Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
So I went on a trip and decided to play some Portal 2 SP in the car. Steam warns me it's going to be in Offline mode. Okay, I understand. So it's days later and my pal wants to do some P2 Co-Op. I try to launch Steam but I keep getting this message.

mhvalk.png

I've tried connecting Hardwire to my modem and being on a different WiFi network but nothing is working? Do I have to just remove and reinstall steam at this point? :(

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Two things to try.

Is the "Account" menu bar available; if it is, just pull it down and click "Online" and then restart in online mode.

If that doesn't work, download the latest version directly from http://www.steampowered.com and re-install it. It will be the latest version and thus you shouldn't get the update message box.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Two things to try.

Is the "Account" menu bar available; if it is, just pull it down and click "Online" and then restart in online mode.

If that doesn't work, download the latest version directly from http://www.steampowered.com and re-install it. It will be the latest version and thus you shouldn't get the update message box.

I tried to open copy from the DMG downloaded from Steam and it failed saying Steam was in use by some server, and now I get this message:

m1u0z.png

WTF?

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Yes, required Intel Mac.

But the Steam client is an Intel program, it doesn't run on PowerPC macs.
353c9ed.png

Why is my Mac reporting this? What did I do to make Steam junk up!? This is ridiculous. :mad:

EDIT: I managed to fix my issue.

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Care to share?

For some reason trashing Steam was not enough. I had to dump the SteamApps folder from /Library/Application Support/, and then I had to take the now defunct Steam icon, right click and choose "Show Package Contents", navigate to the icpserver, and disable that (double-clicking) before it could properly be removed from my system, then I was able to just download Steam from the website and everything is working properly now.

swaags

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
i found it

So i was looking at the same conundrum and found a mac friendly solution. The link is below but i will relate it here:

"you go to:
/Users/$yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam/ and locate registry.vdf

The variable you need to set is Registry / HKCU / Software / Valve / Steam / Offline, which you set to "0"."

This was from Alex's Blog, whoever he is
http://www.oconnoat.com/blog/2010/12/31/steam-app-osx-stuck-in-offline-mode/

thanks to him steam works again. hope this helps others too.

Sofakongen

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
So i was looking at the same conundrum and found a mac friendly solution. The link is below but i will relate it here:

"you go to:
/Users/$yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam/ and locate registry.vdf

The variable you need to set is Registry / HKCU / Software / Valve / Steam / Offline, which you set to "0"."

This was from Alex's Blog, whoever he is
http://www.oconnoat.com/blog/2010/12/31/steam-app-osx-stuck-in-offline-mode/

thanks to him steam works again. hope this helps others too.

That steam folder doesn't appear after Application Support. What to do?

swaags

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
That steam folder doesn't appear after Application Support. What to do?

The only thing i can think of is that you might be in the general library. there are two different ones. make sure you go to /users and then the username under which steam was installed and THEN to library. if thats not the issue i've got nothing..

Sofakongen

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
The only thing i can think of is that you might be in the general library. there are two different ones. make sure you go to /users and then the username under which steam was installed and THEN to library. if thats not the issue i've got nothing..

Hey, i've been searching like a mutheffffffuuuccckkkk on the web for a reason. The Library folder is hidden, and i can't seem to figure out how to undo this. The only place where library folder is shown seems to be in the "main-folder."

sanspaper

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
For those with Lion...

I found this solution on another forum:

In Lion, the Library folder is hidden so you won't see your Steam folder. If you don't want to mess around with the registry or enter Terminal commands, you can simply go to the "GO" menu, select Go To Folder, and enter: ~/Library

You should now be able to see the Steam folder, and the registry.vdf file inside that. Simply rename the file, or delete the full stop so that Steam doesn't recognise the file (you can delete the file, but best to rename first as if this fails, you might want to be able to revert back).

Once the file has been renamed, you should be able to start up Steam and get back online. Note: if the above fails, try following all of the steps again but rather than starting up Steam, re-install it instead.

Worked for me - I'm now back online.

Happy gaming!

YES

iOSXthings

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Steam has always been crappy, both on Mac and pc. Truthfully if steam wasn't the only legal way to play valve games I would just stop using it. I've had TO MANY problems. here are a few.

•Offline mode not working when not connected to a network
•The Mac client crashing when started in offline mode on a Internet connection(Your problem)
•Some games not starting in offline mode even if they are single player games(Most recently Half Life 2).
•Steam crashing when I click out of it to another window(windows)
•Steam not maximizing after I minimized it

These are only of the few problems that PLAUGE the Steam client in truthfully just shows how lazy valve is. No wonder they can't count to three. I'm thinking of starting a website called STEAMBAY.com. It'll be like pirate bay but specifically designed to put valve out f business. Or at lest make them update their client so it not the glitchiest thing since Windows Vista.

ritts

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
When I open registry.vdf using text edit all it says is:

"Registry"
{
"HKCU"
{
"Software"
{
"Valve"
{
"Steam"
{
"Language" "english"
}
}
}
}
}

Can someone help?

SpaceFace129

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
Steam in offline mode

Hi, I'm a new user here.
I tried to get on Steam to play online with friends, but it shows me as offline, as in the picture provided. It's been like this for a week. Can anyone please help? Thanks!
Note:
My internet connections seems slow, but working, and I haven't found any problems.

Attachments

• Steam Problem.JPG
    Steam Problem.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 280
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.