Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
To say that I dig Zooey would be an understatement, but I don't think that commercial did any favors for siri functionality.

The functionality looked pretty annoying to me. Seems like the input button would work better if it was on the side of the device so you could operate it with one hand easier, sort of like a walkie-talkie.

Don't mean to sidetrack the conversation, but it was really the commercial with all her clicking the home button that brought that realization to me.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I'm still waiting for Macintosh Girl to hurl an iPhone at the big projection screen and see all the Samsung'ers get blasted away by flour cannons!

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
I looked at the chart before reading the article and was dumbfounded as to how users scored the galaxy note higher than the 4S.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Yeah, they've been sucking lately. The rock god ad being possibly the worst and annoying advertisement I've ever seen. Although, I don't see what's so great about the note ads.

Just wondering how old the poster is? And probably good to not get into marketing/PR/media for a company aiming for younger demographic.
Some people hated on the iPad ad with lots of kids stuff, but most parents of friends with kids loved it; some don't even know who Zooey is. It's all good cause they're going for different markets.
Also been a lot written about their being no relationship between how ads rank and actual sales or customer adoption. One of the basic courses in marketing courses.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I think a really good "ad idea" would be for Apple to run an ad showcasing the gigantic plethora of available 3rd party apps available for the iOS operating system. The number of apps available for iOS greatly outnumbers the available apps for Android by a factor of over 10x, and it would be nice for Apple to in some way highlight this in one of their ads. This is one of the big selling points for the iPhone and iPad is the application availability (and quality of these apps) in comparison to Android which dwarfs the iOS offerings and quality.

A few years ago at WWDC, Apple ran a "live tile" display wall of 30" Cinema displays which were displaying app icons for each iOS app.

Something showing this would be very cool for an iPhone (or iPad) ad.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I think we will find its the sheer popularity of the iPhone itself has sold the iPhone. The Sam and Zooey (yeah, I know. It IS a pretentious name) ads are about as innovative as a brown paper bag and in fact, cost the same amount to make, apparently.

Apple can do a LOT better than this and are getting a tad lazy IMHO - so lets not capitulate on this being "the future" and how 'wunnerful' and original we are at shoving together a rag tag, flowery-worded tosh-loaded spoutage - whilst underusing a top notch actor (Jackson) and bottom-rung 'niche' "actress" (Zoolander Somebody) what's that all about then? Yeah. Exactly.

Let's just kindly say at best - this was a sidestep in Apple's advertising portfolio - and they can and will do better in the future.

I think that's a happy compromise for all, dont you?

Good. Sorted. Fine. Done:p

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I had no idea people actually kept track of this sort of thing. Much less have opinions about an ad. Typically, when I see an ad, my goal is to see it for as little time as possible, much less think "oh, wow, that was a good ad."

Kalaheo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2009
Siri never works like that for me. She always offers to do a web search instead of telling me things. I tried asking her where I could get some organic mushrooms for my risotto (like Sam does), and she offered to do a web search for "where to find organic mushrooms in Arizona." :confused: No, Siri, nevermind...

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Maybe its a generational thing, but I just don't *get* Zooey Deschanel.

Don't get me wrong: She seems like a nice enough person, is attractive in an approachable way, and seems reasonably competent as a musician and actress.

But what the heck has she actually done thats so special? Starred in (500) Days of Summer and a few episodes of Bones? Sung The Star-Spagled Banner at a couple of ballparks?

Forgive me for feeling perhaps underwhelmed by her contributions to the cultural zeitgeist.

OK, so the Samuel L. Jackson bit about gazpacho was a little precious (somehow I figure he really eats Bit Kahuna burgers standing over the sink when he's alone..) But at least Samuel L. Jackson has actually made his mark.

Zooey Deschanel, IMHO, was chosen as a sop to those Generation Y hipsters who think Deathcab for Cutie is classic rock.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
The commercials are a big waste of money to my mind. I'm sure they cost Apple a pretty penny and they are not any superior to regular Apple ads.

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
I really like the Samuel L Jackson ad. The Zooey ad is a bit grating.

But both of these are far better than the awful Samsung ads that make fun of Apple users. I'm glad Apple can sell their products without perpetuating stereotypes and making fun of people.

