Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Alright, tried googling it, but couldn't find one that exists, so here goes.

Is there an app that lets you stream all sounds coming from iPad to a computer (Mac OS X)?

The iPad and the computer would be on the same network, naturally.

Does this exist, folks?!

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
All sounds coming from the iPad. It would be like to plug-in an audio jackstick into the iPad and the receiving end is just the desktop OS in the form of a super simple desktop app counterpart.

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Isn't that what Airplay does?

I've just researched it a little bit, and I don't believe so.

Let me try and explain further: you're home and your iPad is on your home network as is your desktop computer. Your desktop computer has a good soundsystem (for example mine: Mac Pro hooked optically to a Harmon Kardon receiver). Since I have speakers around the house, and since acquiring an iPad I basically only use the Pro for

1) stuff I can't do on the iPad
2) longer writing tasks

.... it would be so nice if there was an app that once in use, ALL sounds that would normally come from the iPad plays on your desktop, which in turn plays it on the soundsystem.

ALL audio: system audio like receiving an email on iPad yields the "swoosh" sound, when playing a youtube video on iPad, movie on iPad, everything.

Alright, I hope I explained it properly.

Does this exist?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
my ipad (and more often my iphone) plays all sounds, even the mail swoosh, when its paired to my car audio via bluetooth. i imagine it'd work for any bluetooth headset, speaker, or receiver.

:edit: also, airplay does this, too. easier solution.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Airplay isn't going to do what the OP wants.

Pairing via Bluetooth is the only way you'll be able to do what you want. If your receiver has BT, that would be the way to go. It works great in my car.

There won't be an app for it since you're asking for ALL system sounds to come through. An app can't tie into the system/OS that way unless you jailbreak.

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
my ipad (and more often my iphone) plays all sounds, even the mail swoosh, when its paired to my car audio via bluetooth. i imagine it'd work for any bluetooth headset, speaker, or receiver.

:edit: also, airplay does this, too. easier solution.

Okay, I'm going to play with AirPlay then and try to get it to work. From its description on Apple's website, it doesn't seem to have this functionality, but of course I could be mistaking.

----------

Airplay isn't going to do what the OP wants.

Pairing via Bluetooth is the only way you'll be able to do what you want. If your receiver has BT, that would be the way to go. It works great in my car.

There won't be an app for it since you're asking for ALL system sounds to come through. An app can't tie into the system/OS that way unless you jailbreak.

:(

Receiver doesn't have bluetooth, but my desktop does. But obviously, someone would need to program an interface that communicates (receives) audio from iPad and plays on desktop. I would much rather prefer this process via wi-fi, though, as bluetooth is so battery demanding.

This makes me sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.