Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
"Micro$haft"? Really?

I didn't think they allowed kids to go on the internet during school hours these days.

Do I use MS Office on the Mac? No. Am I an insane fanboy who thinks it's the worst thing since the Hindenberg? Also no.

I would be kind of hard to beat the Nazis, the Rwanda Genocide, Céline Dion or 9/11 (etc) in the "worst thing since the Hindenberg" category...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I would be kind of hard to beat the Nazis, the Rwanda Genocide, Céline Dion or 9/11 (etc) in the "worst thing since the Hindenberg" category...

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
Nothing about your post is accurate.

Maybe his productivity is writing todo memos and the occasional photo slideshow from a vacation.

iWork sucks for collaborative work, otoh. And I tried to like it, I really really tried.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Maybe his productivity is writing todo memos and the occasional photo slideshow from a vacation.

iWork sucks for collaborative work, otoh. And I tried to like it, I really really tried.

Agree. The lack of Markups, and Tracking changes stinks. I wish it had it...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

And Apple consistently doesn't make it better. Versions doesn't allow a single user to use more than one system (the Versions are tied to the computer, not the document file) or keep files on a server. iCloud doesn't allow for sharing.

JupiterBFPOE

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
The Real OC
Bad Experience

Just had someone in my office run the new update to 14.2.1 from 14.1.x via auto update. Outlook asked to rebuild database, seemed to be OK except all of his e-mails from a pop account have disappeared. E-mails from an exchange account seemed OK, although there were some synchronization errors for a bit.

Recovered previous user identity from TimeMachine and I'm waiting for MS to fess up on their second screw up and provide a fix.

JupiterBFPOE

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
The Real OC
It gets better...

Well... Outlook is retrieving new e-mails from the POP account that disappeared but they are nowhere to be found within Outlook. So I suspect that the e-mails are in the database, just not showing up in Outlook.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Offic£ for Mac is a joke (it's not very good for Windows either). iWork suite is all you need for the best productivity experience on any platform. I cringe whenever I see a "Mac person" using Micro$oft Offic£ applications on their Mac.

I wish. iWork is hopeless for equations, which is essential for engineering. Shame really otherwise I'd drop Office like a hot brick.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Well... Outlook is retrieving new e-mails from the POP account that disappeared but they are nowhere to be found within Outlook. So I suspect that the e-mails are in the database, just not showing up in Outlook.

Yes, thats what I kept getting....Only way around it is a fresh install...Mine is still working, but it's only on my MBA....The other copy is installed on my iMac, but I haven't updated it yet.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

:)

I thought of that, but technically I was not comparing anyone to nazis. It's just that the "worst thing since the Hindenburg" quote I replied to ticked me off, history wise...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

:)

I thought of that, but technically I was not comparing anyone to nazis. It's just that the "worst thing since the Hindenburg" quote I replied to ticked me off, history wise...

Perhaps the worst thing since Vista?

In any case I love your Abe Lincoln quote in you signiture.

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Got a "The BOM file for the package "office 2011 14.2.1 update.pkg does not seem to exist. Make sure that you have not renamed the package." :cool::confused:

Any ideas?

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Just put it on, Word and Excel seem to open much faster now....

It does amuse me though that whenever you need to update a MS product it seems to need to update autoupdate first!

video5233

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Just upgraded to 'office 2011 14.2.1' and now iTunes does not recognize, or display a sync contact option for Outlook now. Is this because the Outlook contact files moved somewhere else? After the latest sync with my iPhone I now have zero contacts on my iPhone, but the contacts in Outlook are still intact. Suggestions :)

video5233

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Never mind, read the fix on Microsoft support forum.

Delete files under User’s Library/Preferences folder:

com.microsoft.Outlook.SyncServicesPreferences.plist
com.microsoft.SyncservicesAgent.plist

Also delete the OfficeSync Prefs in Application Support

Reset sync services in Outlook preferences then sync thru iTunes.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Tried that. It's just too fiddley. If you've made a mistake in office. You can just edit it. If its an additional program you have to remove what you've done and paste back in the corrected one.

Come again? Not sure what you mean, but LaTeX files are just plain text and for smaller documents I usually just have one file that I work with (except for articles/research papers where I'll have a a BibTeX file or book-like materials where I will, by choice, split chapters into separate files). Perhaps you're talking about equation editors like LaTeXiT. Those are also optional--if you know or learn the actual LaTeX behind them (which I confess can take some time for more complex equations, but not really much more than learning things in an a Word-like equation editor), you don't need them. :)

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Come again? Not sure what you mean, but LaTeX files are just plain text and for smaller documents I usually just have one file that I work with (except for articles/research papers where I'll have a a BibTeX file or book-like materials where I will, by choice, split chapters into separate files). Perhaps you're talking about equation editors like LaTeXiT. Those are also optional--if you know or learn the actual LaTeX behind them (which I confess can take some time for more complex equations, but not really much more than learning things in an a Word-like equation editor), you don't need them. :)

I'm pretty sure the one you quoted just wanted to put some equations into iWork documents and later update them, not to move complete documents to LaTeX and abandon iWork completely.

mary011

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
HongKong
that looks very nice

sometimes,microsoft do some suprised things and let us unprepa.But i like it very much. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.