Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
Hey guys! I don't know about you, but I like finding super high resolution images to check out on the retina display.

Planet Earth.ca has posted what they call the highest resolution image of the Earth ever taken, which is impressive enough on any regular screen, but absolutely stunning on the new iPad's retina display!

http://d2g9lyou3wkw5g.cloudfront.net/j+(22).jpg

Just thought I'd share!

(also curious as to how fast those with the LTE capable iPad were able to download this~)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thanks for sharing...:).Going to use this one...I'm a total geek when it comes to NASA and space stuff...Off topic, but there is a new free National Geographic iPad app that has some stunning high res photos too...It's in the iTunes app store and well worth checking out.

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
Thanks for sharing...:).Going to use this one...I'm a total geek when it comes to NASA and space stuff...Off topic, but there is a new free National Geographic iPad app that has some stunning high res photos too...It's in the iTunes app store and well worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check it out. I had the advertising director from Nat Geo visit my advertising lecture last semester, and I heard they're really pouring a ton of effort into their digital content!

Is anything in this app free, or is all subscriber only?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check it out. I had the advertising director from Nat Geo visit my advertising lecture last semester, and I heard they're really pouring a ton of effort into their digital content!

Is anything in this app free, or is all subscriber only?

It's ALL FREE!!! and you can save any images you like to your camera roll...works just like the NASA app, no sub. just free. I've been paling with it all night, looks great on the new iPad too, really shows off the retina display.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
It's ALL FREE!!! and you can save any images you like to your camera roll...works just like the NASA app, no sub. just free. I've been paling with it all night, looks great on the new iPad too, really shows off the retina display.

What is it called?

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008

Agree about the National Geographic app. It has some really nice quality images. I also have the Astronomy Picture of the Day app (if you haven't come across it). I love that astronomy photography stuff too. I've tried some astrophotography myself, but never come close to amateur images on APOD. It takes the right equipment and much practice.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009

Does it save them in their full image size or scaled?

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
When you say national geographic app are you guys referring to Nat Geo Today? Cause I just tried that one, and the images are definitely NOT retina quality.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
Tried sending this to my iPad by using the Dropbox app and got the message saying the format of the file is not supported. Although it is a jpg...

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
OMG someone just shrink it down to whatever size the ipad 3 wallpaper res (2048x2048). Setting an image that big as your wallpaper is silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.