Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpmaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I've been reading through the forums and have seen a few posts referencing how well processors handle fps for BF3. If these processors find their way into the new iMacs how would one play a game like BF3? I'm assuming utilizing boot camp and playing it through windows, but can someone confirm?

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I've been reading through the forums and have seen a few posts referencing how well processors handle fps for BF3. If these processors find their way into the new iMacs how would one play a game like BF3? I'm assuming utilizing boot camp and playing it through windows, but can someone confirm?

Yes, you would need to play it on Windows in Bootcamp. BF3 is not supported on OS X that I know of. Most games in general will perform better in Windows.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

BF3 runs around 24 fps on native resolution (maxed out iMac 27") which may be to low for some. Its rather playable at 1080p/medium settings. Overall, I haven't find a game yet which wouldn't be absolutely playable on the iMac, provided you don't care for max settings and AA. The curent-gen iMac is absolutely sufficient for games Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 or any existing or upcoming MMORPG.

The new generation of iMacs should be much better at gaming though because the new AMD 7970M GPU promises to be a monster. If Apple will put it inside a new model of course :D If there will be a new model :D

iCFX

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Under your Desk
iMacs have mobile GPUs which is a downside (trade of for less noise, size) therefore not doing as well in gaming as a normal Desktop Computer.

While you will be able to play majority of the games on the iMac you will most likely not be able to get the to experience AA, PP and other features which are either heavy GPU/CPU intensive. But nevertheless it will still do the job around medium to max settings.

This is the thing with iMacs they are rather clean desktops to really ment for programs which are GPU intense (gaming, 3d editing) or heavy CPU applications (video rendering). You have a trade-off between performance and the efficiency (by efficiency I mean no cables, everything is all in one as well as power consumption).

For pure gaming either go with the Mac Pro or a self built (or order parts and have it assembled) desktop PC (Windows based machine // oem pc) as you will be held back with the iMac. Don't get me wrong though, it will still be able to do the job, but as the second poster has mentioned already, you won't get max settings with 40+ fps (which of course is dependable on the game you are running).

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Assuming the new iMac does indeed use the 7970m, it will be QUITE capable. The card looks to be equivale to a gtx 580 desktop card, withoutany overclocking and without an ivy bridge chip behind it.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
Assuming the new iMac does indeed use the 7970m, it will be QUITE capable. The card looks to be equivale to a gtx 580 desktop card, withoutany overclocking and without an ivy bridge chip behind it.

7970m 2GB gnu with i7 Ivy will be amazing 16GB Ram , maybe even ssd too

iCFX

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Under your Desk
7970m 2GB gnu with i7 Ivy will be amazing 16GB Ram , maybe even ssd too

Yep Ivy sounds great so far although not so great for the Desktop enthusiast market (worse overclocking capabilities) but other then that hopefully its going to be nice, though 16GB Ram is an overkill ^^

/facepalm me for buying the 2011 model few months ago (4 months ago or so), guess that is the thing with technology, keep holding off and you will never get a thing :p

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA

Even if this is the case, it "might" be able to play current games but newer games usually tend to push their limits and require better GPU's.

The iMac will always not be ideal for GPU intensive games & was never intended to be.

iCFX

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Under your Desk

7970m will not be equivalent to a 580 desktop card, more like better then the 580m but not as good as the 580 desktop card considering one is mobile GPU and the other full on desktop gpu with higher clock speeds, shaders and all that shenanigans.

At least as far as I know, here as some benchmarks for the desktop cards for Battlefield 3 - 2560x1600 Ultra Settings.

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Why would anyone buy an imac for gaming I dont understand. It like buying a mac mini as a laptop.

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
I plan to buy an iMac for gaming because I only play blizzard games. Assuming the 2012 iMac can play Diablo 3 on max settings, I will be perfectly happy to use my mac for gaming. I also use it for managing family photos, music, and our iphones and ipad. I can't even imagine bringing a PC into the happy "it just works" mac universe. Right now, everything syncs perfectly, time machine works (and has saved my ass several times), and I never get any viruses.

That's why someone would buy an iMac for gaming. :)

dr Dunkel

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
If you are not that enthusiastic about your gaming, an iMac will do just fine. Just don't expect to max out games at native resolution. Well, some games might work... but, you know what I mean.

