Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karenl39

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis
I am going back to college and have been handwriting my notes. However, I have an Ipad and plan on using it to take notes. Which apps are best for this?

Thanks!

I need to also mention I have a wireless keyboard I will be using.

Last edited:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Question probably asked a few times each month. Here's the most recent thread on the topic.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1130772/

One thing I'll add that you'll also find mentioned in the above thread. For college note-taking, you really would benefit from a note-taking app that also has a recording feature. That allows you to "synchronize" what you are typing with what was being said at the moment you typed it. So hours/days later, if you find yourself looking at a note and trying to remember why its important, you can remind yourself by listening to the synchronized course instructors words being stated at that moment in time.

Seriously a killer feature. Most of the more popular note-taking apps support this feature.

Karenl39

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis
Question probably asked a few times each month. Here's the most recent thread on the topic.

One thing I'll add that you'll also find mentioned in the above thread. For college note-taking, you really would benefit from a note-taking app that also has a recording feature. That allows you to "synchronize" what you are typing with what was being said at the moment you typed it. So hours/days later, if you find yourself looking at a note and trying to remember why its important, you can remind yourself by listening to the synchronized course instructors words being stated at that moment in time.

Seriously a killer feature. Most of the more popular note-taking apps support this feature.

Thanks! I did do a search and it was tough to wade through all the results.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use Circus Ponies Notebook and Notability. Notability is the best app for handwriting, IMO, and also has a recording feature. 7NotesHD is also a good alternative.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
i posted a thread about this last year. see my profile for a link to it. in short, i recommend note taker hd for handwriting, evernote for typing (i use an external keyboard -- really nice to have this), and recorder pro if you really must record lectures. i don't. for the syncing of recorded lectures with notes, i am sure people can advise you better than me.

my notesand just about everything else in my life go into evernote. for students, i just cannot recommend it enough. voodoopad is also
worth looking at if you are interested in personal wikis.

firemedicmark

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2005

Cool, thanks for the help!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Palpatine,

Do you use voodoopad on both Mac and iPad? How do you use it?

I do use it on both platforms. Now that it has Dropbox syncing, you can easily make and edit notes on both platforms. I'm pretty pleased with how it has developed, and if you are looking for something straightforward and simple to use, I think this is a great app. One of my favorite things about it is that everything is exportable as a text file (PDFs and other proprietary files get moved into the folder as-is). So, no worries about having your stuff altered in any way when you put it into VoodooPad.

looseleafapp

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
Check out LooseLeaf

I've been developing LooseLeaf - an app that allows you to quickly write and sort notes, tasks, questions, and ideas. All you have to do is write your notes, and then put symbols in the margin to classify your notes. Then you can choose to see only tasks, or only questions, etc.

It's a much more pared down approach, but I think that the focus and simplicity of it leads to better notes and easier recall of information.

The app is currently in a closed beta, but looking for more feedback - please sign up at http://beta.looseleafapp.net if you're interested.

Thanks!
Ethan

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Evernote charges you for online storage and does not allow or give you the option to just store info on just your device unlike S-Note on the Samsung Galaxy Note. The S-Note on the Galaxy Note does pretty much everything Evernote does while allowing you to store info and pictures on just your device without requiring you to upload every bit of private info on to some server and then pay for the uploaded data that you upload. One has to upload and download every time. If they made it work like the S-Note on the Samsung note it would be perfect. The one from Samsung is for free and allows you to keep personal and private info just on your device without needing to upload to their server.

sw-2-note.jpg

Even with Premium the option not to sync does not exist :rolleyes:

evernote_offline.png

They give you one option on sync and it is for Wifi only :rolleyes: What happened to the option of not wanting to sync and allowing us to keep info just on our own device :confused:
:confused:
ipad-sync-wifi.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.