Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Again, where does APPLE say it? They don't. Until then EOD. It is a SELLING POINT and it would benefit Apple to say it had it as people wouldn't be as scared of it as they are now.

Apple made a big deal out of how strong their "strengthened aluminosilicate glass" is with all the bent glass displays, remember the iPhone 4 key note?

Plus Apple doesn't give credits to their suppliers. Again, just because Apple doesn't say they are using Samsung's PLS technology, it doesn't mean they aren't using it.

Also Asahi makes similar Dragontail glass and they have been associated with being an Apple supplier, which adds further to why Apple doesn't like saying trademarks because they like to multisource their components, including glass.

Sadly, I am the one with facts while you are the one with ASSUMPTIONS. So until then you are wrong. :)

I showed you facts, straight from the horse's mouth that Apple is using "strengthened aluminosilicate glass" and the "majority" of their iPhone glass is made by Corning, and that Gorilla Glass is exactly that. I also showed you that Apple uses components from suppliers without mentioning their names, which everybody knows.

Trying to clinging onto the a missing piece while ignoring the body of evidence doesn't make you "one with facts." That's called denial.

Why would you want gorilla glass with superior glasses like lotus glass, dragontrail, and even gorilla glass 2 on the market?

I hope it's not gg, just more dated technology in my premium phone.

That's exactly why Apple isn't doing that. Apple doesn't want to get associated with that particular trademark because they want to change the specs at a whim, just like how the "Retina" display on iPod Touch uses a different technology from that of the iPhone.

What nizmoz is trying to assert is this: iPhone 4/4S breaks easily because it uses an inferior type of glass that isn't Gorilla glass. But he never answered my question "why iPod Touch doesn't break as easily then?" According to his logic, it must be that Apple only uses expensive glass for iPod Touch, not iPhone. ;)

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I am always curious why anyone would come to a Mac site and, more specifically, an iPhone forum to inquire about a Motorola razor or other Android product?
Aren't these questions best asked to a group of Android geeks?

fullygruntled

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Bella Vista
I am always curious why anyone would come to a Mac site and, more specifically, an iPhone forum to inquire about a Motorola razor or other Android product?
Aren't these questions best asked to a group of Android geeks?

Its apparent there's a lot of Android users here. Or people who use both.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Apple made a big deal out of how strong their "strengthened aluminosilicate glass" is with all the bent glass displays, remember the iPhone 4 key note?

Plus Apple doesn't give credits to their suppliers. Again, just because Apple doesn't say they are using Samsung's PLS technology, it doesn't mean they aren't using it.

Also Asahi makes similar Dragontail glass and they have been associated with being an Apple supplier, which adds further to why Apple doesn't like saying trademarks because they like to multisource their components, including glass.

I showed you facts, straight from the horse's mouth that Apple is using "strengthened aluminosilicate glass" and the "majority" of their iPhone glass is made by Corning, and that Gorilla Glass is exactly that. I also showed you that Apple uses components from suppliers without mentioning their names, which everybody knows.

Trying to clinging onto the a missing piece while ignoring the body of evidence doesn't make you "one with facts." That's called denial.

That's exactly why Apple isn't doing that. Apple doesn't want to get associated with that particular trademark because they want to change the specs at a whim, just like how the "Retina" display on iPod Touch uses a different technology from that of the iPhone.

What nizmoz is trying to assert is this: iPhone 4/4S breaks easily because it uses an inferior type of glass that isn't Gorilla glass. But he never answered my question "why iPod Touch doesn't break as easily then?" According to his logic, it must be that Apple only uses expensive glass for iPod Touch, not iPhone. ;)

Again you have yet to provide any facts that APPLE is using Gorilla Glass. The one article I did find is they bought a large amount of old stock from Corning glass for their iphones to help them recover and stay in business. But other than that, NOTHING says it was Gorilla Glass.

Like I said, Corning makes more than just Gorilla Glass. :rolleyes: The FACTS are in black and white and no where does it say they use Gorilla Glass. And the iphone is VERY fragile to drops. I have phones with Gorilla glass on them, and NONE of them are as sensitive as the iphone was.