Regarding the 7970m, that must find its way to the 2012 iMac. Really hoping for some decent graphics.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Bingo!

I plan to buy an iMac for gaming because I only play blizzard games. Assuming the 2012 iMac can play Diablo 3 on max settings, I will be perfectly happy to use my mac for gaming. I also use it for managing family photos, music, and our iphones and ipad. I can't even imagine bringing a PC into the happy "it just works" mac universe. Right now, everything syncs perfectly, time machine works (and has saved my ass several times), and I never get any viruses.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I've been gaming for 20+ years, and until I switched to iMac 2 years ago, you know what game I played 10 times more than any other one? The instant action 're-install Windows again' game. Or, if I was in the mood for a campaign, the 'format C:\ and re-install everything' game. Two years and going strong on my iMac, never had to play either one of them.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I've been gaming for 20+ years, and until I switched to iMac 2 years ago, you know what game I played 10 times more than any other one? The instant action 're-install Windows again' game. Or, if I was in the mood for a campaign, the 'format C:\ and re-install everything' game. Two years and going strong on my iMac, never had to play either one of them.

Hmm, you seem to have been playing things incorrectly.

I have a computer running Windows 7 at the moment. It is 3 years old and still on its original install.

:)

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Hmm, you seem to have been playing things incorrectly.

I have a computer running Windows 7 at the moment. It is 3 years old and still on its original install.

:)

In all fairness, I never used Windows 7, and I've heard it is pretty good. The follies I was talking about were trying to deal with DOS 5.1 through DOS 6.22, and Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, and XP. :p

NZPilgrim

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
New Zealand

Given that the current 2011 27" iMac had no problems with the Diablo 3 open beta at native resolution and max settings (barring shadows which were set to medium) I imagine the 2012 model will be fine :)

dr Dunkel

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
In all fairness, I never used Windows 7, and I've heard it is pretty good. The follies I was talking about were trying to deal with DOS 5.1 through DOS 6.22, and Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, and XP. :p

I feel a bit sorry for you :) I think Bill should be dragged to Haag for Win 95-2000.

Windows 7 is, as far as I'm concerned, the first really good version. No more "reinstall every other month".

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
I feel a bit sorry for you :) I think Bill should be dragged to Haag for Win 95-2000.

Windows 7 is, as far as I'm concerned, the first really good version. No more "reinstall every other month".

In fairness I never needed to reinstall XP either.

This whole thing of having to frequently reinstall Windows is a myth. It is akin to a mechanic replacing the engine in a car because the fan-belt snapped. Yes, it fixes the problem but it isn't a clever way of dealing with it.

Dunnowhattodo

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
In fairness I never needed to reinstall XP either.

This whole thing of having to frequently reinstall Windows is a myth. It is akin to a mechanic replacing the engine in a car because the fan-belt snapped. Yes, it fixes the problem but it isn't a clever way of dealing with it.

I've had this computer for 3 years, and have reinstalled Windows twice, (Windows 7) but that was my own choice due to wanting to get rid of all the junk that accumulates over the years, but I'm sure OSX has junk accumulating (ie, programs you've installed that you no longer use etc).

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
There are programs that will clean all that stuff for you without needing to reinstall windows.

I use CCleaner which will uninstall apps and tidy your registry for you. All in a 1 click style-ee

bottleneck

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
7970m will not be equivalent to a 580 desktop card, more like better then the 580m but not as good as the 580 desktop card considering one is mobile GPU and the other full on desktop gpu with higher clock speeds, shaders and all that shenanigans.

At least as far as I know, here as some benchmarks for the desktop cards for Battlefield 3 - 2560x1600 Ultra Settings.

The 7970M is a downclocked 7870 desktop card. That would mean around 33fps for a maxed out BF3 on 2560 x 1600.

I guess on a 2560 x 1440 iMac with medium settings you should get decent frames at the native resolution.

We'll see.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Yep all mobile gpus is just downclocked desktop variants.

The good thing though is that the amd 7 series gpu overclocks like crazy, so if we could overclock the 6970m with about 10% i wouldnt be suprised if we managed 15% on the new 7970m as long as the PSU will hold up.

Murtagh

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012

You are incorrect. The 7970m > 580 (yes the 580 not the 580m)

http://amdfx.blogspot.com/2012/04/amd-7970m-mobile-monster-better-than.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.