Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I could care less about time stamping each text.
SP3LB.png

Ant1108

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Soul weapon:
Why would such a feature take so long to implement! It is a good idea.

DroidRules:
Im sorry, but you make it seem like jailbreaking and finding that app is such an easy task to do. There are a lot or users and first timers that doing such a thing is a difficult class. But thats not the point. Why would Apple not give a option to timestamp each text? Theres really no reason to try justifying it.

And if its clobbered its clobbered! I just would like the damn option to have it on! With soul weapons idea of being able to touch an area of the text to see the timestamp, clobberness wouldn't be a factor!

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Trust me... it's possible to care less. I would have to go into some deep astrophysics to prove it to you but who has the time?

DroidRules:
Im sorry, but you make it seem like jailbreaking and finding that app is such an easy task to do. There are a lot or users and first timers that doing such a thing is a difficult class. But thats not the point. Why would Apple not give a option to timestamp each text? Theres really no reason to try justifying it.

You have the option to change phones if you are not getting what you want out of the iPhone. I'm not justifying apple's reasons to add or not add a feature. Vote with your wallet and don't reward apple with your hard earned dollars if they aren't offering you what you want. If you didn't know they didn't allow this feature when you bought the phone then that's on you. Educate yourself about your very expensive purchases and you won't be disappointed. IF you bought the phone knowing this feature was not part of its OS you don't really have room for to complain because you set yourself up for failure.

Last edited:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
The point is to make a cleaner interface for 90% of users. Most people just need to know when a conversation happened, not when a specific text was sent.

But there are many simple ways they could implement this, they could even just throw an option in settings.

What they should do is have a way to view the details of an individual message if you need to know. I guess if you really had to know you could go into OLAM and look...

TrustMeFool

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
I HATE THERE IS NO TIMESTAMP FOR EVERY MESSAGE!!! WTF!!!! Change this, idiots!!!!! It makes me want to switch phones..this is one reason everyone doesn't get the iPhone and it pisses me off everytime I look at my textersation's! What a shotty feature! Meet the needs apple, meet the needs!!!!!!!!!!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I HATE THERE IS NO TIMESTAMP FOR EVERY MESSAGE!!! WTF!!!! Change this, idiots!!!!! It makes me want to switch phones..this is one reason everyone doesn't get the iPhone and it pisses me off everytime I look at my textersation's! What a shotty feature! Meet the needs apple, meet the needs!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't bother me. i have more important things to be concerned about.

yourmother

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Japan
Some people may find it useless but if you NEED it then jailbreak. Get "SMS Timestamps" from cydia for free.

Done. Thread finished.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado

Apparently it doesn't bother most people going by how many people buy each and every phone. Doesn't bother me.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I think its funny to keep this thread going for so long. This is why we Jailbreak, lads.

Briannamorgann

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Yeah, give me ONE example where you actually HAD to know the EXACT time of a text.

Just now..... My boyfriend told me to leave in 30 minutes. (and it's a 30 minute drive) our last text was time stamped 1 hour ago. But he JUST told me to leave in 30 minutes, 10 minutes ago.

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
If you're willing to jailbreak your device, there's a very simple download solution that will time-stamp all of your texts in the default iMessages app, or you can just download an alternate texting app from the App Store (jailbroken or not). It's a little annoyance, but one that can be easily resolved and it's definitely not an iPhone deal breaker.

applesrotten

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
it's a shame you have to jailbreak an iphone to make them behave. Between this issue with no time stamp, no arrow over key and all the other anoyances, my corporate iphone will be the only apple product I will ever have. Seems for the price of the device you should be able to take at least a bit of control of how it works without jailbreaking it. Apple if you are listening, I will never spend my money on an apple product if you continue to treat the devices like you still own them even after the customer pays for them.

mjf81

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
Rediculous

Why are people asking for examples of when you would want a timestamp? Every phone has it we are all used to it. People wouldn't be chatting in the forum in the first place if something didn't come up where it bothered them so bad they had to do a Google Search for it.

