Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Except I havent actually broken my phone. My point with that statement was that the monetary loss is more or less irrelevant to me. To me, the overall worse feel is not worth the potential savings. Honestly, if the phone broke so often that I had to replace it every month, I'd switch to another brand.

And your assertion that the phone will break is a logical fallacy. Chance has no memory. I could hypothetically drop my phone 1,000,000 times and not shatter either side. Someone else could drop theirs just once and have it shatter into a million pieces. A case doesnt eliminate that possibility either. Just reduces the chance. By your logic, even with a case the phone *will* shatter; just later. So why bother? You'd have to spend the replacement cost either way, right?

There's a quote by Dr. Cox (from scrubs) that I always keep in mind: "statistics break down at the individual level" - statistics only give you information about a population; they tell you nothing of what will happen to one person. At the individual level, there are too many variables to be able to give a real probability. Someone who's extremely careful and generally protective of his gadgets may only break the phone 1 time in a decade. Someone else may break on average 90 per decade. In the population, the failure rates averages out to the population's probability of breaking the device in a given time period... But you cannot make an assumption about an individual without taking all the confounding variables out of the equation.

You'd switch to another brand because YOU didn't protect it properly? That's ridiculous.

I know it's not 100%. You do what you reasonably can, and that's put a decent case on it. I have an Incipio dual-layer case that drastically reduces the energy imparted on the corners when it drops. Yes, a drop could be so bad that it still shatters, but at least the vast majority of the time, it's a non-issue. Over it's lifetime, even in a case like that (much less an Otterbox), it's not likely to shatter. Without one, it's vritually guaranteed to shatter. That's why almost all iPhones have cases on them, and of the few that don't most of them have cracked or shattered screens.

Yes, there is individual variation, that doesn't excuse you from taking what precautions are reasonably and easily available.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
You'd switch to another brand because YOU didn't protect it properly? That's ridiculous.

I know it's not 100%. You do what you reasonably can, and that's put a decent case on it. I have an Incipio dual-layer case that drastically reduces the energy imparted on the corners when it drops. Yes, a drop could be so bad that it still shatters, but at least the vast majority of the time, it's a non-issue. Over it's lifetime, even in a case like that (much less an Otterbox), it's not likely to shatter. Without one, it's vritually guaranteed to shatter. That's why almost all iPhones have cases on them, and of the few that don't most of them have cracked or shattered screens.

Yes, there is individual variation, that doesn't excuse you from taking what precautions are reasonably and easily available.

I don't think anyone argues that a case offers better protection than a naked phone alone. The point is that some people are willing to accept the risk in order to have a naked phone, if that look/feel is preferable to them. Some people think the case adds to the look and feel of the phone, others don't. I happen to fall into the latter category. A case's only true value IMO is protection. I don't think it adds anything to the phone, I like the phone's design as it stands on its own. If I were in the habit of dropping my phone on a daily basis, I would make myself deal with a case. But for the one drop every 1-2 months, I don't mind taking my chances so that I can more fully enjoy my phone as I prefer it.

The only case I would consider really is the Lifeproof or other water proof case. And that would be for special occasions/plans only, not a day to day thing. Like if I'm going for a day at the beach or something.

And in the end - you won't be expected to pay for someone else's broken phone, so let them do what works for them. If the replacement fee were coming out of your pocket, then you might deserve a say in how others use their phones. But otherwise.....

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I don't think anyone argues that a case offers better protection than a naked phone alone. The point is that some people are willing to accept the risk in order to have a naked phone, if that look/feel is preferable to them. Some people think the case adds to the look and feel of the phone, others don't. I happen to fall into the latter category. A case's only true value IMO is protection. I don't think it adds anything to the phone, I like the phone's design as it stands on its own. If I were in the habit of dropping my phone on a daily basis, I would make myself deal with a case. But for the one drop every 1-2 months, I don't mind taking my chances so that I can more fully enjoy my phone as I prefer it.

The only case I would consider really is the Lifeproof or other water proof case. And that would be for special occasions/plans only, not a day to day thing. Like if I'm going for a day at the beach or something.

