Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousPixels

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Modded GTX570

@MacVidCards
I'm too new of a user on MacRumors to pm you or see any info.
Please let me know where I can find your site.
I think I found you on ebay under the same user name.

Thanks for your time,

phiphika

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Gtx580

I'd like to confirm the following:

A GTX580 can be installed into a Mac Pro running the latest OSX version without the need for any special modifications to the card or additional power supply units. I read somewhere that I would need a 6 to 8 pin power converter. Also, do I need to be worried about upgrading the OS to the next version and having the drivers invalidated until NVidia decides to update? (Like with ****** PC's).

Can someone confirm all of this?

Thanks,
Ryan

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

A GTX580 can be installed into a Mac Pro running the latest OSX version without the need for any special modifications to the card or additional power supply units. I read somewhere that I would need a 6 to 8 pin power converter. Also, do I need to be worried about upgrading the OS to the next version and having the drivers invalidated until NVidia decides to update? (Like with ****** PC's).

Thanks,
Ryan

I will eventually create a down clocked 580 that will work in Mac Pro with no extra power, but currently you need external power.

As far as what will happen in future OS releases.....my Crystal Ball started showing static so I took it into the shop.

Everyone got all worked up about the 10.7.3 "magic" drivers but the fact was the Netkas had offered this same functionality for a couple years. "ATY_Init" did the exact same thing, but Nvidia's way looks nicer in System Profiler. Functionally the same except for that cosmetic issue.

Support for GTX5xx cards has been in OSX since 10.7.0. The ability to "self init" may go away, but you can just use Netkas little app to do same thing. (consider a donation to him if you do...it helps us all in the long term)

phiphika

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Gtx570

Would I need an new power supply for the 570? Looking for a simple plug in and work solution. I don't know what a "ATY_Init" is and unfortunately don't have time to read up on hacky ways of trying to get a graphics cards upgraded...I know, I know, should have bought a PC. Thanks for the help.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

Would I need an new power supply for the 570? Looking for a simple plug in and work solution. I don't know what a "ATY_Init" is and unfortunately don't have time to read up on hacky ways of trying to get a graphics cards upgraded...I know, I know, should have bought a PC. Thanks for the help.

Ads will be up shortly.

Have been deluged with orders.

My graphics guy has been sick and busy packing boxes

I hate to put up the ads for this new generation of Mac GPUs with ugly graphics, though I may have to.

Will have 5 @ 570 2.5GB and 4 @ 570 1.2 GB available shortly.

A few cards have already shipped, first reviews coming up.

(An adventurous guy in NY got the GTX580 Classified Ultra...fastest GPU ever in a Mac)

570 is special in that it runs in Mac Pro with no extra power needed.

A guy who got first one has posted at Creative Cow. To sum it up, he states that the card makes Adobe apps fly. He got the 570 2.5GB.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Ads will be up shortly.

Have been deluged with orders.

My graphics guy has been sick and busy packing boxes

I hate to put up the ads for this new generation of Mac GPUs with ugly graphics, though I may have to.

Will have 5 @ 570 2.5GB and 4 @ 570 1.2 GB available shortly.

A few cards have already shipped, first reviews coming up.

(An adventurous guy in NY got the GTX580 Classified Ultra...fastest GPU ever in a Mac)

A guy who got first one has posted at Creative Cow. To sum it up, he states that the card makes Adobe apps fly. He got the 570 2.5GB.

Have i missed them on eBay...? Damn time time difference.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Some are up, will be adding more as I get them done.

Will be sourcing more used ones so I can offer lower cost versions.

Will also eventually offer a down clocked 580 that will live with Mac Pro power.

All listed cards are in stock and ready for shipping. LA area folks can get 10% off, contact us for details.

Fastest GPUs ever in a Mac Pro.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
With the imminent release of the GTX 670 and GTX 690 do you think you guys will be able to mod these new cards as well...?

Do you think there is a chance chance that Apple may support new Nvidia cards if they ever get round to updating the Mac Pro?

Ve3tro

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012

Thanks,
Ryan

I have mine running from two 6 pins to the 8 pin and 2 molex to the 6 pin. Runs fine for me.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
One of the first cards has landed at end users place.

And I have decided that I need to reiterate some things that I didn't make clear before.

1. You can use these in any version of 10.7 but you will need to do the "add the device id to driver" thing UNLESS you use:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f01-driver.html

Big "Thank You !!!" to hard working guys at Nvidia who wrote us such a nice driver !!! Keep them coming.