Noodlefarmer

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2008
Raise to Speak

To say that I dig Zooey would be an understatement, but I don't think that commercial did any favors for siri functionality.

The functionality looked pretty annoying to me. Seems like the input button would work better if it was on the side of the device so you could operate it with one hand easier, sort of like a walkie-talkie.

Don't mean to sidetrack the conversation, but it was really the commercial with all her clicking the home button that brought that realization to me.

If you set it to "Raise to Speak" you don't have to hit any buttons. It might not look right in an ad, but it's easier that way.

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
My God, is this this news :confused:

Who cares about apple adds, please give us some real news: a new Mac(book) Pro for example.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Samsung did in fact win 3 out of top 5, including #1 spot.

I like how all the Samsung ads have the same name. Creative bunch aren't they?

But regardless of what macrumor forums think (i.e. we're biased) Samsung did in fact win 3 out of top 5, including #1 spot.

I would bet their agency is very happy with that result, and apple's is probably not.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011

Do it with your thumb then?

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Maybe its a generational thing, but I just don't *get* Zooey Deschanel.

Don't get me wrong: She seems like a nice enough person, is attractive in an approachable way, and seems reasonably competent as a musician and actress.

But what the heck has she actually done thats so special? Starred in (500) Days of Summer and a few episodes of Bones? Sung The Star-Spagled Banner at a couple of ballparks?

Forgive me for feeling perhaps underwhelmed by her contributions to the cultural zeitgeist.

OK, so the Samuel L. Jackson bit about gazpacho was a little precious (somehow I figure he really eats Bit Kahuna burgers standing over the sink when he's alone..) But at least Samuel L. Jackson has actually made his mark.

Zooey Deschanel, IMHO, was chosen as a sop to those Generation Y hipsters who think Deathcab for Cutie is classic rock.

Ironic considering up until recently Zooey was married to Ben Gibbard, lead singer and front man of Death Cab for Cutie.

I can see it now:

"Siri, play shake rattle and roll and delete all Death Cab for Cutie songs from my playlist - permanently!"

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
The one thing I don't get is why Samuel Jackson asks Siri to remind him to add ice to the gazpacho an hour later. Whenever I've made gazpacho the ingredients were cool enough you could eat it as is immediately. But if he had an entire hour, why not put it in the fridge? I've never heard of someone putting ice in gazpacho or waiting an hour to do it. Maybe it's a thing, I don't know.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
They don't have the "simple & clean" look as seen in previous Apple ads. Until now, I thought they were ads made by AT&T or Verizon. They've lost the consistent underlying Apple look and feel.

----------

My God, is this this news :confused:

Who cares about apple adds, please give us some real news: a new Mac(book) Pro for example.

I thought this was a rumor site, not a news site. Check out the NY Times if you want news.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Pop dynamics

Most of the commenters here seem to believe that recent ad campaigns have not lived up to Steve's ads. Maybe, maybe not, but not every campaign that Apple ran was always brilliant.

But then, look at the list this group reports (paid for by whom?) The new Apple ads are "up," but "just not as good as the ads for the Note." I think I've seen that one once, maybe. It shows all the kids how neat it is to have a stylus and a teeny tab-- er, enormous phone. But the Note is On Fire with the kids!

Steve certainly used to believe one thing: don't commission crap research like this. It doesn't tell you anything worth knowing.

----------

I like Zooey. Very pretty. Her sister Emily is pretty too. Good genes.

Granted. But doesn't she act... a little too cutesy?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
For me, nothing beats the creatively abstract silhouette iPod ads! Why did Apple stop with the funk art ads and go with the "normal, bland" ads instead? Don't know if it resonates more with people, but I think the new ads (iPad and iPhone) are nothing really special. Sure, they do their job, but there is always a rare "awesome" advert out there, and I'd expect Apple to be one of those!

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
How come daily most often posts and reports stop coming in after the late morning or 12noon ish. Thu Friday afternoons to Monday mid mornings is like a black hole time each week. very frustrating to see no news on Mac products worthwhile, let alone anything Apple 7 days a week. :( very anxious for new releases, leaks and supply strains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.