And in the end - you won't be expected to pay for someone else's broken phone, so let them do what works for them. If the replacement fee were coming out of your pocket, then you might deserve a say in how others use their phones. But otherwise.....

I'm always amazed at the stupidity of things people do... like own an iPhone without a case. It's such an easy thing to do, mine was $13, and there are much cheaper ones out there that offer varying levels of protection and size/looks.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I'm always amazed at the stupidity of things people do... like own an iPhone without a case. It's such an easy thing to do, mine was $13, and there are much cheaper ones out there that offer varying levels of protection and size/looks.
Simply because most cases make the iPhone look even more brick-like than it already does.

I have a bumper, simply because the little bugger is too slippery to hold on to, but won't go for a full case because it make the phone look and feel like a brick.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Using the case is the most dumbest, most moronic thing ever in the entire universe. And I wish I could punch everyone in the face legally, thats how against it i am!

Buy a sleek, nice look phone and then slap the ugliest case you can find on it. Whine about how expensive your phone is and then buy a $50 case for it. Brag about how its made from stainless steel and Gorilla scratch free, bulletproof glass then put it in a huge vault made out of indestructible, bullet proof titanium reinforced concrete.

Logic. I really wish people would think like I do because I really feel this is just the most retarded thing ever and it bothers me so much. And I just don't understand it at all

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Why do people go on about how droolworthy their phone looks and then immediately slap on a big 'ol case on it. Honestly. Why do people even care how a phone looks anymore? Majority of people have bumpers, barely there cases, or full armor cases on their phones. Even a bumper completely takes away from the design of a phone. If you think it doesn't, then how would you like the iphone to have that bumper as a permanent fixture? Why design a phone that will shatter with one accidental drop? .....

....The competition has already passed you in performance, and now they have caught up in design and ability to pass drop tests without shattering their screens.

This again? No competition has not surpassed anyone.

1. All smartphones that have a full glass front will break when dropped and hit the wrong way. Apple, HTC, Samsung, Motorola. Fact of life. And they are all Gorilla Glass, like the iPhone

a. Isolated YouTube videos you see comparing drop tests with Apple to another phone are misleading. Look up the statistics from phone insurance companies... with 40,000 data points to analyze, iPhone have the same front screen breakage rates as other phones...when you remove the bias of the rear screen breaking.

2. I do agree that having a back glass is not great. It's cheap to replace, but most people have a case or protector for the back screen. Dropped it once, and the brass showed through the black surface...

3. Finally, people like to personalize their phones...so cases.

4. Even 30 years ago, when I had my nice new shiny Nikon F3, black aluminium, I struggled whether or not to put it in a case...when I did drop it, the brass underneath showed through. Same with my little Canon digital now. Carry it in a small case.

a. Case or no case...is an old story. Just do what you feel like doing.

Last edited:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Simply because most cases make the iPhone look even more brick-like than it already does.

I have a bumper, simply because the little bugger is too slippery to hold on to, but won't go for a full case because it make the phone look and feel like a brick.

Not really. A good case enhances the look and feel of the iPhone.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I am VERY careful with my phone but still have dropped it. Depends what different kind of activities you do with your phone. If you're very active outdoors then you will eventually drop it no matter how careful you are. I wish I didn't have to use a case but I do because glass and soft metal don't make for durable products. I'm hoping that Apple's new materials and Liquipel will solve this problem.

The phone has been pretty resilient for me. I've dropped it (naked and in the Tuch Sleeve) and natta. My 10 month old son has gotten a hold of it a few times and gave it a toss at an Applebees and throughout the house and still no scratch/dents. I only have a screen protector.

Sammi :)

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2011
Sheffield, UK
Who cares!?!

I don't understand why some people get so worked up over what other people do to their own property.

I put a case on my iPhone 4S, and it's not an ugly one. I want that added protection because I'm clumsy and drop things a lot and I don't usually wear anything with pockets which means putting my iPhone in my bag with loads of stuff that might scratch it up. I want to be able to sell it after I'm done with it so it needs to be in good condition. And obviously I buy cases that I like, that I think look nice so I don't really think I'm missing out on its design. Yeah they do look better naked, but I'm sure my iPhone wouldn't be pretty for long if I didn't have a case. :p

I also put a case on my MBP, so shoot me. I actually prefer the look of my MBP with a black case on though. :D

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
It's all preference. I've done the case thing, and got tired of em. Everyone has a preference, some like to be naked, others like protection.