2. If you are trying a 10.7.4 BETA, you will need to install that 10.7.3 driver ON TOP of the 10.7.4 Beta. (or add the device id to kext)

3. You will need to remove the AGPM kext.

4. Nvidia drivers have historically been 2 channel only. The way they define display channels is more rigid than Windows so cards are limited to 2 working ports. On a Dual DVI & Mini HDMI card, we just have the 2 DVI ports working and turn off the HDMI. On the 4 outlet cards it is a little trickier, we disable the 2nd DVI and HDMI and just enable Displayport. This is not laziness on our part...do an image comparison of Mac versions of Quadro 4000 and 4800 to the Windows ones. Nvidia does the same thing, they just have the luxury of not soldering the ports on to begin with. If you absolutely MUST have both DVI ports working let us know and we can write it that way but then the Displayport will NOT work. Most people would rather have the ability to see boot screens on an Apple DIsplay as an option. You can always use DIsplaport to DVI adapter if needed. These "turned off" ports continue to the Windows side.

5. These cards are REALLY fast.

First reviews should start showing up today.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
One of the first cards has landed at end users place.

Indeed it has. And thank you very much to MacVidCards for working with me and getting the GTX570 to me so quickly. NewEgg delivered it to him on Thursday, and USPS dropped it on my doorstep this morning. That's some quick turn-around (and shipping!)

I took a bad picture of the LCD while my Mac was booting with the GTX installed, just so everyone can see it does in fact display the EFI grey boot screen. After that, I was off to a slow start due to not realizing I had to get the latest drivers direct from nVidia. I thought 10.7.3 had them incorporated, but I was wrong. Once he corrected me, all was well. CUDA-Z saw it, Adobe Premiere Pro saw it, and I started some tests.

I edited a couple of my race track videos, each of which consist of two 1080p camera angles from inside the car: one pointing forward, the other backward. The source footage is AVCHD. The rear-facing image has to be scaled down 50% and cropped. Then both videos then have to be scaled down to 720p. Most of this work is handled by the card. Twenty minute track videos were being exported to MP4 in a little over real time with my previous Quadro 4000. With the GTX they exported in half real time.

That's one HELL of an improvement!

MacVidCards is a top notch individual and I'd definitely do business with him again. Now I just have to find something to do with my Quadro 4K...

jas

Attachments

• booting.jpg
    booting.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 329

killroy11

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
Ads will be up shortly.

So I'm that guy. I wanted to get in my thoughts yesterday, but held off because I had got my hands on Adobe's CS6 trial; it had a soft release yesterday.

On the other forums I had to put a focus on it's performance in regards to DaVinci Resolve. So here I can summarize more thoughtfully. I needed to get professional work done asap. A fashion shoot I did with a RED Epic at 5k with high frame rate, some with HDR, and the varying resolutions and framerates below it. Search around enough and many people advocate very very expensive machine setups for this footage. Very few of those people actually need that power. Established post-production houses that want to display realtime effects and grading to a director/producer/clients are exceptions that immediately come to mind. I'm trying to avoid getting off topic and ensure we see an important point here. This card gets the job done for me. After I relayed my experience, my colleagues at quality post production houses will likely be buying quite a few of these 570s from MVC. They have a lot of Mac Pros, some with PCIe breakout boxes, but many that would benefit from an internal EFI 570. The time saved popping them in and boosting productivity at that price and simplicity makes the decision simple.

Since Thursday I've put the card through the ringer thoroughly in Adobe CS5.5, and since early afternoon yesterday CS6. The tl;dr is: this card performs wonderfully without hassle in a (modestly upgraded and maintained) 2008 3,1 Mac Pro. I'll try and post a video up with pros and cons using sample footage and different cards/setups, maybe this week after a few items come in. I have a Premiere Pro timeline of mixed: dslr HD (1k) followed by RED 3k, 4k, and 5k footage. The nightmare most people skip is working with all of these files raw, most of my peers can't believe I deal with it, and the industry is finally taking the workflow seriously. I take the footage and mix complex dynamically linked After Effects compositions into my timeline, along with PPro's effects, and recently some stuff from Photoshop. Not everything benefits from CUDA or OpenGL/CL, but quite a bit of the important things do with the list growing. From that PPro timeline: I then export a master resolution which all of the different resolutions must conform to, and I have still retained my RAW formats. In CS6, yesterday, I did the same thing and threw SpeedGrade into the mix quickly with some heavy color grading, just to see...

My point is, no matter how good your machine, what I am mentioning above equates to very resource intensive renders and exports. This card makes a very real, very palpable difference. For the price, this card is the absolute "sweet spot" MVC says it is. I'm posting here because it makes a ton of sense for so many users, as one does not need to spend a boatload of money on a completely new machine. I will be doing some further modest upgrades and my system won't be what it is today, but the large number of Mac Pros being used in various fields should know that this card exists and is worth considering.

Many thanks to David at MVC who hooked me up last minute during a very chaotic time. Seriously, these guys are very helpful. He gave me a 5 minute rundown and a follow up email with information. I knew what he was telling me, but it saved me the 20-30 minutes I would have spent re-reading some forum posts/googling to reassure myself.

