Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nostylluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
First off, I'd like to point out that I have been playing since August 2011 and I still learn new things every day. This thread is for general discussion of the game and helping newcomers. Instead of typing huge bibles for you to read, I will instead paste links and videos so you can decide for your own and not judge me on my personal experience.

EVE is a "thinking" man's game. It requires patience and if you have none, don't even bother. Why? because in EVE you can spend a lot of time getting in game currency, getting achievements like big ships, implants and lose it all in less than 3 seconds... shot by a WT (war target). The important rule of EVE is to never fly what you can't afford to lose, always remember this.

The game is harsh in terms of PVP, and that's why most of us who play it like it. If you remember to clone yourself, you will not lose your skill points... if you forget you will lose some of your time. Each skill point requires time, not effort... just time, time away from the computer, or time on the computer... it doesn't matter... just don't forget to clone yourself or your time is lost. Your ship and implants you can easily replace if you are part of a good alliance who will give you spare/free ones otherwise you'll have to purchase / craft your own.

EVE is a PVP oriented game, if you plan to PVE or stay in empire space (high sec) you aren't fully playing EVE.

When it comes to trials of the game... 15 days is not enough to fully judge the mmo, neither is the 21 day program players of eve can email to friends or people on forums *wink*. Also each eve subscriber can send out one 60 day trial. Read the mmorpg.com eve jita forums for opinions and reviews.

Why play or try EVE?
- One server, one community (50k active on peak times)
- World PVP / Territorial combat (like dark age of camelot only in space)
- Two free expansions per year (15 in total so far)
- No grinding, no farming (you can if you want)
- Offline "leveling up" (just queue in a skill and go on vacation for two weeks)
- CCP promised to keep updating for another 15+ years
- 1000 vs 1000 player battles (or 1 on 1 if you want)
- CCP updates EVE graphics from time to time (unlike any other game)
- You can pay your subscription with in-game currency (we call this PLEX)

Introduction
Storyline Intro - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T84nrp08MWo
This is EVE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOJR5Xauf0 (6yo video)
EVE learning curve (first expansion)- http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3088/2335016192_6003c39c4c_z.jpg?zz=1
EVE Expansions - http://community.eveonline.com/features/

Races in EVE are only for storyline purposes and faction warfare (which is empire space warfare not 0.0 sec). Most people participate in alliance warfare for territorial conquest... the purpose is to own the most space possible, so most players do not join faction warfare because you also can't be in a player owned alliance at the same time. In terms of ships, Gallente uses drones, Amarr uses lasers, Caldari uses missiles and Minmatar uses Turrets. If you do not care about storyline, Gallente is the most popular race therefore your first corporation (guild) will have the most people, we also call starter corps NPC corps. If you want to be Gallente and pilot Amarr ships you can, you just need to train the proper skills so do not worry, that's exactly what I do ;]

CCP owned trailers for expansions... does not describe nor do justice for the game at all, it is just a PR stunt to get more players inside the game. A lot of players who try EVE trials tend to leave easily because EVE is not action oriented (unless you do full-scale PVP which is what the game is intended for) or because there is no avatar currently (will have some in the future as it's been promised). My argument is that as you age, you tend to dislike games more and more... it has nothing to do with your past experience, I played nintendo at age 4 and now I only play facebook and eve. You tend to be less engaging and more relaxed with age and so the EVE audience is typically around age 23-35... you will not find WoW kiddies here. Everyone in NPC starter corps helps you with every question and there is no flaming. This doesn't mean that we are all old and hate games, this only means that we are at a point where EVE is awesome for us, we do not need reflex based games or hyper active games in order to have fun or enjoyment, we can easily relax, drink coffee and kill people while chatting. (though 1000 vs 1000 battles tend to require more attention)

A corporation is a guild, a mission is a quest. When you decide to leave your starter NPC corp to join a player owned corp and decide to leave the player owned corp for whatever reason, you will drop inside another NPC corp where you are safe from war decorations however it is not the starter corp. Depending on your character skills you chose when you first made your char or other factors you will drop in whatever NPC corp. Each time you join a player owned corp and decide to quit, you will always drop back into the NPC corp, so have no fear if your corp or alliance sucks. An alliance is a group of corps. Think of a corp as a division of company, alliance a company. example MSN/Xbox = corps, alliance = microsoft. I would suggest to read EVE university guides and stick with the starter NPC corp for 3-6 months.

