Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whoa, I was going to order one to try it out and the price is now $25. No thanks!

I just seen that price as well on Amazon :eek:

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whoa, I was going to order one to try it out and the price is now $25. No thanks!

Just checked Amazon. ALL 3 colors are selling for $12.99 each.

Where did you get $25 from?

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Just checked Amazon. ALL 3 colors are selling for $12.99 each.

Where did you get $25 from?

Hmm its back to $12.99. It definitely was $25 for all three colors when I looked this morning. Sold by NXT Trading or something like that. Well I placed an order for the smoke and I'll post a review when I receive it.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Did the clear case turn yellow? anyone?? or other defect?? want to know before I make the purchase.... pls

Most people, including myself, have not had the clear case long enough for it to yellow yet. However most (if not all) clear tpu cases will 'yellow' with exposure to sunlight over time. If you're that worried about discoloration, then I suggest you look into getting the SMOKE color or just avoiding CLEAR tpu cases in general.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Just received it

I was pleasantly surprised. The packaging is lot nicer than I expected. Not at all like the other sub $20 cases I've purchased. Even comes with a micro fiber cloth and 2 screen protectors.

The case itself is exactly what I was looking for. TPU, grippy, thin (thinner than other TPU cases like the iSkin or Belkin). The button feedback is excellent, feels as natural as without a case. Fit is very good, tight all around except for some slight bowing on the top. The other thing I really like is that the edges on the bottom are slightly rounded which makes it more comfortable to hold. Its slightly tapered with a "terrace" instead of a sharp corner. The flaps seem like a good idea since my 2 week 4S already has a lot of dust in the charging port. Overall I like it. Recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 96

Wsnook

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Bayou city
I was pleasantly surprised. The packaging is lot nicer than I expected. Not at all like the other sub $20 cases I've purchased. Even comes with a micro fiber cloth and 2 screen protectors.

The case itself is exactly what I was looking for. TPU, grippy, thin (thinner than other TPU cases like the iSkin or Belkin). The button feedback is excellent, feels as natural as without a case. Fit is very good, tight all around except for some slight bowing on the top. The other thing I really like is that the edges on the bottom are slightly rounded which makes it more comfortable to hold. Its slightly tapered with a "terrace" instead of a sharp corner. The flaps seem like a good idea since my 2 week 4S already has a lot of dust in the charging port. Overall I like it. Recommended.

Got it and used for a few days.. agree with you on the overall quality is on par with most brand name cases. So far I like it because it really cover all the ports..my new 4S and still like brand new after almost a week.. the only thing bothers me is weather it will turn yellow or not??

Overall I would recommend this case... hope it wont turn yellow...

ttuguy09

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
Got it and used for a few days.. agree with you on the overall quality is on par with most brand name cases. So far I like it because it really cover all the ports..my new 4S and still like brand new after almost a week.. the only thing bothers me is weather it will turn yellow or not??

Overall I would recommend this case... hope it wont turn yellow...

I bought the smokey color and clear one for my iPhone 4s. I was just going to return the one I didn't, like, but I only got to the smokey and fell in love with it so I'm keeping it.

I HIGHLY recommend this case if you want something thin that keeps the size and contours of the phone. I am not comfortable if I drop it because it is so thin, but the packaging says it will protect against drops. Otherwise, the case is great and you can see the classiness of the white iPhone and also the shape of the iPhone, two important features to me.

RonJones

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011

What do you think about the shock protection? I am using an incipio feather, it's a hard case and it does not absorb shock very well. Also the case does not protect the top and bottom of the phone. Looks like this case protects almost he entire phone and it's very slim.

I am looking for a thin case with better shock protection. Looks like this is a good idea.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
What do you think about the shock protection? I am using an incipio feather, it's a hard case and it does not absorb shock very well. Also the case does not protect the top and bottom of the phone. Looks like this case protects almost he entire phone and it's very slim.

I am looking for a thin case with better shock protection. Looks like this is a good idea.

