Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Hi!
Not sure if this goes under this section, but does not go anywhere else.
So the thing is that I want to test some certain things under iOS before buying one, so I would like to ran an emulator and check how everything works.
So my question is, is there such an emulator that would allow me to emulate iOS?

regdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
It doesn't seem to include those default apps (like Safari, contacts, calendar etc). Is there a way to get a complete interface not just the application interface?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
It doesn't seem to include those default apps (like Safari, contacts, calendar etc). Is there a way to get a complete interface not just the application interface?

Mine shows Safari, Contacts, but I don't see Calendar. Just swipe over to the left and all the regular icons show up.

regdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
It seems that iOS Simulator does not include calendar and other applications.
So probably I won't be able to test out contact and calendar sync with iCloud.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
It seems that iOS Simulator does not include calendar and other applications.
So probably I won't be able to test out contact and calendar sync with iCloud.

There is no support for iCloud in the simulator from what I have read.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There is no iOS emulator (outside of maybe Apple's secret labs).

An iOS Simulator comes with the Xcode SDK, but this Simulator only runs x86 code, not the ARM code that real iOS apps use. The Simulator also only comes with a few built-in apps, which are not completely functional (for instance, no GPS, no accelerometer, no iCloud, and etc.) It cannot download or run apps from the iOS App Store.

The only thing close to emulating an iPhone is an actual iPhone. Maybe borrow one. Or buy an old used one and resell it when done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.