Any smart person will know the touch has a better case around the class and is the reason why it doesn't break as easy. :rolleyes:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Again you have yet to provide any facts that APPLE is using Gorilla Glass. The one article I did find is they bought a large amount of old stock from Corning glass for their iphones to help them recover and stay in business. But other than that, NOTHING says it was Gorilla Glass.
+1. No one from either party has come out with the simple statement: "The iPhone is using Gorilla Glass". Why wouldn't they? It would be a boon to both Apple and Corning.

Maybe, since the iPhone 4 is got such a bad reputation for fragile glass, Corning doesn't want to admit it uses Gorilla Glass. It wouldn't look too good for them.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
is there any major draw backs vs the iphone?
Pros and cons are always highly subjective or else everyone would use the same smartphone, for example. You need to consider your specific needs/wants against the Razr Maxx and make the assessment for yourself. Never assume that your needs/wants are universal.

the reason i went with the iphone > all other phones was because of the battery life
Another flawed assumption. Plenty of iPhone users have poor battery life. Look around in the forums right here at Macrumors. Your specific usage plays a major role in battery life on any mobile OS.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I'm hoping the iPhone 5 has is something akin to the new Razr's Smart Actions. That is seriously some awesome software there. It really matches up well with your phone being aware of where you are/what you're doing so it can be the best assistant it can be.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Any smart person will know the touch has a better case around the class and is the reason why it doesn't break as easy. :rolleyes:

Really? Then why do you think one can assess that
82% more iphone 4 owners glass broke than 3GS owners. Weaker glass, and definitely not Gorilla.

Like the touch, the 3GS also has a more protective case, which is the reason fewer cracked screen reports have come in for that model. And that's besides the fact that the 4 has double the glass, as the article states.

Taking those facts, concoct them into 'weaker glass, and definitely not gorilla', and thinking it's a fact seems a little naive to me (no offense). You do realize that your 'FACTS' are assumptions as well, right?

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Really? Then why do you think one can assess that

Like the touch, the 3GS also has a more protective case, which is the reason fewer cracked screen reports have come in for that model. And that's besides the fact that the 4 has double the glass, as the article states.

Taking those facts, concoct them into 'weaker glass, and definitely not gorilla', and thinking it's a fact seems a little naive to me (no offense). You do realize that your 'FACTS' are assumptions as well, right?

Not assumptions. It's a fact that Apple has not announced what kind of glass they use. The FACTS are the glass on the iphone 4 is not near as durable as it would be if it had Gorilla Glass. There are other device that have it and can withstand punishment directly on the glass with a hammer if needed. The iphone wouldn't take one hit.

Try this on a iphone 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibs7EKrTZv8

LOL Won't happen.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Come on man, you can't base your premise on one youtube video where a guy is petting a phone with a hammer. That same droid is smashed with one blow in another vid. I see some guys trying to drive a screwdriver into an iphone 4 back plate with a hammer and breaking the screw bit.

The FACTS are the glass on the iphone 4 is not near as durable as it would be if it had Gorilla Glass.

No, that's an assumption. You simply don't know for sure what kind of glass it has. The only thing that's a fact is that the iphone 4 employs form over function, because the front and back glass plates are exposed way too much.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Come on man, you can't base your premise on one youtube video where a guy is petting a phone with a hammer. That same droid is smashed with one blow in another vid. I see some guys trying to drive a screwdriver into an iphone 4 back plate with a hammer and breaking the screw bit.

No, that's an assumption. You simply don't know for sure what kind of glass it has. The only thing that's a fact is that the iphone 4 employs form over function, because the front and back glass plates are exposed way too much.

No it is a FACT. Quit throwing your opinions in there dude. The iphone GLASS will not take a hit like that phone does on the video I posted and that is a fact. Plenty more videos. I have owned 3 iphones and now a droid razr and can tell you this phone is way more durable and the glass is also much better.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
One thing I'm hoping the iPhone 5 has is something akin to the new Razr's Smart Actions. That is seriously some awesome software there. It really matches up well with your phone being aware of where you are/what you're doing so it can be the best assistant it can be.

Smart Actions are fantastic and so is MotoCast. Motorola hasn't always been known for making the most intuitive software, but these two are winners. It is nice to see them move away from an overbearing Blur interface and add much better features like these ideas. The Social Networking is still there, but otherwise they have really cut back on throwing a huge skin over Android like other companies still do. It sounds like things will only be getting better when ICS comes.