Future of EVE
- Future of EVE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ0k0ioROUo
- Planetary Interaction (in the future you'll be able to fly your ship inside a planet)
- Avatar Social Interaction (Walking in Station aka WiS) there will also be mini games with betting and bars to hang out in with other players where you can show off your barbie (eve community word for avatar)

Dust 514 (Console MMO-FPS Connected to EVE)
- http://www.dust514.com/

How to Play / What to do
Basically in EVE you can and are allowed to be a carebear (term in MMO used for people who do not like to PVP) or you can PVP which is what the game is oriented for, you can die anywhere at any time in this game except if you are docked in a station. If you do not want to engage in PVP, you'll probably chat or farm ISK (inter-stellar-kurrency) for no reason. (the bright thing to do if you are scared of PVP at first is to farm isk, get your skills up and then join an alliance ready to PVP otherwise you aren't fully playing EVE). EVE is a sandbox, you do not have to complete a linear quest line in order to get a +1 sword, you are free to do whatever you please just like as if you owned your own private saucer as an alien in space, so please do and finish your tutorial when you first start off, otherwise you'll be asking lots and lots of questions.

CCP's Sandbox Page - http://www.eveonline.com/sandbox/
Graph - http://myeveguide.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/eve-wtd.jpg
Read this - http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/How_to_earn_ISK

Skills
Skills are like spells in other MMO's except they basically are learned through right clicking on a book and waiting from 30 seconds to 15 days. There is over 200 skills so I will not describe what they can do, instead click the link below. Just because you are new it does not mean you have less of an advantage than someone who has been playing for the past 8 years with 100k skill points, what you have to remember is that whatever you plan to do, for example lets say fly a cruiser and pvp, you only require a certain amount of skill points, the points you invested in crafting (industry) or social (mission) or trade (market) or corporate (to help corp/alliance) does not help your pvp cruiser so those skills are either gone to waste or are not used in your task. Players with lots of skills can do more things, yes... but it doesn't mean they can kill you better than you can. In fact you could also own a corp or alliance or be the best trader in the game in 3 months time. Do not worry about a players age in game, it means nothing (especially when they train docked in a station while being offline for months at a time, that means no PVP experience whatsoever)

Basic Skills (Eventually get all these) - http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Basic_Skills

Links
EVE University (Also a corp) - http://www.eveuniversity.org/
University Wiki/Guides - http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Main_Page
EVE Wikia - http://eve.wikia.com/wiki/EvE_Wiki

Battleclinic (records kills and has ship fittings) - http://eve.battleclinic.com/index.php
EVE Influence Map (updates per day) - http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png
EVE Radio - http://eve-radio.com/

Red vs Blue (two corps always at war, join a color for unlimited PVP fun) - http://rvb.tech-pc.com/

------

note: if anyone wants to suggest anything to add on the first post let me know

Last edited:

swartzfeger

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
------

my ingame name is Nachteule Kohen, send me EVE Mail or chat with me if you want help... I am currently in a NPC corp.

note: if anyone wants to suggest anything to add on the first post let me know

Great intro!

I got into EVE around Revelations and played off and on thru to Trinity, but due to a lot of 'life stuff' I've pretty much haven't played since 2009. Now that life has settled down and I'm getting a new MBP in the upcoming weeks, I'm dying to dive back into EVE.

I never even scratched the surface of the game. I learned the basic mechanics, did a lot of mining, got a handle on the basics of the economy, etc. Didn't even attempt anything with corps or partying.

A Mac game writer that introduced me to EVE said the game made WoW look like Minesweep, and he was spot on. :)

Anyway, thanks for starting this, and looking forward to digging into EVE next month.

nostylluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
mining is probably the most boring thing in eve. you can go at it if you wish but if you do L4 or L5 missions you'll make more ISK than miners. the good thing about mining is that it's less risky and easy profit since you do not spend.

when it comes to corp/alliance mining, you mine together while someone pilots an orca which can hold hundreds of thousands of minerals you refine back in a station... the orca pilot then drops the minerals in a specific station to sale it on the market for mass profit, then you split the profit between all miners and orca pilot.

there is also a bigger ship after orca that can refine on the spot and hold more cargo space than an orca... you're talking about billions of isk at once... however when the pilots of orcas or bigger ships travel in space there is usually a defensive fleet with them so that a pirate does not shoot the orca down otherwise you lose all your profit.

while you are mining with someone piloting an orca, you either jettison can or anchor a secure container and put your ore inside, the orca pilot takes the ore from the can/container and puts it into his cargo, goes in the nearest station and stockpiles until everyone decides its time to refine the ore into minerals and transport it to whichever market and sell for profit.

