Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Cool.

They seemingly always have the iMacs at full blast volume at the stores I go to and the kids are playing games...it gets tiresome and noisy.

This should make things a little bit quieter. Not trying to stifle the kids' fun or imaginations, but we don't need four different games at the same time with the volume up unless it's an arcade. And then there would at least be that familiar "shoryuken!" yell somewhere in the background...

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
I've seen this a few weeks ago in Washington, and they seem to run a modified version of iOS without Safari, settings, notifications and other similar default apps.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Just what we need. I am in my mid 20s and my IT education was primarily word processing and office applications. I pity those kids these days who won't even get the level I got, and instead spend their time consuming videos and pictures on these devices.

The goal of teaching kids how to code (as IT classes in schools should be) seems further and further away with each story like this :(

I don't know if I agree. I'm in my late 30s and used computers in school since second grade. In fact, it was even required in 8th grade to teach everyone how to code BASIC (all students). It was just assumed people would figure out how to handle word processing and such on their own. No classes for that.

So the fact that you got into IT and such even though the bar was lowered from what I went through shows that people who want to excel will find a way.

Personally, I would not allow computers in school until 7th or 8th grade. I think the skills learned doing things the hard way (fractions, long division, etc) are far more useful than learning how to press buttons on a calculator. Still, life goes on and we have to get used to things changing for good or ill.

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
I think the concern here is the potential creation of a generation of media consumers who barely know how to read, write, solve equations, etc... With parents who use their iDevices as mere babysitting tools with all the games available on iOS, it certainly seems like a valid concern.

I don't see much of a concern.

First off, doing almost anything on an iPad requires a basic ability to read. But more importantly, the iPad can be a great tool for education. It can teach all of those things. It all depends on how you use it.

In fact, people said the same thing about comics, television, and then video games. But people still know how to read, write, and solve equations.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Perfect example of what the average kid does with an Apple device in a store. PAY. And that's what they should do. PAY. If parents want them to code they can take their children over to a Mac. Otherwise kids will be kids and PAY and what better thing to PAY with than an iPad.

good point.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just what we need. I am in my mid 20s and my IT education was primarily word processing and office applications. I pity those kids these days who won't even get the level I got, and instead spend their time consuming videos and pictures on these devices.

The goal of teaching kids how to code (as IT classes in schools should be) seems further and further away with each story like this :(

Not everyone wants to be in IT. The ones that want to be in IT will use traditional computers. The ones that don't will use other devices. It's the same as it's always been.

In the 80's - the IT kids used Commodore 64's, Apple II's, and IBM PCjr's. Everyone else played on Atari, Coleco, or Intellivision

In the 90's - the IT kids used Windows. Everyone else played on Nintendos and Genesis's.

In the 2000's - the IT kids still use Windows and maybe UNIX/Linix. Everyone else played on Playstation's and XBox's ... and now, iPads.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

Less chance of some young whippersnapper taking your job ;)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Not everyone wants to be in IT. The ones that want to be in IT will use traditional computers. The ones that don't will use other devices. It's the same as it's always been.

In the 80's - the IT kids used Commodore 64's, Apple II's, and IBM PCjr's. Everyone else played on Atari, Coleco, or Intellivision

In the 90's - the IT kids used Windows. Everyone else played on Nintendos and Genesis's.

In the 2000's - the IT kids still use Windows and maybe UNIX/Linix. Everyone else played on Playstation's and XBox's ... and now, iPads.

Not quite.

Facebook made on Mac and other examples

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
In fact, people said the same thing about comics, television, and then video games. But people still know how to read, write, and solve equations.

Reread my post. I specifically mentioned parents who use iDevices as a babysitting tool rather than being involved with what their kids are using. And that could very well be a concern.

As to your examples: Watch the episode of that Rehab show with the 25 year old guy who has a videogame addiction. The guy would be completely unable to survive if his family wasn't taking care of him. I'm not saying that such a result is inevitable, I'm saying that it is a valid concern.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC

Yeah! The kid's section should be Mac Pros with a full-screen terminal window.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Hm

My two year old son LOVES playing on my iMac and he's quite good at it. He has an iPod Touch as well with other educational games for on the go, but you can't beat a full fledged computer for at home.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
That table needs more to it. Like a colorful sign or something.

Right now it looks bland, and not very kid-attracting.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I've seen this a few weeks ago in Washington, and they seem to run a modified version of iOS without Safari, settings, notifications and other similar default apps.

Wish they would enable that version for people who buy iPads for their kids. I'm constantly undoing the havoc my kids wreak on their iPads.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Smart move. Truly a device for everyone. From high-powered CEO to Joe Amateur Photog, to grandma, to kids.

It's all about greater empowerment. Take the "computer" and make it something more personal, intimate, that fits nearly into your hands and is fully mobile.

And hey, get kids to connect with the iPad, do "all the little things" like the subject of this article. Watch iPad market share balloon.

Apple understands the market like it's nobody's business.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
My 5 year old runs the iPad and the iPhone without much problem and much excitement, but he goes really wild happy each time he goes skydiving.

clarkie604

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010

I'm not sure that IT should = coding. I think there are a lot of skills in the IT category that have more general applicability and would be of more general use than coding (i.e., word processing and office applications). Is a knowledge of coding useful to the rest of us who don't end up coding for a living? I'm not sure -- I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually not sure.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think the concern here is the potential creation of a generation of media consumers who barely know how to read, write, solve equations, etc... With parents who use their iDevices as mere babysitting tools with all the games available on iOS, it certainly seems like a valid concern.

Kids have always had things to distract them from studies. Right now, it just happens to iPads.

Previous distractions for earlier generations:

XBox
Nintendo
Walkman
Atari
Comic Books
Rock 'n Roll
Dancing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.