Not a lot has been said about MotoCast, but what a neat idea. Just install a very simple and light program on your Mac or PC and link your picture, music, video and document files to it. Everything appears on your phone in real time. As long as your computer is awake everything is available on your phone and you can trade files back and forth, download pictures and even download music off your computer to the SD card without attaching a cable. It's such a simple solution compared to all the other "cloud" stuff out there. Your content stays on your computer and you don't have to upload it anywhere.

Now I still use Google Music so I always have access to my music even when I don't have my Mac awake, but MotoCast is a great thing and makes compatibility with your Mac so simple. That used to be a huge reason to get an iPhone because Android phones didn't play well with Macs, but MotoCast fixes that and then some.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Smart Actions are fantastic and so is MotoCast. Motorola hasn't always been known for making the most intuitive software, but these two are winners. It is nice to see them move away from an overbearing Blur interface and add much better features like these ideas. The Social Networking is still there, but otherwise they have really cut back on throwing a huge skin over Android like other companies still do. It sounds like things will only be getting better when ICS comes.

Not a lot has been said about MotoCast, but what a neat idea. Just install a very simple and light program on your Mac or PC and link your picture, music, video and document files to it. Everything appears on your phone in real time. As long as your computer is awake everything is available on your phone and you can trade files back and forth, download pictures and even download music off your computer to the SD card without attaching a cable. It's such a simple solution compared to all the other "cloud" stuff out there. Your content stays on your computer and you don't have to upload it anywhere.

Now I still use Google Music so I always have access to my music even when I don't have my Mac awake, but MotoCast is a great thing and makes compatibility with your Mac so simple. That used to be a huge reason to get an iPhone because Android phones didn't play well with Macs, but MotoCast fixes that and then some.

Yep,, agreed. Love Motocast!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So through your pretty intuition, you can read everyone's mind with their subconscious activity? That's very interesting, is your name Something like M.am Mim? You're defenitely showing off your non human abilities though.

That's your opinion. :rolleyes: It's not fair to get off topic by simply trying to criticize another's post, only because you think an injustice is being committed. :eek: (And you said this already). This is just ridiculous, unless you're 12 or something.

Apologies for not responding sooner. I only browse the site at work. No, I am not Mim, but a close relative of hers.

I find your pointing out that my post was off topic as interesting. Certainly getting off topic isn't necessarily fair, but you seemed to continue with it. So, it seems we were both being unfair in some way. Didn't seem to bother anyone, really, based on the lack of comments, so I am ok with it.

Last edited:

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Not a lot has been said about MotoCast, but what a neat idea. Just install a very simple and light program on your Mac or PC and link your picture, music, video and document files to it. Everything appears on your phone in real time.
Yep,, agreed. Love Motocast!
x3 on MotoCast.

I have used maybe 5MB of my internal storage space since I can access all my music via Google Music and all my documents/photos/videos/etc. via MotoCast. 4G LTE means I can stream my videos via MotoCast (including DivX and XviD .avi files) with no need to convert and no lag.

Motorola pisses me off for a number of reasons (slow to update, locked bootloader, MotoBlur) but MotoCast is a winner.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
x3 on MotoCast.

I have used maybe 5MB of my internal storage space since I can access all my music via Google Music and all my documents/photos/videos/etc. via MotoCast. 4G LTE means I can stream my videos via MotoCast (including DivX and XviD .avi files) with no need to convert and no lag.

Motorola pisses me off for a number of reasons (slow to update, locked bootloader, MotoBlur) but MotoCast is a winner.

Yea, i was blown away that I could play my raw HD video files over Motocast. My Mac even has a tough time playing uncompressed 1080p video. My Maxx loads it right up. Why does Motorola piss you off though? You could be running ICS for over a month now, I have been. Dont need to wait on them for anything really.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Apologies for not responding sooner. I only browse the site at work. No, I am not Mim, but a close relative of hers.

I find your pointing out that my post was off topic as interesting. Certainly getting off topic isn't necessarily fair, but you seemed to continue with it. So, it seems we were both being unfair in some way. Didn't seem to bother anyone, really, based on the lack of comments, so I am ok with it.