I haven't (thankfully) had a chance to test out the shock absorption properties of the case yet. I did have a somewhat similar iSkin solo TPU case on my 3GS and it survived a 3ft drop onto a hard floor. Theoretically this case should provide at least marginally better protection than a feather. The TPU is softer and the material is thicker than the hard plastic of the feather. The rubberiness of the material should at least dissipate some of the shock, though its no Otterbox. It also has the advantage of having a slight lip so you can lay it face down without worrying about scratches. I guess basically I'll say this case is best for protecting against scratches and minor bumps/drops.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I bought the Smoke Zum Gelee thanks to the excellent review by jayinla and pics by HickDead and others in the thread. Here are my impressions:

I have been using this case for a week and am very happy with it. It fits like a glove, my iPhone has front and back SGP UF protectors and Spektrawraps on the sides. It feels protective although I would not recommend it for drop protection. But compared to hard cases, TPU is much better as it is rubbery, also TPU offers better scratch resistance.

The case is minimal in design and barely adds bulk to the iPhone. Unlike most clear TPU cases the back is completely clean with no ugly logos. Although sleek looking and firm it is quite grippy and feels like hard rubber to the touch. The buttons are responsive and you can still feel them click. The port covers work nicely and I hope they don't stretch out like the Otterbox ones. Camera works fine with no flash issues.

This case has replaced my beloved Switcheasy Vulcan as my favorite TPU case. Well until some company comes out with a better one.

Pros:

*Almost as slim as a plastic slip on case, but more protective.
*Looks great and shows of the design of the iPhone.
*Full protection all around the phone, including lay on table lip.
*Integrated port covers

Cons:
*The case has the same exact shape of the iPhone, I would have preferred rounded edges like in the Vulcan.
*Posibility of the port covers stretching out from use.
*Bottom area around the dock a bit loose. To be fair this happens to all rubber/TPU cases.

If you have any question ask away :)

Wsnook

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Bayou city
Most people, including myself, have not had the clear case long enough for it to yellow yet. However most (if not all) clear tpu cases will 'yellow' with exposure to sunlight over time. If you're that worried about discoloration, then I suggest you look into getting the SMOKE color or just avoiding CLEAR tpu cases in general.

I have used my Gelee for more than 2 wks. It is just like new. I emailed ZUM about the yellowish potential, here is their response "anti UV material has been add during manufacturing process."

Does anyone know if that is true? I like my case a lot and will get a pink one for my girlfriend.

Black Dawg Down

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
I have used my Gelee for more than 2 wks. It is just like new. I emailed ZUM about the yellowish potential, here is their response "anti UV material has been add during manufacturing process."

Does anyone know if that is true? I like my case a lot and will get a pink one for my girlfriend.

Interesting...

As far as I know no manufacturer has been able to inject anti UV material into TPU cases.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
After seeing all the love that reviewers are getting here, I want in!

I waded through all five pages, and appreciated the reviews that I took to be believable -- which I think was nearly all of them, at least. So, thanks!

I would not have ordered at $25, but for $12.99 I was in for the clear one. I'll toss it if it yellows AND the yellowing bugs me. I haven't even had it for 24 hours yet, but here's what I can say:

Looks: It's definitely as clear as one could imagine on the sides, but the back is slightly frosted; enough that no one will mistake that you have a case on. On a positive note, I think this will make it difficult to see any minor scuffing on the back if/when that occurs.

Fit: Pretty much as good as you could expect. Easy on/off. The only VERY minor complaint is that on the left side, the case is not perfectly snug so that when I squeeze it I can sometimes feel the case catch on the edge of my screen protector. Again, VERY minor, and may correct itself over time, but there it is. Otherwise, button cutouts and covers are all well aligned, and allow proper operation. In particular, the power button operates precisely as if there were no cover. Couldn't say that for the (cheap) bumper it replaces, where I couldn't feel the button "snap". It does extend up and over the sides, with a measured 0.6mm lip above the screen.

Feel: It offers just the right amount of grip (unlike the bare phone, which is partly why I want a case), but still slides easily in and out of pockets. It doesn't grab/hold dust dirt, either, which I was a little worried about.

