Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
After always wanting to own a PowerBook, I am eyeing a 1.33 standard model with only 256 ram. I believe the ram and hard disk are upgradable, but I wanted to find out a few things about the machine:

1) What are the advantages of picking the 1.5 over the 1.33? Is the speed really that much quicker?
2) Can the machine cope with SD video on YouTube, without having to use mobile YouTube?
3) Can the machine take 2.25gb of ram, or only 1.25 (not officially, but in reality!)
4) Would a flash drive work with this machine, without issues?
5) What OS would people recommend? Would leopard run OK, or should I stick with Tiger?

Many thanks for reading, in advance!

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
1)Not that much but it best to have the fastest so its more future proof.
2)yes it can, but with Mactubes (a 3rd party application)
3)I've seen someone on this forum that has put 2.25GB of ram, but im not sure if it actually works 1.25GB is fine for me.
3)Flash works but its slow.
4)Leopard would run great on both 1.33 & 1.5 GHz. If you want to run retro games duel boot with Tiger.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Sorry I meant a flash drive as in solid state (SSD).

Putting a SSD in it might speed it up a notch but I like putting either a 250gb or 320gb HD in them myself.

Some else on MR put in a high res screen on his 1.5ghz.

The 1.5ghz machine is much more modern than the 1.33ghz with Sudden Motion sensor, Scrolling trackpad, Bluetooth 2.0/USB 2.0 though both machines have 64mb video ram, enough to drive the 23" Cinema Display.

I may have one of these lying around, a 1.5ghz, let me know if you are interested.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
So does the 1.33 not have a scrolling trackpad and SMS? I am based in the UK and I am looking for a top condition model.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
So does the 1.33 not have a scrolling trackpad and SMS? I am based in the UK and I am looking for a top condition model.

You can enable scrolling on the 1.33 model using "iScroll2." That's what I did when I had a 1.33GHz a couple years ago. Also, the 1.33GHz DOES have USB 2.0.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
Is iScroll 2 the same as Apple's standard experience? The two finger scroll is an absolute must for me. Basically, when I bought my first iBook G4, I always wanted the 12" Powerbook, but didn't have the funds, so I went for the iBook G4 1.33 in the end, as there was little between them apart from the GPU (iBook only had 32Mb VRAM, but I remember my iBook had two finger scroll...)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Is iScroll 2 the same as Apple's standard experience? The two finger scroll is an absolute must for me. Basically, when I bought my first iBook G4, I always wanted the 12" Powerbook, but didn't have the funds, so I went for the iBook G4 1.33 in the end, as there was little between them apart from the GPU (iBook only had 32Mb VRAM, but I remember my iBook had two finger scroll...)

You are exactly like me. The only PPC Mac laptops I can stand are the final versions that came with Scrolling trackpad AND Sudden Motion Sensor, plus 2.0 Bluetooth etc. I can't stand not having two finger scroll built in.

I bought the 14" iBook 1.33 not the 12" -- and it did not have the Sudden Motion/Scrolling Trackpad and had the older Bluetooth etc.

I dropped it -- out of town -- about six inches from the ground in a bag. The Hard Drive FROZE. It was BRAND NEW. I thought I was going to freak out, I needed it for an interview.

Someone explained to me my laptop didn't have SUdden Motion and that the new 14" iBook which had just come out, did. I swapped models so fast you can't believe it.

I"ve owned the 1.5ghz 12 Powerbook twice brand new -- both the combo drive and superdrive final revision. Best model computer Apple ever made. Mine even will run, at reduced resolution, a 30" Apple Display. You read that right. Handy little machine.

The physical hardware for the 12" Powerbook trackpad is different for the 1.33 and 1.5 12" Powerbook: one is for Scrolling trackpad, the other isn't.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I'm confused, is the trackpad different (physically) than the others?

Physically they are the same shape and size but they use different technology. The reason that they are not interchangeable is that they are connected to the top part of the case, the 1.5 and 1.33 powerbooks are slightly different internally and therefore the top case of a 1.5 powerbook will not fit on a 1.3 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.