Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Even with small hands, your thumb is but a few millimeters away from reaching the top. It's not that hard, folks.

And the pay offs are worth it. This isn't about Android vs. iOS. I think a larger iPhone would be glorious to use.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
The "using my phone one handed" argument is silly. Not all people have tiny hands folks. I can use my friends 4.3" screened droid phone one handed no problem. I'm sure they would still have the 3.5" screen option for you tiny handed people but it's time for a larger option too IMHO.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Well personally my thumb extends beyond the frame of the iPhone, if I hold it in my right hand, I can literally adjust the volume with my right thumb.

Holding the phone normally in ur right hand (back of phone laying across ur fingers and palm, with the bottom right corner nestled in the center of your palm...or some close variation). There is NO WAY u can adjust the volume with ur right thumb without rotating the phone almost onto its side.

..but I agree with u. A 4" screen would be perfect for my hands which are not very big.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
These claims of Androids that are too big for your pocket are made by those who have no clue about facts. The 4.3" display equipped SGS II is only 7mm wider than an iPhone 4.

If you don't know metric measurements their's 25.4mm to an inch. Thus the Android is just barely wider than an iPhone. It's also, 4mm thinner.

If you cant fit that in your pockets, they must be sewed shut :)

So much for all this drama created to make anything larger than 3.5" sound like a truck... Nice try.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I guess it all depends upon the size of your hands. I could probably use a Samsung Note one handed, albeit awkwardly, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it in my pocket. That's just too big.

I'd like to see Apple release two iPhones with two different screen sizes.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
Gotta keep up with the Jones' I take it?

So, what is this extra screen size gonna do that a 3.5" screen can't do?

Enhance the experience of using the Internet and playing games. I do not play games but adding a little to the size from the tiny screen will help with doing the Internet when I need to do so. I know you will say it is fine the way it is, but the majority of the users, including I, want a larger screen.

It is not really about keeping up with the Jones, it is more like leaving the 3.5" screen with the Flintstones and moving into the current state of technology.

I am not asking for a huge screen, but no one does a 3.5" screen anymore for a reason. Apple has little choice and will have to increase it, at least some. They know their "fans" will follow, where else will the go?:p

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
The Galaxy Note looks nice, however, the size is too large. I saw it for the first time at my cousin's Facebook (I've heard of it but never bothered to look at it) and I swear I thought it was a mini tablet.

----------

Also, since the iPhone 5 will be my first iPhone, there are lots of talk here where people want the screen to be bigger. I don't want that. I've used my friend's iPhone and I think it is the perfect size. If it's too large it will be a hassle to use.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
My wish right now is that my Galaxy II Skyrocket had iOS on it. That would be a perfect phone for me.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I used my wife's new Nokia Lumia 900 which has a 4.3" screen exclusively for a weekend doing all kinds of routine tasks that I would do on my iPhone, and now I am convinced that 3.5" screen is the ideal if you want to consistently use a phone one handed without straining to reach things on the screen. Anything beyond 3.5" (or at most 3.7") just doesn't work for one handed use at least for me and I have normal sized hands.

Confession: I am the guy who started this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1355401/ and thought Apple was arrogant to push another 3.5" sized iPhone on us. Frankly I was just enamored with the large screen Android phones that I played with a few times at the AT&T store which look great when you use it only for a few minutes. But for prolonged use the smaller iPhone is much more comfortable, I have to admit. Seems like Apple knows what it is doing after all.

Having said that if you are somebody that uses their phone two handed, definitely the bigger screenmay work for you. Still a lot of people say that they can fit their huge 4.5", 4,7", 5" phones easily in the pocket because they are so thin so they don't see an issue with the size. But IMHO I think the phone size is most important when you are trying to use it and not whether you can slip it easily in and out of pockets.

Something that is important to take into account is the layout of the UI. I used a 3GS for almost 2 years and could reach everything fine. I now use a Titan (4.7") and can still reach everything just fine. That's because all the buttons are at the bottom. There's literally nothing I can think of in terms of core usage that requires me to go past the halfway point on the screen, so it's just as comfortable operating with one hand.

With iOS you need to reach up because the back buttons are located at the top of the screen. That's why the 3.5" display works so well for the iPhone. If all the buttons were located at the bottom, I guarantee that designs up to 4.3" would be a lot easier to use for even small-handed people.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Enhance the experience of using the Internet and playing games. I do not play games but adding a little to the size from the tiny screen will help with doing the Internet when I need to do so. I know you will say it is fine the way it is, but the majority of the users, including I, want a larger screen.

Majority? So you've polled every iPhone user?

Tiny screen? Either you need to stop exaggerating or its time for a trip to the opticians my friend ;)

It is not really about keeping up with the Jones, it is more like leaving the 3.5" screen with the Flintstones and moving into the current state of technology.