:D

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
I'm always amazed at the stupidity of things people do... like own an iPhone without a case

I really want to take the high road on this one...but I'm not going to.
So far, you have called one person a rich snob and others stupid (albeit indirectly) for not doing what you think they should do. Some people, who are more patient then I, have given reasons for their opinions and you subsequently resort back to name calling.
People often have differing opinions, and most sane people appreciate it when their opinions are respected and not belittled. There is a specific group of people that consistently resort to this type of behavior at the end of a debate.

Children

Oh yeah, I don't like cases either.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
So far, you have called one person a rich snob and others stupid (albeit indirectly) for not doing what you think they should do. Some people, who are more patient then I, have given reasons for their opinions and you subsequently resort back to name calling.
People often have differing opinions, and most sane people appreciate it when their opinions are respected and not belittled. There is a specific group of people that consistently resort to this type of behavior at the end of a debate.

Children

Not protecting one's investment is just stupid. Plain and simple.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
lol

So after reading and even posting in this thread about how I have never NOT used a case, yesterday I decided to go nude and it looks gorgeous :)

It's an iPhone 4 almost at the end of the 2 yr contract so I don't really care if it gets banged up as I'll be buying the iP5 this year.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

I would switch brands because in my opinion it is not worth owning a device that is so fragile that it is guaranteed to break without extra protection, especially when the device costs a minimum of $650 off contract. This is not the case with the iPhone 4/4S. The thinness of the phone was a major selling point to me. No way I'd fatten it up with a case just because there's a remote possibility that I might break the phone.

You cannot say it's virtually guaranteed to shatter based on anecdotal evidence. There's plenty of evidence for both sides. It is my right to decide whether or not it's worth the risk of breaking the phone to maintain what in my opinion is an ideal form. And why the hell should I have to be excuses? How does it effect you (or anyone else) one way or another if I don't protect my phone? It's not like car insurance... With a car, you can easily destroy someone else's car and severely injure/kill others. With an iPhone, nothing is at risk except for my personal property; I can do whatever I please with it.

If I remember correctly, a study found approximately 4% of iPhone 4s (and presumably 4Ss too unless they changed the glass) shatter the screen and/or back. 4% is not "virtually" guaranteed by any means.
Not protecting one's investment is just stupid. Plain and simple.

By definition it's not an investment; the iPhone would never generate a return. The iPhone costs a maximum of $850+tax. A replacement costs only $200 + core. If either of those values were so high that my livelihood cannot survive another expense of that magnitude, then yes I absolutely should protect my phone. That is not the case for me (and realistically, anyone who can afford an iPhone plan should have at least a few thousand bucks set aside for a rainy day), so I choose to to go caseless and enjoy what IMO is a near-perfect form factor.

I could easily call people who use cases morons for spending so much money on an iPhone only to cover up its design with cheap plastic. I don't because I understand that people have different priorities.

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Children

This guy is really something else, no? I don't think I've ever seen anyone so full of themselves. I don't even care what he does with his phone... I don't understand why he's so insistent on everyone else doing exactly as he does. I should let this go... There's no reasoning with unreasonable people

Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Apple get off your high horse, and produce an iPhone that will pass a drop test. The competition has already passed you in performance, and now they have caught up in design and ability to pass drop tests without shattering their screens.

Ah beg to differ, there are no phones on the market that pass some sort of drop test without damage, cases are designed to protect investments, however I use a simple rubber slip case, I do not like bulky cases.

I am always interested how others passed up Apple, when you look at the big picture, Apple with one phone and one OS is blowing by everyone else?

Android would never compete if it were only on one phone and one version, and Windows Mobile although it will get some buyers is in no way going to whoop Apple. This is not to say Apple can let go of some control, ie, let people Theme their phones, they can even sell theme packages in the apps store, the base iOS design, like icons, and gui is getting boring after 4 years, they could use something new, and if not, I might think of going the way of Windows Mobile :) or something else, tired of the same ol' thing year after year however ONLY MY Opinion :rolleyes:

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
I don't have a case for one simple reason.

