Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwho

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
Thank you Jason! I had done all the steps found elsewhere to set up airprint and bonjour but I still got, with iso5, the no printer found when I tried to print, as soon as I did the airprint activator steps, I was able to print, yay!

but, is there any way to do what I really want to do, which is print coupons from my iphone4 or new ipad (third gen)? the coupon sites require a file to be installed to print their coupons, and I don't think there is any way to do that on an ipad or iphone? I tried putting the file in dropbox but still don't know how to install it, any ideas?

also, getting the no printer found on my iphone, the ipad printed, why not the iphone? is it because it is not connected by wifi like my iPad is? I tried connecting it via usb to my pc ... no airprint printers found

Last edited:

tradeslot

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
Detail on Removing Lock

Hi!
When you say "I edited the AirPrint Service (Windows Manager) and enabled login with a valid account."
Do you mean the airprint.exe? Where do you enable login with a valid account?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
When you say "I edited the AirPrint Service (Windows Manager) and enabled login with a valid account."
Do you mean the airprint.exe? Where do you enable login with a valid account?
Edit the properties in Services. I usually hit Start->Run and type in services.msc (on XP -- for Win7 just hit Start and type). Right-click on the service and choose Properties. Click on the Log On tab. Specify the account used to start the service and restart the service.

but, is there any way to do what I really want to do, which is print coupons from my iphone4 or new ipad (third gen)? the coupon sites require a file to be installed to print their coupons, and I don't think there is any way to do that on an ipad or iphone? I tried putting the file in dropbox but still don't know how to install it, any ideas?
No, you cannot run a PC app for coupons on your iPad or iPhone. See if they have an app in the App Store.

also, getting the no printer found on my iphone, the ipad printed, why not the iphone? is it because it is not connected by wifi like my iPad is? I tried connecting it via usb to my pc ... no airprint printers found
That's exactly why. Your iPhone needs to be on your network to print. A USB cable won't connect it to your network.

Last edited:

qwho

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
Thank you for the replies! so, is there no way to print from my iphone then? would it need to be connected to the router? (sorry if I sound stupid here)
how are people printing from their iphones?

I will look for an app for the coupons, sure hope there is one. So it would need to be something like the airprint activator, something that gets the job done in a roundabout way of some sort. hmmmmm, I am probably out of luck

I wonder how people with macs print coupons, they must have a way, maybe all is not lost, lol

I want to be able to print from my ipad and iphone, because I believe the coupons sites will recognize each device as seperate from my pc and allow me to print more coupons on occasion, instead of the limit of two per computer

planteg

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
Here is AirPrint

It is attached to this post. This is for Windows x86 and x64.

Attachments

• Windows AirPrint Installer iOS 5 for x86 x64.zip
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 4,738

mo1136

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Saved me another screaming match with the wife...

All I can say is WOW, thank you so much! I've sat here for days pulling what little hair I have left out trying to fix this issue with airprint. Have already had a couple all out bouts with the wife. Her saying we should just get a new printer. Me going out and buying new routers (yes plural). And I finally stumble on this fix. WOW! my iphone 4 sees and prints my hp b210a, my ipad sees and prints. now just have to wait for her to get home and still gonna cross my fingers for her phone 4... Can't thank you enough!

To be technical for those out there. All my Idevices are running current software and I have a PC running Airprint Installer with no login password. Yes behind a hardware firewall. To print to a wireless HP Photosmart Plus b210a. Works great after following given instructions!

Thanks Much!

mo1136

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Ok spoke too soon.... I had 11 windows 7 home updates pending so I shut down my computer to load those and now my idevices won't see my printer. Tried restarting my computer, printer and router with no luck. I don't have iTunes installed on my pc, but was working before updates without it last night. Do I need to install it on the pc? Or any suggestions to correct this?

Psycloud

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Thank you!

After many attempts I have finally got this working thanks to the advice on here :) The final key was rebooting the router - no idea why that fixed everything but it did. Wooop! Thank you all.

JeremyC9

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Not able to make this work

Hi all, thanks to Jason for this help, I have an Iphone 4s and Ipad 3 I have installed your file and the airprint service is running on my win7 64bit pc. I have shared a couple of printers. When I try to print from Ipad or Iphone I get the classic 'No airprint printers found' any ideas please?

UPDATE ***********

With great thanks I can confirm all is working now, I tried to share a pdf printer driver, that seemed to break the laser I had shared. Having removed the pdf driver I now have a mono and colour laser working.
Why oh why don't Apple release this officially?!?!?

Last edited:

luckman212

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
I have found that for some reason, at least for me, the AirPrint service just stops working after awhile (hours, days?) Not sure what the pattern is, but for me, opening up "Services.msc" and just stopping & restarting AirPrint makes it all start working again. So what I do now is just leave it stopped until I want to print, then I manually start it and print. A bit cumbersome but at least the printer is available immediately when I want to use it. I hope Apple releases an "official" AirPrint version one day- why this was shelved is beyond me, Apple doesn't even sell printers so who benefits from forcing people to buy a new HP printer just so they can print an email from their phone??

planteg

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
AirPrint name

Hi JasonHD,

browing the Web I found out that AirPrint for Windows was not available from the original address by request from :apple:. My guess is that their problem is with the name, that belongs to them. How about changing to, for example, HairPrint, something that will not hurt :apple: ?

JasonHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Hi JasonHD,

browing the Web I found out that AirPrint for Windows was not available from the original address by request from :apple:. My guess is that their problem is with the name, that belongs to them. How about changing to, for example, HairPrint, something that will not hurt :apple: ?

...(Download source link no longer works and has been removed from this post, download the attached .zip file below as an alternative!)...

See original post! Thanks :)

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I gave up on the 'unofficial' methods and hacks, broke down and bought FingerPrint ($9.99). They have a Windows and Mac version, one key works for both. Best money ever spent, works every time, and you get lots of other options (like sending the document to your Dropbox or opening it on PC).

I could never get AirPrint to stay running and just got tired of messing with it.

mdogg

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012

I followed all of the instructions and everything worked great until the printing part. I click "Print" on the ipad and then it gives me a message that says "contacting printer." It shows this for a couple of minutes and then tells me my printer is offline when it is clearly online. Any suggestions? Please help!

JasonHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Followed all the instructions, had to download latest iTunes on to my windows 7 laptop which included Bonjour. Enabled guest user account via Windows 7 > Control Panel.

Printing from my iPad 2 in about 30 mins in total (and I did lose a lot of time before I realised the laptop needed iTunes). Reckon I would have been up and running in about 5 mins otherwise. Printing from my iPhone as well :)

Thanks you JasonHD for a fantastic original post and for all who added.

Was on verge of buying an HP AirPrint enabled printer until I found this post. New there had to be a better way than having another printer in the house!!

Will certainly share this link!

Glad I helped!!!

wiichkin

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
how to configure PDF printing

several posters in the thread have noted that when you print to Cute PDF printer, the PDF files are created in C:\Windows\Temp\cupslite

to change the location of the files, follow the following steps:

1. open regedit

2. navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\AirPrint]

3. open the "ImagePath" key - it should read as follows

C:\Program Files (x86)\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -s

4. add full path of the destination folder before the -s, replacing \ with /. For example, to print to c:\temp, the value will read:

C:\Program Files (x86)\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -d c:/temp -s

If the path contains spaces, for example you want to print to c:\my documents, put the path in quotation marks, as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -d "c:/my documents" -s

5. restart the AirPrint service in the Services console

the advantage of this approach is that if you have a dropbox synced folder set up on your computer, you can print the PDFs to there and then open them on your iPad via GoodReader or another cloud compatible PDF reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.