Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulCostello

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Is it ok too leave iMovie, iPhoto, safari, and a few other apps open all the time? Even when iMac is sleeping? Or should I close apps after using them? I only ask because I've noticed that iMovie takes a long time to open from a fresh start, iPhoto also just not as long as imovie.

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
Is it ok too leave iMovie, iPhoto, safari, and a few other apps open all the time? Even when iMac is sleeping? Or should I close apps after using them? I only ask because I've noticed that iMovie takes a long time to open from a fresh start, iPhoto also just not as long as imovie.

If you let your Mac sleep instead of turning it off, as some people do, you will want to Quit and then reopen your apps once in a while, so the apps can do their housekeeping—dumping trashes, temp files, and etc.. You can do this easily by by setting a shutdown and startup time in the Energy Saver and making your apps Startup Items. If you do normally shut down after use, the others' advice should do you just fine.
Safari used to get sluggish for me after a while, and restarting it made it perkier, but I haven’t noticed the problem with recent versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.