Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I am just happy I don't suffer from same type of OCD that the MacRumor iPad forum members suffer from. ;)

I couldn't be more happy for you. Now because you don't have any issues, can you please either contribute to the original question of where is factory DY, or leave and go start your own "I'm super happy" thread that I will be sure to stay out of since I have nothing to contribute to that. I don't need a bickering match in this thread too and have the mods shut it down.

Thanks.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
No you just suffer from a lack of visual intelligence and competence

Hey Magicpie1980....I'm the one from the old Yellow Tint thread. As you can see I did end up getting back into the retail channel and 14 day return period.....of course at a price of a $100 loss having to sell the bad one. :mad:

Still not convinced this latest is totally good. That left side does appear darker in iBooks which makes it really noticeable when reading :(

This one makes 7 I think. Hopefully done. My screen is a little dark on the left too. I gave up on finding a perfectly evenly lit one a few iPads ago. My main concern has been the pink/green. So far so good.

Hey mcdj.....can you try something for me. I have no idea if it's just my eyes playing tricks....but I notice the left side is darkest for a minute or so after the screen is turned on. I know it's not my eyes adjusting because I'll open the smart cover....and see the darker left side. If I put the iPad down, still open, but don't look at it for a few minutes, when I go back....it's still a darker shade....but doesn't seem AS dark to me.

-Kevin

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Hey mcdj.....can you try something for me. I have no idea if it's just my eyes playing tricks....but I notice the left side is darkest for a minute or so after the screen is turned on. I know it's not my eyes adjusting because I'll open the smart cover....and see the darker left side. If I put the iPad down, still open, but don't look at it for a few minutes, when I go back....it's still a darker shade....but doesn't seem AS dark to me.

-Kevin

Sorry, I have no idea what you're asking me to do.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Sorry, I have no idea what you're asking me to do.

Sorry...what I'm getting at is.....does the darker left side get "brighter" almost as the display warms up?

1) Have your iPad screen off for a while.
2) Pick up your iPad and turn the screen on....look at the left side and notice how dark it is.

3) Now, put the iPad down....but keep the screen on. This is just so you eyes don't get used to looking at the screen. Let it sit for a few minutes.

4) Pick up the iPad and look at the screen again....does the left side seem lighter?

I have no idea if this is just me....but to me it seems like after the screen is on for a few minutes....it's almost like the old days where displays would have to warm up.

-Kevin

str8spd2001

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Los Angeles
I wish I had as good luck as everyone else with DY serial iPad. My DY was really pink and dim on full brightness. Right when I showed my wife who doesn't really care for these small details even saw it. And the worst part was that the bottom half seemed dimmer and darker pink than the top half.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Sorry...what I'm getting at is.....does the darker left side get "brighter" almost as the display warms up?

1) Have your iPad screen off for a while.
2) Pick up your iPad and turn the screen on....look at the left side and notice how dark it is.

3) Now, put the iPad down....but keep the screen on. This is just so you eyes don't get used to looking at the screen. Let it sit for a few minutes.

4) Pick up the iPad and look at the screen again....does the left side seem lighter?

I have no idea if this is just me....but to me it seems like after the screen is on for a few minutes....it's almost like the old days where displays would have to warm up.

-Kevin

Hmm. Seems a tad darker on the left, all the time.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...mines a DN and seems pretty evenly lit, with no dust or dead pixels...if you hold it at an extreme down angle the top right side of the bezel to screen seems to not be completely glued to the screen but at any kind of normal viewing angles you can't see it at all...

Last edited:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Hmm. Seems a tad darker on the left, all the time.

Thanks for looking. I'm assuming it's just my eyes :eek:

Damn this is starting to piss me off. Really don't want to go back to the iPad 2 just to wait for the 4th gen to hopefully fix things.

-Kevin

elee888

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Anyone have any luck getting a DY model from a brown box? I'm passed my return period and swapping is my only route right now.

Macgeeza

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Can you see the 'DY' on the box before you buy from the apple store?. I was waiting for the screen issues to be fixed before I purchased another one. Perhaps it's now time to give it another try?.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Can you see the 'DY' on the box before you buy from the apple store?. I was waiting for the screen issues to be fixed before I purchased another one. Perhaps it's now time to give it another try?.

Yes the sticker on the back of the box shows the serial number.

-Kevin

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
Cool thanks, will be looking for one.

Has anyone got a DY one from a UK apple store yet?

Yes. DY serial. Production week 15. Good screen. Other 3 were all pink tint and not DY.
They were DL wk 5, DM wk 7 & DM wk 9 i think.

I think mine does have a very subtle dark line on one side but im not going to make a point of analysing it. Im happy - i don't see anything wrong in normal day to day use. My first 3 iPads had pink i was noticing most of the time. I think if you are looking to closely then you arent going to be happy.

The apple guy in the shop said different people see different colours. Some see more pink and some see more yellow depending upon each persons eyesight so he couldnt guarantee a perfect screen. I don't believe that - to has to be something to do with new retina technology in the larger iPad screen. But luckily the screen was fine for me - the best i got and better than my brothers which was my comparision model.

Last edited:

Macgeeza

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Yes. DY serial. Production week 15. Good screen. Other 3 were all pink tint and not DY.
They were DL wk 5, DM wk 7 & DM wk 9 i think.

I think mine does have a very subtle dark line on one side but im not going to make a point of analysing it. Im happy - i don't see anything wrong in normal day to day use. My first 3 iPads had pink i was noticing most of the time. I think if you are looking to closely then you arent going to be happy.

That's great, looks like I will be heading back to the apple store again soon then :)

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
That's great, looks like I will be heading back to the apple store again soon then :)

I did notice the different serial number and that the sticker on the back was shade whiter than the other serial number stickers when he was scanning the numbers for the swap. When i saw it i thought maybe it's a refurbished one - but it was all new and with the plastic wrapping.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
so if my new iPad shipped from chengdu, it's not going to be DY? Although I think this is probably coincidence rather than a new screen, but who knows..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.