Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alicia100iscool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Does anyone know the laws with using photos of commerical buildings in Apps? For example, could I take a photo of Yankee stadium and use it in a App? And does it matter if I start to make money on the App?

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
IANAL, but I believe that you, as the person who took the picture, are the one with the intellectual property rights to the picture, and thus you can do anything with it that you want.

If you're concerned, ask your lawyer.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
You should be fine as long as you're not using your photograph to get around copyright laws. Using your own picture of Yankee Stadium is ok, taking an up-close shot of the Yankee logo and thinking you can use it however you want is not.

itsmrjon

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Chicago
In certain cases you cannot use images of buildings. Two prime examples are the steps of the field museum in Chicago or the lions in front of the art institute. Both are trademarked and photos of them may not be used for commercial purposes.

You can find lists of trademarked architecture around the net, here's one example site http://www.pacaoffice.org/resources/specialReleases.html

Best way to find out is just to walk into the building and ask.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
for some things you need a property release form, much like a model release form, just for buildings. However I think that only counts if the building is recognizable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.