Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSensitive

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
I want current design 13", not new design, as rumored, but I want to see macmall show blowout prices on 13"ers like they currently have for 15" and 17"s. If I can snag a 2.8i7 13" for $1250 or less, I'm in. Sorry, no refurb.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
i probably will kick myself if it comes out soon. oh well :D

All in all it comes down to what your needs are, on several levels, some people might be in a situation where waiting for the new one would be nice but still cause some extra difficulties in their lives, and if thats the case and the current laptops does the job for your needs, just go at it.
Ive said plenty of this that my 30 years still havent matured me enough to leave games behind, and for that reason, mainly, Im going to wait, because that way i will probably be betterly equipped for upcoming demanding games, for a slightly longer time.

If that means I have to enjoy the first weeks of diablo 3 running it windowed at 800x600 with around 15 frames per second... Tough, but Ill manage *cries on the inside* :)

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
It's really smart to buy a last generation machine for full price.

Well done.

Well until the new ones are released, it's still the current gen. I wouldn't call it full price.

13 MBP:$1085 -$115 saved
15 MBP:$1600 -$200 saved
17 MBP:$1717 -$780 saved

I wouldn't call that full price. You will not see these discounts on the new models. Better yet if you want a new one add 8GB ram and sell it for hardly no loss if any.

Better yet, add 8GB ram and a 256 SSD for cheap and even make a profit and buy a new one.

No reason you cannot enjoy a new machine now instead of waiting. Wait until Apple gets rid of the bugs in the new machines and sell and than buy. Repeat.

:)

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Join the club - have mine about a month. Delighted with it :)

I reckon 2012 version won't be out till Mountian Lion release in June/July

naxir

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
I was about to pull the trigger on a 15" late 2011 when I read this. What do you mean the earlier one is better?

The early 2011 2.2GHz has an intel i7-2720QM processor (2.2GHz, turbo 3.3GHz) with a radeon 6750 1gb graphics card. The one I linked also has a 750gb hdd.

The late 2011 2.2GHz has an intel i7-2675QM (2.2GHz, turbo 3.1GHz) with a radeon 6750 512mb graphics card and 500gb hdd.

It may not seem like a big difference between processors; they're both sandy bridge 2.2GHz processors, but the early 2011 version has a higher turbo speed and actually supports more technologies at the cpu level. Geekbench also has the early 2011 2.2GHz higher than the late 2.2GHz model. It isn't a huge difference or anything, perhaps not even noticeable. But it is faster.

Price of early 2011 model from macmall with 3% discount: $1586 (free overnight, I paid no sales tax)
Price of late 2011 model from apple with student discount: $1699, or $1817 with sales tax
Price of late 2011 model from apple without student discount: $1799, or $1924 with sales tax

Last edited:

streetmapp

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
My general rule when this close to a rumoured update:

If you need it, buy it, if you want it, wait.

Exactly the mindset I'm going with. As bad as I want a MBP, I don't need it. And even if I gave in and just got a current gen, my luck would have it that 2 weeks or so after I get mine, the refresh would happen.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
The thing is:

- the current unibody design is kind of old (2008). If anything Apple can probably update the design to improve their manufacturing process and shave some $ of cost.

- lots of rumors out there - MBPs with a thin design, no optical drive, and HD screen

- Tim Cook said to expect some cool projects this year. I'm sure he doesn't want to be embarrassed in his first year....

- Intel will announce ultrabook Ivy Bridge on June 5th (Jeez, why don't they just announce it at the WWDC?)

- Apple WWDC keynote will be June 11 and will announce new laptops at WWDC

- I'd love love a new MBP that can run all day on a battery

June 11 is 45 days away.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Enjoy your new MBP now! Because in about 30days you'll be sorry!

Which you'll regret when news of a refresh come out...Trying to stay on top of tech is a fools game, buy what you want and enjoy it. I certainly would have had a tough time for the last 6 years if I got regretful for every revision that come out since my MBP 1.1

Tipsy McStagger

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
If I want to purchase the current model, but am able to wait until the next MBP come out will I then be able to purchase the late 2011 MBP for significantly less, or will it be tough to find them to buy?

Thank you :)

Tipsy McStagger

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
they will definitely be discounted!
Where would they be available for purchase? In the refurb store? The clearance section? Or just on newegg or amazon or the apple retail stores?

I am a newbie when it comes to macs and not sure where to find the best deals on them. Getting excited though, hopefully the new ones will release soon so I can pick up the 'current gen' MBP cheaper :)

Have a great day

roofz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Southern California
Where would they be available for purchase? In the refurb store? The clearance section? Or just on newegg or amazon or the apple retail stores?

I am a newbie when it comes to macs and not sure where to find the best deals on them. Getting excited though, hopefully the new ones will release soon so I can pick up the 'current gen' MBP cheaper :)

Have a great day

macmall, amazon, and the apple refurb store! just look around for the best deal, you'll see discounts everywhere :). hang around the forums and people will surely post fantastic deals that they come across as well.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
For the people that keep saying "Current MBP is powerful enough blah blah... New MBP will only be marginally better blah blah... You'll be happy now blah blah..."

Please realize some people want to get the biggest bang for their buck. If they spend $1500 now only to realize they could have gotten it cheaper or at least get the newer model for the same price, it's NOT a good buy.

If you want a new MBP and can wait for more than a month, just wait.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
But come on, tomorrow is Tuesday, and Apple ALWAYS announced new Macs on Tuesday. Last week was earnings conference call, Apple didn't want to detract attention from those big announcements last week. I have a feeling we may see something tomorrow.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
But come on, tomorrow is Tuesday, and Apple ALWAYS announced new Macs on Tuesday. Last week was earnings conference call, Apple didn't want to detract attention from those big announcements last week. I have a feeling we may see something tomorrow.

Still a few weeks off IMO, although I would be happy to be incorrect.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010

The last two MBP refreshes were Thursdays at about 3:00 am Pacifc Time.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
It has been a year now, hasn't it?

Edit: Oh yes, I forgot Apple did a spec-update to the MacBook Pro line in October. I was thinking the line hadn't been updated since February 2011.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I've had mine for about a month or so now. I too was apprehensive about waiting.

If Apple had released info on the new MBP, and I knew the release date I'd probably have waited :p

That's exactly why they don't reveal the release date ;)

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
That's exactly why they don't reveal the release date ;)

I purchased my 2010 model 2.8GHz 2 weeks before the new ones came out, and when the new ones came out, I was 2 days too late to return mine. You can't believe how infuriated I was...they refused to accept a return and bump me up to the new model....simply because it was 2 days outside the return period. POLICY.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I purchased my 2010 model 2.8GHz 2 weeks before the new ones came out, and when the new ones came out, I was 2 days too late to return mine. You can't believe how infuriated I was...they refused to accept a return and bump me up to the new model....simply because it was 2 days outside the return period. POLICY.

Well that sucks, but to be honest since you are a member of this site you should have known better .. The buyer's guide back in February 2010 said "Don't Buy - Updates Soon" and you did the complete opposite so you only have yourself to blame ..

I agree with the idea of "If you need one now, get one now", but the truth is that most of us are just fine with what we already have .. The problem is that we just don't like waiting :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.