Hanker

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

First off, thanks for starting this thread. I've always been interested in EVE but never had the energy to dive in, you got me inspired to try. I got the 14 day trial and it's intimidating, overwhelming, and insanely fun. I do have some questions:

I'm currently using:
13-inch MacBook Pro (bought in July 2011)
2.4GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
500GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

I fully understand that this is not the 'ideal' gaming rig, but it's what I've got and I want to play.

To play eve I have to put the settings to low, even then it's fairly choppy even on the tutorial fetch missions. I care more about fps and playability than graphics quality, with that in mind...
1: would maxing out my RAM capabilities to 8gb help any? (OWC has the appropriate upgrade for around $50)

2: I've read online that the OSX client can also be an issue. Would playing in bootcamp with 64-bit Windows 7 increase performance/stability?

If you've got any other ideas/suggestions I'd appreciate it.

royal shrimp

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
california
EvE on macbook air

so the person in the previous post was asking about upgrading ram. i use a 2010 macbook air:

1.86Ghz C2D
nvidia 320m (256m) integrated graphics
2GB ram
128GB SSD

and so on....

i can play eve on all medium settings. upgrading ram doesent make computers better, it only lets them open more programs at once, or in the Intel HD 300 case, ups the amount of video ram to 512, instead of 256, but yea other then that ram isnt your issue.

nostylluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

First off, thanks for starting this thread. I've always been interested in EVE but never had the energy to dive in, you got me inspired to try. I got the 14 day trial and it's intimidating, overwhelming, and insanely fun. I do have some questions:

I'm currently using:
13-inch MacBook Pro (bought in July 2011)
2.4GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
500GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

I fully understand that this is not the 'ideal' gaming rig, but it's what I've got and I want to play.

To play eve I have to put the settings to low, even then it's fairly choppy even on the tutorial fetch missions. I care more about fps and playability than graphics quality, with that in mind...
1: would maxing out my RAM capabilities to 8gb help any? (OWC has the appropriate upgrade for around $50)

2: I've read online that the OSX client can also be an issue. Would playing in bootcamp with 64-bit Windows 7 increase performance/stability?

If you've got any other ideas/suggestions I'd appreciate it.

the problem is your intel graphics... that is integrated which means horrible video... you need to get a better video card otherwise you will play low graphics (if even possible) for all games, not just eve.

next time you buy a computer, make sure there is a nvidia or ati video card, make sure there is 1gb-2gb of video ram or more. intel hd graphics = crap.

sorry, nothing else you can do about it ;\ (try and see if you can up the video ram like the guy mentioned above) otherwise you're screwed for all games. if i'm allowed to be harsh for a moment, if i can speak man-to-man to you, you basically have no video card my friend lol

Last edited:

Hanker

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012

I appreciate the feedback and the swift honesty.

Looks like I won't be playing eve for now. It's a steep price hike to the next apple notebook without the integrated gpu, and my current MacBook pro is not at all old.

I assume even running in bootcamp would not drastically change anything?

nostylluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
I assume even running in bootcamp would not drastically change anything?

bingo. since you have no video card, not much is going to change. eve doesn't require much... intel isn't for gaming, the most you can do is probably facebook games. if the FPS isn't terrible, it's worth staying in eve since you require time to learn skills. if lowest graphics still lags and it bothers you, the best choice would be to get an imac (going to be upgraded in april-may probably) otherwise you're stuck with facebook flash games... your laptop is basically for anything but gaming.

Hanker

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
For the most part I agree with your assessment, but I play Starcraft 2 pretty frequently on mid to low settings. The FPS is smooth and good enough to play on battlenet. Ive also played Battlestar Galactica Online (essentially a very lite version of EVE) with no problems.

is there a way to allocate more memory to the intel 3000 via settings or console? if the video memory is shared with the system then cant you up how much it borrows?

nostylluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
is there a way to allocate more memory to the intel 3000 via settings or console? if the video memory is shared with the system then cant you up how much it borrows?

you'll have to ask in another forum, possibly the macbook pro forums... and for games i find it strange you can play starcraft 2 but not eve. (i have a crappy hp computer right now and it plays eve but not sc2) ahahah

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The intel 3000 HD is not great but you can still play games, like someone said you are looking at low/med to all LOW settings but most games from 2010 and further back should be playable with the exception of games like crysis and such.