Function: The port covers may seem like an awesome idea to some. Good for them. For me, an X-Acto knife is an awesome idea, and off come the port covers. With a little care, this can be done without the result looking like a butcher job. The camera/flash cutout seems to give the flash a wide berth, so I don't expect any trouble, but haven't tested it. For drop protection there are better cases out there. For me, drop protection is provided by Applecare. I do expect this to help me avoid cosmetic damage for which I would not put in a claim, though.

So, for the price, my initial reaction is that I'm pleased with the purchase.

Regards,
Tom

Last edited:

Qfic

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
I've spent the last few months scouring the web looking for a case to replace my speck candyshell I bought as a temporary protective solution till I found my perfect case. The candyshell was very protective but was just too bulky, I would find myself taking it out of the case all the time just to hold the beautiful form of the phone itself. Kinda sad really.

Anyway, ideally I wanted something that didn't add bulk and that would show off the form of the phone, while reasonably protecting it. The desmay slight and all those were just too fragile and no lay on the table design so they were out. Clear hard cases showed off the phone, but were to bulky in my hand, so no go. And some of these fancy metal bumpers were just too expensive to justify me purchasing as a case.

So then I came across this thread, and the Zum Gelee seemed to check all the right boxes for me, but as someone mentioned I was a little concerned if the previous posters had a bias or what not. I had to recently buy a case for my new ipad off amazon so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the zum gelee for my phone thinking it wasn't much to lose.

All in all now that I've got it on my phone I frickin' love it! It is the perfect case I had been looking for. I ended up buying the smoke for my black phone and it looks great! Very transparent still but kinda gives it this gunmetal effect. The case fits snug and the port flaps seem very stabile. I use bluetooth headphones so to have the headphone jack covered all the time is actually awesome. The sides at first felt a little loose but after a week it seems to have really conformed around the phone nicely. Don't know how protective it'd be in a drop, but it is definitely way more protective than similarly slim cases. In my pocket the material is not to slick to just slip out and not so grippy I can't pull it out easily. Best part for me is the lay on the table design! I like to have my phone out at work and at meetings but face down to not light up everytime I get a notification. the front lip keeps it just off a flat surface enough where I feel comfortable. Oh and it works just fine with my screen protector, no bubbling.

Was very unsure of the zum gelee initially, but it ended up being my perfect case! Would absolutely recommend!

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
How does the Zum gelee compare in size to a powersupport air jacket? I currently have the air jacket on my 4s, but after a few months of use it has cracked in 2 of the corners and it's time for me to move on to something else! It seems for the price the Zum gelee might be the way to go, my only concern is I am looking for a case similar in size to the air jacket or desmay slight.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
@Shanewilliams:

They are about the same. The Gelee has a 1mm lip in front.

Here are some measurements:

Thickness of the material = 1.06 mm
Depth of the case including lip = 11.24mm (naked iphone is 9.3mm)

You won't go wrong with the Gelee, it is one of my favorite cases.

The Desmay is much thinner than both the Airjacket and Gelee at .35mm.

Last edited:

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
@Shanewilliams:

They are about the same. The Gelee has a 1mm lip in front.

Here are some measurements:

Thickness of the material = 1.06 mm
Depth of the case including lip = 11.24mm (naked iphone is 9.3mm)

You won't go wrong with the Gelee, it is one of my favorite cases.

The Desmay is much thinner than both the Airjacket and Gelee at .35mm.

Thanks for the info. Just placed my order with amazon.

MsBeauty

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
After using the gelee for a few weeks, i think i really like it

The case is really thin and really practical for daily use. It covers all the ports while they are not in use. The best thing I like it is the thickness... I dont think I can find a TPU case that can match this thickness.. I have an incipio feather.. I think the thickness is about the same... but GELEE is my #1 case now!

Of course it cannot provide a protection like the otterbox... but I have dropped my phone from the table on a tile floor twice... no damage at all.. maybe I am just lucky :D

Attachments

• gelee1.jpg
    gelee1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • gelee.jpg
    gelee.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.