Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riveting

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Hello, I got a Telus (Canadian Carrier) refurbished iphone 4s on iOS 5.01, I jailbroken it and unlocked it using Sam, then restore it from my computer backup. However, I didn't see my old imessage info there. I thought it is just a back up problem that didn't back up my old imessage because I am using a different phone number or sth. But now I noticed that I can't view my message at all, it will show I have message, but when I open it, it shows sth. wierd like imessage(-1) and i can not see the actual message. I can even send a message using imessage, just I can't view it at all. I need help, as I understand I can't do a clean install back without going to iOS 5.1 (which will lose the ability to jailbroke and unlock).

riveting

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Need some help please, so if I put in DFU and restore to iOS 5.1, at least it will solve the imessage problem???

Is there any way to undo the SAM unlock process, I don't know what it has messed up my phone.

riveting

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
No help here? At least some one tell me, I should be able to restore to iOS 5.1 right? How can I reverse the effect of SAM unlock.

riveting

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks very much. Can you give me some more detail.
So does it mean it is an SAM unlock problem? I am able to make or receive calls on this "un-official" carrier, I am wondering if I put in the original sim, whether it solves the problem.

Also, shouldn't imessage work even I don't have a SIM card in it, as it works with my Apple ID through WIFI or DATA right.

Your iMessage issues are from being on un-official carrier

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
I have a factory unlocked 4 on TMO, and Group texts only work for me if all recipients are on iPhones. There is no Group Message toggle in message settings. No idea how to fix this.
So maybe its not an unlock issue, but a carrier issue.
I googled and searched here for a fix. No luck.

riveting

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
So if I give up unlock and jail broke, is that safe to put it in DFU mode and restore through iTunes and upgrade to iOS 5.1. It should solve my problem right

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So if I give up unlock and jail broke, is that safe to put it in DFU mode and restore through iTunes and upgrade to iOS 5.1. It should solve my problem right

If you unlocked your phone yourself putting it into dfu isn't likely to help you at all. Many, if not all, unlocks change the baseband firmware. So when you try to restore the phone it will brick due to the conflict of what software is on the phone and what Apple expects to be there.

The only way to avoid a possible brick is to restore using a custom setup that uses the altered software matching your unlock. Which also means what broke iMessages. Or you can google to see if someone created software to reverse the specific unlock you used, to get the phone back to Apple form and then try the dfu

riveting

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
A followup if any one interested. I did put it in DFU mode and let itune restore it and upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 and everything works fine now. However, whenever I tried to back up from my old saved back up on itues, it gives me errors and can not complete. So I end up set it up using a new iphone. Kind of sucks but it already waste me too much time on this, would never try those non-reliable unlock method again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.