Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
The Sandy Bridge Xeon should be even faster as it will be a 8 core CPU. ( so i guess you can customize it to a 16-core Sandy Bridge Mac Pro )

The processors used in the 2010 Mac Pro have all been replaced by Sandy Bridge E5-1600 and E5-2600 Xeons. These are what Apple will use in the next Mac Pro, probably giving 4, 6, 12 and 16 core options. The Ivy Bridge processors coming out soon - June is the latest date by the way for the E3 Xeons - only offer better performance than one processor option Apple should use and the platform is still weaker overall.

Ivy Bridge Xeons suitable for the Mac Pro won't be available before this time next year.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I guess we are not the only ones waiting for new computers:. Intel seems to be having lots of supply problems lately. From hardmac today:

While the new Ivy Bridge chips have officially been launched and many PC manufacturers have announced new models, it seems that the available stock of the new chips is rather limited. In fact, the new chip is not featured in a single computer currently on the market and several manufacturers such as ACER decided to differ the launch of their models that will ship first in Japan starting tomorrow, then in the rest of the world later this year.

The situation could be quite irritating for customers waiting for the new models, but it could be very tricky for all the manufacturers that still have to sell products fraturing older chips and that haven't launched their new models. The beginning of May could very well be an empty period for the computer market. If that period remains short, there will be no major consequence, but things could get serious if it was lasting until summer.

In the mean time, we will keep a close eye on the Apple Store as we wait for the new Mac models. It is the longest period of time without new models since Apple switched from PPC to Intel.

Ragegard

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
Same here for swedish stores, not in stock, ships in 5-7 days for all models beside the server. Fingers crossed!

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I think it's looking pretty good for new Mac Pros. I am SO ready to ditch this jet engine sitting on top of my desk.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The processors used in the 2010 Mac Pro have all been replaced by Sandy Bridge E5-1600 and E5-2600 Xeons. These are what Apple will use in the next Mac Pro, probably giving 4, 6, 12 and 16 core options. The Ivy Bridge processors coming out soon - June is the latest date by the way for the E3 Xeons - only offer better performance than one processor option Apple should use and the platform is still weaker overall.

Ivy Bridge Xeons suitable for the Mac Pro won't be available before this time next year.

They're saying Q2 of next year currently. I kind of wonder where that puts Haswell for the mac pro. Will they keep that socket type a year behind the consumer models? It seems like a bigger issue on tock years, but I can't imagine they'd wish to leave it this way.

I think it's looking pretty good for new Mac Pros. I am SO ready to ditch this jet engine sitting on top of my desk.

By jet engine, you mean a macbook pro?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
What do you think are the chances of a release tomorrow?

I'd say pretty decent, actually. Maybe Thursday too. I'd be inclined to give it a 40% chance on the scale of "totally pulling these numbers out of nowhere."

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If there isn't an announcement this week, I think we're either looking at June around all the other Macs release or if not, then it might be stick a fork in it time. Since it appears that the Ivy line is a bit late to get moving as well, at least a Mac Pro now would help keep something Mac in the news I would think.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
If there isn't an announcement this week, I think we're either looking at June around all the other Macs release or if not, then it might be stick a fork in it time. Since it appears that the Ivy line is a bit late to get moving as well, at least a Mac Pro now would help keep something Mac in the news I would think.

Even if it's stick a fork in it time, there will be an announcement.

Any way any thing goes in any direction there will be an announcement.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Even if it's stick a fork in it time, there will be an announcement.

Any way any thing goes in any direction there will be an announcement.

It seems like ages since the last time Apple made any sort of announcement other than WWDC. Certainly a long time since any Mac related announcement.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
If they don't change the box of the MP, then there is a chance for tomorrow. But if it changes, I can't remember a time when they changed the tower significantly without having a deal on stage.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If they don't change the box of the MP, then there is a chance for tomorrow. But if it changes, I can't remember a time when they changed the tower significantly without having a deal on stage.

If they really were "questioning" the continuation of the line, I can't see them spending anything on r&d'ing a new box unless they have drastically re-thought this product.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
It seems like ages since the last time Apple made any sort of announcement other than WWDC. Certainly a long time since any Mac related announcement.

Well, I didn't necessarily mean Tim-Cook-Gets-Up-On-A-Stage announcement. I meant something getting posted to their website.

Edit: Ohhhh. You mean when they announced WWDC. Yeah, dunno. A Mac Pro death announcement may not be much more than a support notice, and a new Mac Pro might not be more than a press release. Still not expecting something fantastic.

I don't know if I'd bet on a significant change. Regardless, the Intel iMac has seen significant case changes with no stage announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with the new Macbook Pros. Apple has already said they're moving away from announcements like that.

Last edited:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Base model sold out at all except 1. due may 4th.

Attachments

• macpro.png
    macpro.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 89

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
You will find that the available date changes with each day that passes.

It said available April 24th a week ago. Check in a couple of days and the May 4th date will probably be May 7th etc..

yeah it seems like the date is based on how long it will take them to ship the computer you buy to the store near you. which means none of the apple stores are really stocking them on their own.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Unfortunately I don't think these inventory anomalies mean anything. I'm surprised anyone would actually "stock" Mac Pros at this late date before an overdue refresh.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Unfortunately I don't think these inventory anomalies mean anything. I'm surprised anyone would actually "stock" Mac Pros at this late date before an overdue refresh.

Best Buy running out of stock is extremely suspicious, as they'd be outside of Apple's "we don't stock the Mac Pros at retail any more" decision process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.