Extra side note: I've run the card in Win7 under bootcamp and put it through its paces there. I'm sure most assume/know it would run fine, but for those like myself that want to know for sure: I can verify that the card works great and I put it through its paces in the CS6 trial. CUDA being used, Resolve works fine, etc. even with the Windows partition being non-optimal.

As I've said in some other posts. It really is amazing how far things have come in the past few years and the impact we have on products via outlets like these. To come close to being able to do what I do just 3 or 4 years ago would have been ludicrously expensive. Fun and exciting time to be working with tech.

Cheers guys,
-Clay

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Indeed it has. And thank you very much to MacVidCards for working with me and getting the GTX570 to me so quickly. NewEgg delivered it to him on Thursday, and USPS dropped it on my doorstep this morning. That's some quick turn-around (and shipping!)

I took a bad picture of the LCD while my Mac was booting with the GTX installed, just so everyone can see it does in fact display the EFI grey boot screen. After that, I was off to a slow start due to not realizing I had to get the latest drivers direct from nVidia. I thought 10.7.3 had them incorporated, but I was wrong. Once he corrected me, all was well. CUDA-Z saw it, Adobe Premiere Pro saw it, and I started some tests.

I edited a couple of my race track videos, each of which consist of two 1080p camera angles from inside the car: one pointing forward, the other backward. The source footage is AVCHD. The rear-facing image has to be scaled down 50% and cropped. Then both videos then have to be scaled down to 720p. Most of this work is handled by the card. Twenty minute track videos were being exported to MP4 in a little over real time with my previous Quadro 4000. With the GTX they exported in half real time.

That's one HELL of an improvement!

MacVidCards is a top notch individual and I'd definitely do business with him again. Now I just have to find something to do with my Quadro 4K...

jas

You can sell it to me

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'll definitely be looking in to this when (if... let's not ruin this thread with that argument!) the new mac pro is released.

MacVidCards, would you have any problems with posting out to Australia?

mutto

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
Since I'm not sure how long my 3,1 Nvidia 8800GT is going to last after I 'oven baked' it I need to plan an update for my 3,1.

Am I correct in saying this would work and I'd get a boot screen?

1) Upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion.

2) Download and install the driver & CUDA from NVIDIA website.

3) Purchase and install, I'm looking at a Asus GTX560Ti GPU.

I'll do steps 1 & 2 while the 8800Gt is holding up then when it does die again I can do step 3.

Many Thanks
Martin

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Am I correct in saying this would work and I'd get a boot screen?

3) Purchase and install, I'm looking at a Asus GTX560Ti GPU.

If you want a boot screen you have to get the card from us, unless Apple or another 3rd party starts selling Mac EFI cards.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
Are there any three monitor port GTX570/580 cards? I'd prefer to not to have to use 2 video cards for my 3 monitors.

schneemann

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
I’ve ordered a GTX 570 yesterday to germany, because my 5870 died. 2.5 gig, mainly because I run a 30" Monitor. So if I install the Nvidia-Drivers on Lion and pop the card in with both powercables attached I’m good to go?

I’m very excited. Looking forward to that beast.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
I’ve ordered a GTX 570 yesterday to germany, because my 5870 died. 2.5 gig, mainly because I run a 30" Monitor. So if I install the Nvidia-Drivers on Lion and pop the card in with both powercables attached I’m good to go?

Without having the EFI work done by MacVidCards, you won't see the grey screen at boot, and won't be able to get into any of the Mac's EFI functions. You'll have to wait for OS X to start booting before you see anything. Once it does, it'll work fine.

jas

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I'm giving up on a new mac pro. I'm going to just get one of these cards and keep my 3.1. Stuff it apple.

I'm still on snow leopard (10.6.8) - was planning on waiting until ML is release (didn't like Lion).

I see several versions of the 570 on the ebay site. not really sure which one I need. I'll be doing HD 1080p on Premiere pro and some AE work at same. Photoshop and Lightroom main other uses.

Is there a product there that will do all this much faster than the ATI 4870 I have now and give me full dual monitor (DVI x 2) support from boot screen onwards?

Also - is there difference in cards for noise levels? I'd rather buy and ship you one if it's quieter.

How much heat do these things put out compared with the 4870 - my office already bakes with the 3.1 mac pro I have now

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
To run any of the GTX5xx cards you need Lion.

10.7.3 is where the drivers finally matured to the "solid and useable" state.

They first appeared in 10.7 install, but weren't fully finished.

For 10.6.8, a GTX470 works and is only 10% slower.

Every release of 10.8 has had solid support for GTX5xx series.

They are cooler and quieter than can easily be believed. (not so much the GTX4xx cards)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.