Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

java_icon.jpg

Back in late 2010, Apple announced that it would cease supporting Java for OS X, with Steve Jobs noting that Apple was always a version behind that being distributed by Sun/Oracle, which handled Java for all other platforms.

Confusion about whether Oracle would step into the Java void created by Apple's removal of support was addressed several weeks later when Apple and Oracle announced plans to expand Oracle's OpenJDK project to include OS X as a means to deliver Java SE 7 to Mac users.

Oracle today announced that is taking the next step toward OS X compatibility with the release of Java SE 7 Update 4 and JavaFX 2.1. For Java developers, the update marks the first release of the Java Development Kit (JDK) and JavaFX Software Development Kit for OS X. The OpenJDK community is continuing its work on a consumer version of Java SE 7 for OS X, and Oracle says that a public release for consumers will be coming "later in 2012".
This release marks Oracle's first delivery of both the Java Development Kit (JDK) and JavaFX Software Development Kit (SDK) for Mac OS X.

- Java developers can now download Oracle's JDK, which includes the JavaFX SDK, for Mac OS X from the Oracle Technology Network (OTN).

- Oracle plans to release a consumer version of Java SE 7, including the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for Mac OS X later in 2012.
While the transition to Oracle/OpenJDK for Java support on OS X continues, Steve Jobs' comments about Apple's Java packages always being a version behind and how that arrangement "may not be the best way to do it" proved prescient in recent weeks with the appearance of the Flashback malware. The latest incarnations of Flashback managed to infect over 600,000 Macs by taking advantage of a vulnerability in Java that had been patched by Oracle in February but which had not yet been patched on OS X.

In response, Apple released several updates to Java for OS X, including one that disables the automatic execution of Java applets. As an additional layer of security, once a user manually turns on automatic execution, the system will once again disable it after a period of time if no applets have been executed.

Article Link: Oracle Releases Java Development Kits for OS X as Work on Java SE 7 for Mac Continues

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Still another security feature is not updating hardware to run stuff efficiently...

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
It's going to be annoying not getting this from Software Update. Maybe they can release it from the App Store though?

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Java is still java no matter where our updates come from...

Xenu007

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Banish Java now!

Java is the worst thing about OS X. It's like having a little bit of Microsoft under the hood to hog memory and weaken security. Banish it forever! And while you're at it, banish Javascript from the web!

appsforkids

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
US
No offense, but I would like to remove JAVA from my mac, and if it's not too much trouble could we remove it from my DVR that takes 30 minutes to boot as well?

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
good

I am most pleased with this development. This is exactly where this needs to go. I applaud Oracle for their work and taking on the job of Java releases for OS X - just like all the other platforms. It's home and the responsibility now rests in the correct place, and this will make Java development for those using Mac systems actually plausible - more than just a sideshow experimental exercise.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Java is the worst thing about OS X. It's like having a little bit of Microsoft under the hood to hog memory and weaken security. Banish it forever! And while you're at it, banish Javascript from the web!

You do realize that Java and JavaScript are completely different, correct? While JS is hardly a pleasant language to code in (in my opinion), few modern websites would work without it (e.g., Gmail, which was one of the pioneer apps in pushing its capabilities).

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc

You do know that javascript is not Java right?

Also, sure, lets banish Java, a cross platform runtime that is used practically everywhere :rolleyes:

Anyway, on topic; good to know :)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Like ANYTHING - If you don't need Java, don't install it - it hasn't been a default part of OS X since at least Lion, maybe SL, i forget...

However, some people do need it (and not just for minecraft - many network admin tools, etc use it).

Personally I don't know why this didn't happen sooner. The sooner it is supported by Oracle, the sooner apple don't get the blame for security holes on it.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States

You certainly have no understanding what Java or Javascript is.

Anyways. I'm looking forward to Java 7. I don't particularly like Java since it's too verbose imo but Java 7 is supposed to make some things less verbose especially when you catch exceptions. Now I don't need four separate lines to catch four exceptions.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Well...

So I learned some Java over last summer (intro course). Literally the day after the classes ended, Java 7 was released—for Windows; I didn't have a Mac back then, though. However, it's been many months and now the JDK for OS X is out? "What took them so long" is all I can say...

In general, Mac stuff come out later so there's not much of a surprise here.

dempson

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Wellington, New Zealand
I Wonder if this will work on PPC Leopard?

Edit: the coming Runtime of course.

No. JDK/JRE 7 Update 4 Requires 10.7.2 or later (Intel only).

See the release notes.

It would be reasonable to assume that future updates will require Lion or later, so Snow Leopard isn't going to get Java SE 7.