Many accessories don't fit the phone if it is in a case. For example, my latest toy that I got for my phone and plan to put to good use is the Glif. I also have an alarm clock/dock that doesn't quite fit with even the slim Incipio feather case on the phone.

Bottom line, it's easier for me to use my phone in the way I want to when it doesn't have a case.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Beyond protection, my other main reason for using a case is personalization. I want my iPhone to stand out from the others and show that this is how I roll with my iPhone. :)

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I would switch brands because in my opinion it is not worth owning a device that is so fragile that it is guaranteed to break without extra protection, especially when the device costs a minimum of $650 off contract. This is not the case with the iPhone 4/4S. The thinness of the phone was a major selling point to me. No way I'd fatten it up with a case just because there's a remote possibility that I might break the phone.

You cannot say it's virtually guaranteed to shatter based on anecdotal evidence. There's plenty of evidence for both sides. It is my right to decide whether or not it's worth the risk of breaking the phone to maintain what in my opinion is an ideal form. And why the hell should I have to be excuses? How does it effect you (or anyone else) one way or another if I don't protect my phone? It's not like car insurance... With a car, you can easily destroy someone else's car and severely injure/kill others. With an iPhone, nothing is at risk except for my personal property; I can do whatever I please with it.

If I remember correctly, a study found approximately 4% of iPhone 4s (and presumably 4Ss too unless they changed the glass) shatter the screen and/or back. 4% is not "virtually" guaranteed by any means.

By definition it's not an investment; the iPhone would never generate a return. The iPhone costs a maximum of $850+tax. A replacement costs only $200 + core. If either of those values were so high that my livelihood cannot survive another expense of that magnitude, then yes I absolutely should protect my phone. That is not the case for me (and realistically, anyone who can afford an iPhone plan should have at least a few thousand bucks set aside for a rainy day), so I choose to to go caseless and enjoy what IMO is a near-perfect form factor.

I could easily call people who use cases morons for spending so much money on an iPhone only to cover up its design with cheap plastic. I don't because I understand that people have different priorities.

It's designed to need the protection. Give it the protection it needs. That 4% is mostly out of the tiny minority of iPhones that don't have cases on them.

The looks and feel of the device are enhanced by the case, so covering it up with "cheap plastic" is not an issue.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Using the case is the most dumbest, most moronic thing ever in the entire universe. And I wish I could punch everyone in the face legally, thats how against it i am!

Buy a sleek, nice look phone and then slap the ugliest case you can find on it. Whine about how expensive your phone is and then buy a $50 case for it. Brag about how its made from stainless steel and Gorilla scratch free, bulletproof glass then put it in a huge vault made out of indestructible, bullet proof titanium reinforced concrete.

Logic. I really wish people would think like I do because I really feel this is just the most retarded thing ever and it bothers me so much. And I just don't understand it at all

What if I don't do any of that, but I use a case?

I don't think I ever whined about how expensive it is. I could care less that it's made of stainless steel. The glass isn't bulletproof and have never heard anyone claim it is. And I didn't know they made titanium reinforced concrete cases, but would love to buy one if you tell me who sells them.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
What if I don't do any of that, but I use a case?

I don't think I ever whined about how expensive it is. I could care less that it's made of stainless steel. The glass isn't bulletproof and have never heard anyone claim it is. And I didn't know they made titanium reinforced concrete cases, but would love to buy one if you tell me who sells them.

They wouldn't protect the phone well, as you need to absorb the energy. That's why they have hard plastics and soft silicone-like materials in combination. That does a good job at not transmitting shock to the device.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Interesting point is, we all knew it had glass on both sides and bought it anyway. Can't really complain I suppose (but I still do).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The purpose of cases nowadays seem more to let you customise the look of your phone, and less so for the protection. With the only real choice being a white or black phone, even a simple bumper can let your iphone stand out from the crowd by adding a unique outline or back to your phone.

I mean, I was hanging out at starbucks with a few of my colleagues the other day, and we were all totting iphones. The only way we could tell our phones from the others were our cases. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.