Interesting? This is the kind of stuff you find interesting? Good luck with that.
You started going off topic by trying to restore the justice. :eek: It's obviously wrong going off topic. I have continued, and this is not fair obviously, but notice I never started it. You did, mine were just replies.
Also, lack of comments doesn't make a right. For instance, if everyone who gets bothered posts about it, forums would never exist.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Yea, i was blown away that I could play my raw HD video files over Motocast. My Mac even has a tough time playing uncompressed 1080p video. My Maxx loads it right up. Why does Motorola piss you off though? You could be running ICS for over a month now, I have been. Dont need to wait on them for anything really.

Well the good news is that for those of us who don't want to mess with modifications or loading beta software ICS is coming soon according to this Verizon screen shot.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/27/verizon-ics-update-schedule/

Considering the RAZR/RAZR MAXX will be some of the first non-Nexus phones updated to 4.0 ICS I'd say Moto is doing pretty well this time around. ICS along with the big battery and exclusive software like Smart Actions and MotoCast... Yep this thing is going to be about as good as it gets in the Android world.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Well the good news is that for those of us who don't want to mess with modifications or loading beta software ICS is coming soon according to this Verizon screen shot.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/27/verizon-ics-update-schedule/

Considering the RAZR/RAZR MAXX will be some of the first non-Nexus phones updated to 4.0 ICS I'd say Moto is doing pretty well this time around. ICS along with the big battery and exclusive software like Smart Actions and MotoCast... Yep this thing is going to be about as good as it gets in the Android world.

Eh. Anybody can make one of those and post it claiming it leaked out. Just as they have countless times before and were proven to be false claims.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Eh. Anybody can make one of those and post it claiming it leaked out. Just as they have countless times before and were proven to be false claims.

Well considering there is a 95% solution out in the wild it has to be close to finished or are you one that feels it is still months away?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Interesting? This is the kind of stuff you find interesting? Good luck with that.
You started going off topic by trying to restore the justice. :eek: It's obviously wrong going off topic. I have continued, and this is not fair obviously, but notice I never started it. You did, mine were just replies.
Also, lack of comments doesn't make a right. For instance, if everyone who gets bothered posts about it, forums would never exist.

Yes sir. I find it interesting. What luck do I need exactly? I am not sure I understand. No claims were made that you started anything bud. But if you perpetuate it, I don't think you have much room to talk. And yes, that is my opinion, and only that. :)

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Yes sir. I find it interesting. What luck do I need exactly? I am not sure I understand. No claims were made that you started anything bud. But if you perpetuate it, I don't think you have much room to talk. And yes, that is my opinion, and only that. :)

Good luck as in, hope you find more stuff like that.
Notice if you didn't try to play the sheriff, we wouldn't be posting here. So it all started from you, Sir.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Good luck as in, hope you find more stuff like that.
Notice if you didn't try to play the sheriff, we wouldn't be posting here. So it all started from you, Sir.

And I never denied that it started with me, friend. But again, if you are so against it, all you have to do is... not respond to this very post! :cool: If you do respond, you are perpetuating the cycle (hence my statement on having no grounds to point fingers).

As rude as you seem to think this is (or that I am being), you do seem to enjoy responding, or feel the need to respond, at the very least, for one reason or another. At the end of the day it's just a forum; a place to shoot the sh** and spend some time. If this were the only thread that went horribly off track, I'd say you have something. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint) it is not. Hell, we have threads about Android devices (and only Android devices) in the iPhone forum. Read through other posts in this thread too. A lot of them having nothing to do with the Droid Razer. It's ok. It really is. (more opinion)

Last edited:

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
And I never denied that it started with me, friend. But again, if you are so against it, all you have to do is... not respond to this very post! :cool: If you do respond, you are perpetuating the cycle (hence my statement on having no grounds to point fingers).

As rude as you seem to think this is (or that I am being), you do seem to enjoy responding, or feel the need to respond, at the very least, for one reason or another.

"Perpetuating the cycle" is true iff you imply you're going to reply. So at this point, where I've clearly stated that, it's up to you to "perpetuate" it or not.
Thanks, also, for your psychological insights. Not interesting, but at least the quote feels less empty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.