Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamihacker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami
I have a MacBook and the trackpad started acting funny ( cursor moves erratically,scrolling won't work properly). When I clean and tap each corners the trackpad would work but every time I shut it down it would start acting crazy again. Any suggestion on how to fix this issue?*

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Have you checked the batteries? Also settings / keyboard and check your settings there....If that fails to correct the problem you may have a faulty TP.

I'd go with the batteries...The meter is notoriously inaccurate...Sometimes mine displays 100% just before the batteries die.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Have you checked the batteries? Also settings / keyboard and check your settings there....If that fails to correct the problem you may have a faulty TP.

I'd go with the batteries...The meter is notoriously inaccurate...Sometimes mine displays 100% just before the batteries die.

Batteries?!? This is on a MacBook. OP, I'd check the tension screw under the battery, that's either really loose and not recording input, or was too tight and pinching the sensor.

miamihacker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami
Batteries?!? This is on a MacBook. OP, I'd check the tension screw under the battery, that's either really loose and not recording input, or was too tight and pinching the sensor.

Im trying both of the suggestion just to make sure.

bambp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Solved

Just FYI -- I had the exact same problem. My MBP (2011 13'' i5) cursor would become erratic, right clicking, flicking between screens, and was often unresponsive to my actual input. It generally seemed that the trackpad was signaling inputs that weren't there, because when I would touch the trackpad with one finger it would respond as if I were using two, three or four.

I tried everything. I cleaned the trackpad, even removed it to ensure it wasn't sticking, all to no avail.

The only solution I found was to replace the trackpad. It's a super easy procedure and it's pretty cheap. I spent $40 (w/ shipping) for a trackpad and $2 for a tri-wing screwdriver.

So far, no erratic behavior. I think this is a problem with the MBP trackpads, since so many people have the same issue. Hopefully Apple recognizes the issue soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.