Majority of these larger screens still look poor in comparison to the iPhone display.

I am not asking for a huge screen

Yes you are, 3.5 is already too big.

but no one does a 3.5" screen anymore for a reason. Apple has little choice and will have to increase it, at least some. They know their "fans" will follow, where else will the go?:p

Contradictory statement there fella. Little choice but to increase it but their "fans" will follow them regardless, so why would they need to change it then?

Again, this whole sheep mentality "ooh, look, htc and all the other dime a dozen handset makers have made tablets that are phones they are that big, lets copy them", come on, its the perfect form factor. Anything else is disproportionate.

I hope its a 3.5" screen just to annoy "the majority" of users :D

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
all you people with baby hands jeesh. I don't want a mini screen on the next iphone. Just no bigger than 4.7" and I am happy. No smaller than 4. I would almost say 4.3". I think android phones are garbage but I am springing for the htc one JUST because of the screen and LTE. These are the iphones shortcomings that I just can't look over any longer.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
Majority? So you've polled every iPhone user?

Tiny screen? Either you need to stop exaggerating or its time for a trip to the opticians my friend ;)

There are polls in this forum that indicate a want of a larger screen.

How about a trip to reality!:eek:

I understand that you do not want it larger, but Apple knows you will not leave if they DO make it a little larger and yet they will save a lot of users and attract new users by making the screen larger. It makes good business sense!:)

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
all you people with baby hands jeesh. I don't want a mini screen on the next iphone. Just no bigger than 4.7" and I am happy. No smaller than 4. I would almost say 4.3". I think android phones are garbage but I am springing for the htc one JUST because of the screen and LTE. These are the iphones shortcomings that I just can't look over any longer.

You got hands like an ork then or something lol

There are polls in this forum that indicate a want of a larger screen.

How about a trip to reality!:eek:

I understand that you do not want it larger, but Apple knows you will not leave if they DO make it a little larger and yet they will save a lot of users and attract new users by making the screen larger. It makes good business sense!:)

Oh, so every iPhone user in the entire world peruses these fine forums? Thanks for the info.

Good business sense? Hahahaha, were you the one on the financial earnings calls giving the forecasts for the next 2 Quarters to Tim Cook, lol
Look, all you gotta say is that you want a bigger brick to carry around with you so that you can troll some Fandroids because at the moment they keep throwing screensize at you all the time.
Business sense, what the hell do you know about business sense haha.

If you ain't happy with it, jump ship. I'm sure Apple will sorely miss you and then look at releasing a mini tablet phone that makes you look like your holding a roof slate to your face when making a call :D
Money talks, BS walks.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
You got hands like an ork then or something lol

Oh, so every iPhone user in the entire world peruses these fine forums? Thanks for the info.

Good business sense? Hahahaha, were you the one on the financial earnings calls giving the forecasts for the next 2 Quarters to Tim Cook, lol
Look, all you gotta say is that you want a bigger brick to carry around with you so that you can troll some Fandroids because at the moment they keep throwing screensize at you all the time.
Business sense, what the hell do you know about business sense haha.

If you ain't happy with it, jump ship. I'm sure Apple will sorely miss you and then look at releasing a mini tablet phone that makes you look like your holding a roof slate to your face when making a call :D
Money talks, BS walks.

You are not going anywhere, Apple is betting on it! I use both Android and Windowss phones with my iPhone 4S. I am happy now and YOU will HAVE to make do with a larger screen!:eek:

No sense is arguing with you, you know it is going to happen, you are just bitter over it. Keep swinging at those windmills!:p

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
You are not going anywhere, Apple is betting on it! I use both Android and Windowss phones with my iPhone 4S. I am happy now and YOU will HAVE to make do with a larger screen!:eek:

No sense is arguing with you, you know it is going to happen, you are just bitter over it. Keep swinging at those windmills!:p

So not only are you one of Apple's financial advisors, but a product advisor as well.

You're just a one man rock band ain't ya ;)

Can I have your autograph :D

PS: I will be sticking with the current sized screen, bank on that.

PPS: You have too many phones.

PPPS: Don't forget the autograph.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA

They don't just have "baby hands":rolleyes:

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Just found NewtonApple's next phone;

big-windows-phone_640_427_c1_%7Bcrop_area%7D_0_0.jpg

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Our next iPhone is going to be unique and def have a bigger screen. Here are a few leaked screen shots..

Pear_Phone.png

592115_10150117348155398_736899957_n.jpg

victorious-halloween-jade-tori-phone.jpg

:D

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Just found NewtonApple's next phone;
I'm marking this thread to see you eat crow when the 4" iPhone 5 comes out in October. If you'd ever laid hands on a decent 4" phone, you wouldn't be acting so childish over this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.