Mac OS X on PPC (or Intel for Leopard and earlier) is not going to get any further Java updates, since it would need Apple to update their integrated port of Java, and they won't do that for a system version they are no longer supporting.

As per their earlier announcement, Apple will continue to support Java SE 6 on Snow Leopard and Lion, at least until they stop doing security updates for those OS versions.

Once Apple stops updating Java for Snow Leopard it will have to be disabled manually in web browsers for safety, as is already the case for Leopard and earlier.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
You do realize that Java and JavaScript are completely different, correct? While JS is hardly a pleasant language to code in (in my opinion), few modern websites would work without it (e.g., Gmail, which was one of the pioneer apps in pushing its capabilities).

There are plenty of client-side scripting language options to replace Javascript. If you ask me if I know the difference between these two languages then you truly are daft.

The original team on Java and it's Foundation Classes came from NeXT. I'll end the conversation now. The Oak Programming Language is a compromise between ObjC and C++ and a real hog, though nothing of a hog compared to Flash.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
No. JDK/JRE 7 Update 4 Requires 10.7.2 or later (Intel only).

See the release notes.

It would be reasonable to assume that future updates will require Lion or later, so Snow Leopard isn't going to get Java SE 7.

Mac OS X on PPC (or Intel for Leopard and earlier) is not going to get any further Java updates, since it would need Apple to update their integrated port of Java, and they won't do that for a system version they are no longer supporting.

As per their earlier announcement, Apple will continue to support Java SE 6 on Snow Leopard and Lion, at least until they stop doing security updates for those OS versions.

Once Apple stops updating Java for Snow Leopard it will have to be disabled manually in web browsers for safety, as is already the case for Leopard and earlier.

Thats unfortunate. My Powermac G5 would have made a great Minecraft Machine.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Java is the worst thing about OS X. It's like having a little bit of Microsoft under the hood to hog memory and weaken security. Banish it forever!

I agree that desktop Java and web Java applets need to go (and they have for the most part), but server-side Java is very important to the success of OS X. Even at Apple, Java powers online Apple Store, iCloud, and more. And much of Google is written in Java.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010

I almost died with laughter at this statement. People STILL confuse Java with javascript?

Banish javascript from the web? Turn off javascript from your browser. Enjoy gimped web surfing.

There are plenty of client-side scripting language options to replace Javascript. If you ask me if I know the difference between these two languages then you truly are daft.

The original team on Java and it's Foundation Classes came from NeXT. I'll end the conversation now. The Oak Programming Language is a compromise between ObjC and C++ and a real hog, though nothing of a hog compared to Flash.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
speaking of java, anyone up for taking my prog2 exam this semester? :p i dont want to fail it a 3rd time. i admire devs, its beyond me how people understand these things, so many different code lines and stuff to remember that makes no sense whatsoever to me. ill never understand how i passed prog 1 :D

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Oh dear... :rolleyes:

Java is a programming language

JavaScript is a scripting language

Neither are remotely similar, they just both have 'java' in their name.

JavaScript is what keeps the internet ticking over. Virtually every single site on the web makes use of Javacript. It's fast, easy to use, and does some fantastic stuff. One such example of what a bit of CSS and Javascript together can do, is this: http://www.edankwan.com/lab/3dit

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Hurrah!

Heck even for a University assignment this semester I ran into issues where I'd developed everything on my PC running the latest Java version, and then it just wouldn't run on my Macs as I'd used same Java 7 features (multi-catch exception handling, try-with-resource statements, etc). And of-course, were University's lab PCs even running Java 7? No they ****ing weren't :mad:.

Ended up hacking my code to pieces to make it work properly on Java 6.

Rages me when people go on about how Java is platform independent.

Solution? Just do everything in C# .NET through Visual Studio in a VM.

karlth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Java on desktops is a disaster, always has been. Those who have worked with it on servers mostly agree though that it is quite useful there.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Thats unfortunate. My Powermac G5 would have made a great Minecraft Machine.

It can still be one: Just install Linux on it and use IBM's Java runtime for PowerPC CPUs or one of the other Java VMs for PowerPC Linux.

Life has less restrictions once you've left Apple land.

----------

I had enough already. I de-installed Java. Just not worth the hassle.

That only means one thing: You didn't need Java in the first place.

----------

Java on desktops is a disaster,

Maybe. It obviously works very well on Android. Or on Lego Mindstorms, for that matter. Or in BluRay players. Or TVs. The list is actually very long, once you start thinking about it. According to SUN/Oracle, more than 3 billion(!) devices out there have Java on them. It's the most successful software platform on the world. I guess there must be a reason for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.