Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quintendehaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hi there,
I own a 13" MacBook Pro with a 60GB SSD. I managed to fit everything on this small drive except for my Aperture Library (ca. 25GB). Is there a Cloud Service that I can use to store my Aperture Library in?
I already tried an upgraded Dropbox account (50GB) but in hindsight I learned that you need as much space on you SSD as you use on your Dropbox folder because Dropbox stores a 'copy' of the content on your SSD. Since there is only 12GB of free space on my SSD this didn't work out.

Is there a Cloud Service that I can use just like an external hard drive so that I can store my Aperture Library there and actually use it to see my photos?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Quinten

WhoisMedina

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Rhode Island
Hi there,
I own a 13" MacBook Pro with a 60GB SSD. I managed to fit everything on this small drive except for my Aperture Library (ca. 25GB). Is there a Cloud Service that I can use to store my Aperture Library in?
I already tried an upgraded Dropbox account (50GB) but in hindsight I learned that you need as much space on you SSD as you use on your Dropbox folder because Dropbox stores a 'copy' of the content on your SSD. Since there is only 12GB of free space on my SSD this didn't work out.

Is there a Cloud Service that I can use just like an external hard drive so that I can store my Aperture Library there and actually use it to see my photos?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Quinten

You could delete Dropbox from your mac and just use the website but then you could only have access to anything.

I currently use SkyDrive. Since I had an Xbox and Windows Live ID since 2006, I was upgraded to 25 GB free. Standard storage is 7GB free.

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
It won't work. Aperture (and iPhoto and iMovie) libraries only support HFS+ formatted drives.

You'll need to use an external HDD or OptiBay.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Edited because I misread the question and my original post didn't address the OP's question.

Last edited:

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
OP, sounds like it'd be easiest for you to just get an external hard drive and connect that when you need to get in the library... I know it's added bulk, but if you have a workstation set up it's perfectly fine. And, this way you don't need to have internet access to get to the files, just the hard drive. And 25GB is small enough to even just have a flash drive if you want to do it that way.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah, storing photos online would be S L O W even if you could get Aperture to work.

Try a 64GB thumbdrive. Or a SD card, since you probably use them in a camera anyway.

quintendehaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hmmm... Thanks for all your suggestions. Pretty strange there's nothing that suits my needs perfectly with all these cloud developments. I'll just revert back to the 'old' ways of storing stuff.

Thanks!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Do you need your cd-drive that much? Another alternative would be to install another HDD, and rely on an external drive for the times you need to read or burn a CD. :)

quintendehaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Do you need your cd-drive that much? Another alternative would be to install another HDD, and rely on an external drive for the times you need to read or burn a CD. :)

I'm getting the new MacBook Pro when it comes out so I was looking for a solution for the time being. So won't be a problem anymore in the future.

Too big of a hassle to remove ODD. ;)

Thanks anyway!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm getting the new MacBook Pro when it comes out so I was looking for a solution for the time being. So won't be a problem anymore in the future.

Too big of a hassle to remove ODD. ;)

Thanks anyway!

If you're buying a new computer soon, I'd encourage you to buy a USB external hard drive.

They're very useful for a variety of purposes. Physically small & light, extremely low priced per GB, I use one regularly.

Western Digital builds a nice selection. Google them, or go to http://www.newegg.com

loriayre

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Use Dropbox with "selective sync"

You can actually use the "selective sync" feature in Dropbox that allows you to deselect computers that will store copies of certain files or folders. I haven't used it but info about it is here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/175/en

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.