Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The San Jose Mercury News reports (via The Next Web) that Apple has received approval from the City of Cupertino to build a new 21,500 square foot cafeteria several blocks away from its main headquarters. The facility is being planned to primarily support workers from Apple's satellite buildings in the immediate vicinity, giving them a private location to eat and conduct business without needing to worry about competitors overhearing their conversations.
"We like to provide a level of security so that people and employees can feel comfortable talking about their business, their research and whatever project they're engineering without fear of competition sort of overhearing their conversations," Dan Whisenhunt, Apple's director of real estate facilities, said at Tuesday's meeting. "That is a real issue today in Cupertino because we've got other companies here in our same business."
The facility will offer a full cafeteria, as well as private meeting rooms, lounge areas, courtyard space, and a 70-space parking garage underneath the cafe. Whisenhunt notes that Apple is also in the process of developing plans to add a private cafeteria at its Results Way campus leased last July to support further expansion while the company moves forward to build its major new headquarters on the former HP campus in Cupertino.

apple_bandley_cafeteria.jpg

Apple is genuinely concerned about its employees divulging secret information while socializing at outside restaurants, with Adam Lashinsky noting in his recent book Inside Apple that "company lore" suggests employees have been fired after undercover Apple security officers at BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse across a parking lot from Apple's main campus overheard them sharing sensitive information in the open.

The company has of course also experienced the loss of several iPhone prototypes in outside establishments, with an iPhone 4 having disappeared in a Mountain View bar in 2010 and eventually turning up in Gizmodo's hands while an iPhone 4S apparently went missing from a San Francisco bar last year and has not been found. While Apple certainly can't prevent its employees from patronizing outside establishments, the use of privately-controlled cafes can help minimize information leaks in situations where employees are most likely to be talking with each other about their work.

Article Link: Apple Building New Cafeteria in Cupertino to Enhance Security for Satellite Campus Workers

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
More like Apple is worried about losing more phones in bars.

It's too bad, really, I liked those stories :(

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
So a guy can take a photo of his Sushi with the iPhone5/6 and upload it from the privacy of the Apple Cafe :D

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Overall they make great sandwiches but I was very disappointed that this year they started slicing the turkey a little bit thicker than previous years.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Perhaps Apple could also set up its own bars, nightclubs, coffee shops, groceries, etc, so their employees won't have to socialize in public at all. :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Good idea - I'd want people in projects to discuss over their food. From experience, it's when a lot of good ideas come about - when you're being fed and relaxed.

Having a cafe dedicated to being able to openly discuss your project among peers will be beneficial.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I doubt Apple employees are as productive as everyone thinks they are. Isn't there some statistic that on average 38% of the workday is wasted by employees. Do Apple employees really need these restaurants and perks, on top of their already comfy salaries? How many people work at this company? How many people does it take to get a simple task done? How many product launches do we get a year?

Canaan

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
In other news, plans for apple's new employee city have just been released. Details include a heavy stress on security, buildings without windows, and lots of aluminum and glass.

----------

I doubt Apple employees are as productive as everyone thinks they are. Isn't there some statistic that on average 38% of the workday is wasted by employees. Do Apple employees really need these restaurants and perks, on top of their already comfy salaries?

Well I have read things that have stated that Apple employees actually tend to make less than say Google, or Microsoft equivalents. (May not be for every position, but I'm sure about it stating programmers)

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Well they can certainly afford to build the cafeteria with all those billions in earnings. It seems like an expensive solution to the security problem.
Couldn't they just put in in the employee agreement that you can't divulge Apple secrets? Works great as an employee perk though. If you have a friend working at Apple, can they invite you to lunch there? If so, Macrumors.com has a job offer for you.:D

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
I doubt Apple employees are as productive as everyone thinks they are. Isn't there some statistic that on average 38% of the workday is wasted by employees. Do Apple employees really need these restaurants and perks, on top of their already comfy salaries?

A cafeteria is not only a place where you waste time. First of all you can relax and be a lot more productive when you go back to work. On top of that it can be an excellent place to discuss new ideas in a less formal way (which can stimulate creativity).

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I doubt Apple employees are as productive as everyone thinks they are. Isn't there some statistic that on average 38% of the workday is wasted by employees. Do Apple employees really need these restaurants and perks, on top of their already comfy salaries? How many people work at this company? How many people does it take to get a simple task done? How many product launches do we get a year?

So let me guess, if it was your company, YOU would want a nice cafeteria AND a comfy salary, but when it's someone else, they don't deserve it.

Envious much?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why so much criticism? Most large institutions have their own cafeteria.

You make that post like you think Apple doesn't already have a cafe on their campus. I don't think you read the article properly? This is a second cafe just for employees, no one else.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Why so much criticism? Most large institutions have their own cafeteria.

The criticism is they build a satellite campus/campus to keep their secrets safe, as if they have a HUGE need to keep their secrets safe. Talk about ego trip. Nobody really cares and those who do will find other ways to "infiltrate" the company. This satellite cafeteria just a publicity stunt to make Apple look like the greatest, most secret company ever. When really, the people who work there are just Joe Blows like the rest of us, who probably waste 18hrs/week on the internet like everyone else.

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
It's not like competition would overhear useful secret conversations.

All they would hear are fashion advise "Uh-uh. Boy, you know you shouldn't be wearing that shirt."

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
The criticism is they build a satellite campus/campus to keep their secrets safe, as if they have a HUGE need to keep their secrets safe. Talk about ego trip. Nobody really cares and those who do will find other ways to "infiltrate" the company. This satellite cafeteria just a publicity stunt to make Apple look like the greatest, most secret company ever. When really, the people who work there are just Joe Blows like the rest of us, who probably waste 18hrs/week on the internet like everyone else.

Depending on the day and metrics, they're worth about as much as Google, Intel, and Microsoft combined - so I'm guessing they did something right. They can have an ego trip if they want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.