Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ewingeric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
In the near future I plan on adding a SSD to my machine by replacing the Optical Drive with it.

I heard that it wasn't smart to Raid 0 an SSD with an HDD, so my question is, how do I set it up to where my machine runs off of the SSD, but I can use the HDD as the storage device? Will I have to install lion onto the SSD and boot up from that every time?

Can someone explain the process of that for me?

Thank You!

chaleyer

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Sydney, Oz
I had this done to my mid-2009 MBP last June by an Apple Dealer. Optical drive went into an external enclosure; existing 500Gb HDD into an Optibay, and a Crucial 240Gb SSD into the primary drive slot. SL installed onto the SSD, along with Office and VMWare Fusion. Then upgraded to Lion about 6 weeks after its release.
A couple my frequently used VM images are also on the SSD, with other VM's, music and photo's on the HDD.
Very sweet and a much faster little machine.

Ewingeric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
I had this done to my mid-2009 MBP last June by an Apple Dealer. Optical drive went into an external enclosure; existing 500Gb HDD into an Optibay, and a Crucial 240Gb SSD into the primary drive slot. SL installed onto the SSD, along with Office and VMWare Fusion. Then upgraded to Lion about 6 weeks after its release.
A couple my frequently used VM images are also on the SSD, with other VM's, music and photo's on the HDD.
Very sweet and a much faster little machine.

So correct me if I'm wrong.. but what i'll need to do is..

Move my HDD to where the Optical Drive is, then put my SSD in the primary slot.
Then load Lion onto the SSD, and then, assuming i'll want to launch my applications using the SSD's speed, i'll need to install the applications onto the SSD?

chaleyer

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Sydney, Oz
Ys, although my changeover was easier because I still had the Snow Leopard discs to do the reinstall.
I did my wife's 13MBP with the same Crucial M4 SSD this week. Very, very nice update for a 3yr old machine.
Your issue might be getting hold of Lion to do a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.