But since you are all so curious. Here is an example. The other day I was reading through text messages from a fight I had with my GF a couple weeks ago... and I wanted to remember the exact cadence of the conversation, how long it took to receive messages etc... that went on for a couple hours. It was just a big stream of messages that I have no idea when they came in. If you think about it a conversation isn't really a conversation at all without spaces in time.

It's kind of weird that this isn't available because time stamping is like a basic part of a any database and every developer knows how to utilize these time stamps for a UI that's what they are there for. The cool thing about computers is that they can remember time and do calculations for us in ways we can't... can't believe this was not implemented. The name of the game is information as much of it as I can get.... but this isn't the first time Apple decided what is best for me and I am sure it won't be the last.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Why are people asking for examples of when you would want a timestamp? Every phone has it we are all used to it. People wouldn't be chatting in the forum in the first place if something didn't come up where it bothered them so bad they had to do a Google Search for it.

But since you are all so curious. Here is an example. The other day I was reading through text messages from a fight I had with my GF a couple weeks ago... and I wanted to remember the exact cadence of the conversation, how long it took to receive messages etc... that went on for a couple hours. It was just a big stream of messages that I have no idea when they came in. If you think about it a conversation isn't really a conversation at all without spaces in time.

It's kind of weird that this isn't available because time stamping is like a basic part of a any database and every developer knows how to utilize these time stamps for a UI that's what they are there for. The cool thing about computers is that they can remember time and do calculations for us in ways we can't... can't believe this was not implemented. The name of the game is information as much of it as I can get.... but this isn't the first time Apple decided what is best for me and I am sure it won't be the last.

Why you bringing up a thread that's years old? Troll

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I love bite SMS. If you tap and hold any text, it will tell you when it was sent, down to the second. Didn't realize that til reading this topic.

I can't check on the native app if it does this also...I'm assuming no.

iPhoneWHYWHY

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
it's a shame you have to jailbreak an iphone to make them behave. Between this issue with no time stamp, no arrow over key and all the other anoyances, my corporate iphone will be the only apple product I will ever have. Seems for the price of the device you should be able to take at least a bit of control of how it works without jailbreaking it. Apple if you are listening, I will never spend my money on an apple product if you continue to treat the devices like you still own them even after the customer pays for them.

I would say very same for myself too. Except I would end last sentence with period before word "if". This time stamp is last drop that spilled oversized cup. If it wasn't company's phone , it would end smashed in the wall. But i'm forbidden to take this pleasure. The only pleasure it can provide.

dethwsh

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
blackberry better on this!

As shocking as it seems my work blackberry has a much cleaner interface for text messages time stamps.

The convo are grouped with an overall timestamp very similar iphone. However, if you put the cursor on a specific text, it shows you the timestamp for that specific text.

It is really the best of both worlds. For general viewing, you have the convo view, but when you really want the exact time of specific text, you have that information available too.

I never thought I'd find something that bb did better than apple, but there you have it.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
As shocking as it seems my work blackberry has a much cleaner interface for text messages time stamps.

The convo are grouped with an overall timestamp very similar iphone. However, if you put the cursor on a specific text, it shows you the timestamp for that specific text.

It is really the best of both worlds. For general viewing, you have the convo view, but when you really want the exact time of specific text, you have that information available too.

I never thought I'd find something that bb did better than apple, but there you have it.

That's tedious if you're looking through a series of texts. I think Apple's implementation is better by swiping to the side of the message to reveal timestamps for the entire thread.

http://i.imgur.com/GtOY29q.png

Dannybill

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Text timestamp fixed

In iPhone 5 ios7 tap and drag the text message to the left, the timestamp will show on the right

Apple did indeed recognize value of this and fixed the defect

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In iPhone 5 ios7 tap and drag the text message to the left, the timestamp will show on the right

Apple did indeed recognize value of this and fixed the defect
Only took them years to recognize and/or do something about as simple and straightforward as that.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
This is such an old thread. Anyways, I found this out last month or the month before when I was randomly playing with swiping with my finger in the Messages app, and I found that it showed the time of the text message when you did that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is such an old thread. Anyways, I found this out last month or the month before when I was randomly playing with swiping with my finger in the Messages app, and I found that it showed the time of the text message when you did that.
Yup, something that was finally added in iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.