD and like it though.

doubledown7d

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
This is the biggest reason everything I try (other than iOS) ends up letting me down. I can run with iOS, it has the best apps, and there are accessories galore. For a phone where everyone says "they all look the same", there sure are a lot more options in the accessories front.

The ecosystem just can't be beat or even competed with well at this point. Thought I would never want an iphone at least till the hardware was everything I wanted but...I was wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.