Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
If iphone 5 will have this display I will definitely get it, I have seen some rumors that SGS 3 will use this display too.

My next phone will have this display.

What do you think about it?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
If iphone 5 will have this display I will definitely get it, I have seen some rumors that SGS 3 will use this display too.

Any links or pics on this? Would be awesome if it was true.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
A change is resolution is unlikely unless the iPhone 4 has a larger screen, which is possible, but doubtful.

A change in aspect ratio is very unlikely. It causes a lot more fragmentation and work for developers (both OS and App Store developers) than a resolution change.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
A change is resolution is unlikely unless the iPhone 4 has a larger screen, which is possible, but doubtful.

A change in aspect ratio is very unlikely. It causes a lot more fragmentation and work for developers (both OS and App Store developers) than a resolution change.

...and you don't change the hardware/display because of that?

:cool:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
There always comes a time when you just gotta move on. That display looks good.

Exactly. There comes a time, more in technology than anything else, that you have to get out of your niche and advance yourself. I just hope, with Apple, that its sooner than later.

Although, I wouldn't care of the next iPhone doesn't increase in size. I'm not due for an upgrade until the model after that :p

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
The Samsung Galaxy S II is 4.3-inch. Smaller is not an option at Samsung.

Agreed. They aren't going to go backwards and make the screen smaller. If anything, it will be larger. not top mention Samsung has always made their own screens, they also make Apples screens.

IO01

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011

Some apps are available for both the iPhone and the iPad. Don't developers already have to contend with different resolutions (960x640 for the iPhone, vs. 1024x768/2048x1536 for theiPad)?

I'm now hoping for a screen resolution of 1280x720 on the next iPhone. A search on GSM Arena shows 34 phones that have the same screen resolution. I would have considered one of these instead of getting the 4S, but (1) I prefer iOS, and (2) I don't want pentile (yes, I know that some screens don't have it). So here's hoping that the next iPhone will have a 1280x720 non-Pentile screen.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Some apps are available for both the iPhone and the iPad. Don't developers already have to contend with different resolutions (960x640 for the iPhone, vs. 1024x768/2048x1536 for theiPad)?

I'm now hoping for a screen resolution of 1280x720 on the next iPhone. A search on GSM Arena shows 34 phones that have the same screen resolution. I would have considered one of these instead of getting the 4S, but (1) I prefer iOS, and (2) I don't want pentile (yes, I know that some screens don't have it). So here's hoping that the next iPhone will have a 1280x720 non-Pentile screen.

The iPad is also on a different scale and does cause some fragmentation issues.

1280x720 would be a narrower aspect ratio in portrait, the main phone orientation. It would require a whole rethink of the UI to work. I'm not saying it cannot happen, just that it won't be taken lightly.

silversun

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011

I believe that iPhone will never have 720p display because it will ruin the ecosystem of the apps. Up until now, iPhone has always been using 3:2 ratio screen (from 480x320 to 960x640) while 720p is 16:9 ratio. iPad has been using 4:3 ratio display, when the new iPad came out, developers just need to 2x the current apps to adapt to the new resolution.
So it is either keep the same screen size or double the resolution to 1920x1280 (sounds crazy) with a larger screen

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The maximum Apple will go to without changing the resolution is 3.8" to stay above the Retina threshold.
Na, they can go 4" because they'll say you'll be holding it further away - thus retaining retina. Count on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.