Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiseenchinaman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Hello all,

I need help. I just got a PPC G5 for free but it doesn't have a harddrive and didn't come with the factory disks. I have a 500GB HDD sitting around so I'll throw that in there, but what to do about the OS?

Can I image the drive from my imac running lepard or powerbook G4 running tiger to work on this tower?

Thanks!

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
Hello all,

I need help. I just got a PPC G5 for free but it doesn't have a harddrive and didn't come with the factory disks. I have a 500GB HDD sitting around so I'll throw that in there, but what to do about the OS?

Can I image the drive from my imac running lepard or powerbook G4 running tiger to work on this tower?

Thanks!

Yes, both Leopard and Tiger will work. Easy way is to connect G5 to either of the other computers via Firewire cable and start it up in Target Disk Mode. Then use Superdooper to clone the Powerbook or Imac on to it.

However, you can't use the original disks from the Powerbook or the Imac. They are machine specific. If you want a "clean" system installed on the G5, then you'll need to find the retail version disks for Tiger or Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.