I played Starcraft 2 on a 2009 macbook with 9400m in it and that was on LOW settings but the game played fine, I also played the EVE trial back then and it worked ok. I don't understand how you cannot play EVE at all with the intel 3000 HD. What problems do you come across when you try to play?

If you go up to 8GB of ram your GPU will use 512mb instead of 384 so you can get a slight performance increase, see this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1199951/

Hanker

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
Its not that the game was utterly unplayable. But for me to deal with sub par FPS on low settings all while paying a monthly fee? No thanks.

Ive been tweaking the settings and its not bad for now during my trial. But also its been the super basic tutorials with no pvp or large scale battles. If the system holds up in that scenario then I'll continue.

I went ahead and bought the RAM upgrade, once its in I'll give a before and after report.

PoseidonMac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Just started playing, very fun but a lot to learn :) Thanks a lot for the info and links. Quick question, would I see better results playing EVE through bootcamp on Windows 7? Is it optimized for windows?

kasbah

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Just started playing, very fun but a lot to learn :) Thanks a lot for the info and links. Quick question, would I see better results playing EVE through bootcamp on Windows 7? Is it optimized for windows?

OSX runs in horribly in a wrapper... windows 7 is the way forwards ;)

PoseidonMac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
OSX runs in horribly in a wrapper... windows 7 is the way forwards ;)

Totally. I ended up going to the bootcamp side and it is noticeably better. I understand it is ported to OSX so that is why it is lacking. I just hope things like Diablo 3 and future game releases will be native on the Mac because I would much rather stay away from windows.

nostylluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
all gaming is better on windows, but blizzard games should run fine.

has anyone else attempted to join EVE yet? i'm now applying to join EVE University as we speak

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
?:EVE Online & a New Mac Mini, Work Well?

Hi,
Girlfriend is currently a regular EVE Player using her WinXP Tower. She mines on 1 monitor while doing work from home during year end on another. Her and and a friend do run some Missions a few times a month.

If she makes jump to OSX and a New Mac Mini, will it have enough GPU Horsepower to have good graphics?

Thanks
Richard in Michigan

Liquidtrance

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Another Eve player checking in. Been playing quite awhile subbing on and off here and there.

Hit me up in game if you need some help getting started, or just want someone to mine or run missions with.
Character: Liquidtrance123

While I agree that Eve is a PvP based game, I have been playing for years and have had maybe 2 or 3 PvP interactions in game. If your careful and know the rules its pretty easy to be a so called 'carebear' :p

The PvP bug is starting to bite me though, not sure how much longer I can resist the Great Unknown of 0.0 security space or move back into Wormhole Space, and now that I'm skilled I really want to start flying Capital Ships. :D

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Likewise, another char. Been playing pretty much constantly for about 6 1/2 years.

Initial days were on a windows based machine but since around late 2007 I used a 24" iMac and more recently (mid last year?) a 27" i7 iMac. Yup that's right... 5 years gaming on one machine and to be honest ig I could have got more than 6Gb of memory in it then I might have still have it.:)

I've pretty much always run multiple accounts/sessions and have to say (relative to the complaints I see on the eve mac forum) it's been a pleasant experience.

Ingame name is same as my forum name here :)

Last edited:

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I've always wanted to try eve, but I don't know if I can compete with people who have been playing for years. starting now seems like you have a huge hill to climb to even be a remote challenge for any veteran.

Pedrith

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
I'm in the process of getting a new computer and looked at the system requirements, but am not sure if the new computer can play it.

I'm looking at getting a 6 core MAC PRO with 8gb ram and a Ati 5770 video card.

Will this suffice?

Thanks,

David

Ovistavin

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
I'm in the process of getting a new computer and looked at the system requirements, but am not sure if the new computer can play it.

I'm looking at getting a 6 core MAC PRO with 8gb ram and a Ati 5770 video card.

Will this suffice?

Thanks,

David

Yes, a Mac Pro has more than enough power to run EVE. I run two clients at a time on the Mac Pro listed in my signature and one client on the Macbook Air. The graphics settings on the Air are turned down.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I tried it recently for a month but just couldn't get into it. Seemed to be quite a few really unpleasant people in chat too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.