Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steadymceddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
I don't know if this was addressed on here yet or not, so i apologize if it is, but here goes:

I have a VZW iphone 4s, and a Droid RAZR. I know the 4s has a sim card pre-installed for global use, but im wondering if there is any way to make it so the sim card from the droid can be used in the iphone so i could switch back and fourth from the 4s to the razr. Now i know my iphone is CDMA and that LTE is basically GSM but im wondering if i get it carrier unlocked the phone would recodnize the sim with my number and work? Probably a long shot but i figured this was the place to ask

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I tried using my dad's Verizon iPad's SIM in my AT&T 4S (carrier unlocked) - I thought maybe it'd work since the 4S does have CDMA hardware. But it never picked up a signal

steadymceddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
The 4S is not an LTE phone is will not work.

Yeah, I knew it isnt LTE, but I was hoping since the 4s has GSM built in and LTE is basred off GSM something might be tweakable to work. thanks for the info though!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I realize this thread is about VZW...

I just thought I would mention that ATT's LTE sims will work perfectly fine in the 4S (personal experience), and presumably the 4, and even older iPhones with the appropriate size adapter.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Makes me wonder if a Verizon lte sim would work in one of the CDMA phones that take RUIMs (assuming they don't have subsidy locks). More curiosity than anything else

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Just because the technology is based on GSM does not mean poping in a sim card will make it work. You need an LTE radio on Verizon's 4G Bands (700Mhz C-Block) in order for it to work. You can take a 4G sim and place it into another Verizon 4G product and it's all good and dandy, but the iPhone will not work. The CDMA work's because the activation of the phone is still the same. The CDMA is still Voice only and the 4G LTE network is only data. I can get into a whole thing about eHRPD and why a 4G sim in another 4G phone activates it but this is a general sharing of knowledge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.