Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Before in the past I have never had anyone ever even come close to stealing from me.

In the post iPhone era I have been a victim of 4 thefts.

My MBP is the reason some hooligans burglarized my home.

They ENTERED MY HOME for this thing.

I mean is it even safe to have these products anymore?

I thought resale value was a good thing but now I realize it's like a downside of ownership. I've heard stories of people not walking the streets with the white headphones and get black ones so they don't get targeted for muggings.

These things are like a currency. What am I supposed to get a safe?

They barely even stole anything else because the 2.5k was more than worth it.

Scary stuff man...

Suno

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
The problem isn't the Macbook, or even Apple's, it's your location.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Oh, cripes, I own an iMac, an MBA MBP iPhone 4s, a TC 2 ATV 3's and various accessories too, in the same room are 4 very valuable guitars, studio and stage recording equipment etc.

I also have a top end security system, locks on all windows, and have never been concerned about theft. In the unlikely event of this happening I also have something called insurance to cover that eventuality....If we all thought negatively we wouldn't buy anything.:)

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Are you leaving your MBP out in the open where it is clearly visible when looking in through a window?

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
How did they know it was there?

Used to record music with a guy couple years ago.

When I knew him he was a normal person.

Later went bad. Stalked my home. Knew a lot about me.

Shady stuff man....

I live in a nice neighborhood too. Nothing ghetto for miles.

They would have never cared to do it had it been a HP or something.

----------

Oh, cripes, I own an iMac, an MBA MBP iPhone 4s, a TC 2 ATV 3's and various accessories too, in the same room are 4 very valuable guitars, studio and stage recording equipment etc.

I also have a top end security system, locks on all windows, and have never been concerned about theft. In the unlikely event of this happening I also have something called insurance to cover that eventuality....If we all thought negatively we wouldn't buy anything.:)

I want ADT with monitoring so bad now... What's your monthly?

Yes had home insurance.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I'm guessing the video linked in your signature is yours?

If so, that video has been viewed by thousands of people. They know what the interior of your home looks like, what your car looks like, have a general idea of your location and what you look like. I'm sure it seemed like a cool idea at the time, but I'd be shocked if that wasn't how you were targeted. You should never, under any circumstances broadcast that kind of information on the web.

Beyond that, yes, expensive things are targets for thieves. If you are seen often with the item, then people would know you have it. Or maybe it was just a random break in and when they saw it they figured they'd scored and didn't worry about anything else.

Someone else mentioned that where you live may be the problem. I don't know where you live so I can't say that's the issue, and quite frankly, home invasions are less likely in "Bad neighborhoods" anyway. In those neighborhoods people don't tend to have as much expensive stuff to steal, so breaking into those homes doesn't make a ton of sense.

Let it be a lesson to you. Make sure you can lock up tight, don't make it known to the world that you have expensive stuff and while others may disagree (I think your experience proves the validity) be prepared to protect yourself and your property. A dog is a great burglar alarm, and a shotgun is a great way to make sure they never come back.

You were fortunate to not have been injured. Be thankful for that. But if these types learn that you have valuables and no means to protect them, you can bet they'll be back again, and they may not play nicely. Be aware of your local laws and get some education on different ways to secure your home before making any life changing decisions, but you have rights, don't be afraid to use them.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
So is anything nice. Jewely, a nice TV, audio equipment, etc. will be targets if unscrupulous people know you have them in your house.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Sounds like the guy you recorded with is the culprit. I don't think it has anything to do with your MBP. Leave mine out all the time.

I don't think the crime would have been worth it to them and it would never had happened if I had a regular laptop. They were overly too hungry for it.

Same with my iPhones that got stolen. Too much attention/resale potential.

Yeah the guy who did it I know and he even messed up by texting me incriminating stuff.

Last edited:

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

I have all that and 115lbs of German Shepherd with an attitude :)

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
it would never had happened if I had a regular laptop.

Sounds like you already formulated a subconcious solution to your problem. Although we here at Macrumors don't agree with that solution.

I like apolloa's suggestion.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Haha are you seriously blaming Apple's quality products for being robbed?

Keep your doors locked and your **** out of sight

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
I don't think the crime would have been worth it to them and it would never had happened if I had a regular laptop. They were overly too hungry for it.

That's pretty contradictory... If it wasn't worth it to them, why wouldn't it have happened with a regular laptop? You just stated that they were overly hungry for it. Seems like you've come to a conclusion.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Used to record music with a guy couple years ago.

When I knew him he was a normal person.

Later went bad. Stalked my home. Knew a lot about me.

Shady stuff man....

I live in a nice neighborhood too. Nothing ghetto for miles.

They would have never cared to do it had it been a HP or something.

----------

I want ADT with monitoring so bad now... What's your monthly?

Yes had home insurance.

ADT in the UK costs big time...I have my musical instruments insured via a personal liability policy at £300.00 per year which covers me for up to one million. ADT now charge me £170 a month....it's a lot, but it's a lot cheaper than other areas....I live in a very peaceful close, out in the country by the river, but you just don't know when some evil B******* is going to take a chance.

Most people here know each other, and we look out for each other too...it helps. Trouble is, when people know what you have, there is always somebody prepared to take a chance....Just one of my vintage guitars stolen would be irreplaceable....sure, I'd get the insurance money, but you can't replace vintage stratocasters, but I try not to think about it,and I'm fussy about who gets in here...sensible precautions help a lot.

Last edited:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I represented bazillions of iPhone/iPod robbers, all juveniles.

They are hot items, as are laptops. They get ripped off very frequently. At least finally here in the US carriers are getting around to creating a black list of stolen phones. Apple, ATT, Verizon gained subscribers so they had absolutely no interest in preventing thieves from reusing them. Kids thought it was hilarious.

And consider all the stuff that's on these devices. PERSONAL stuff. Believe me, if you met some of my clients the fact they had it would scare you more than the fact they stole your device.

Sleep well.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I have heard of cases where thieves demanded the phone, and then gave it back when they noticed that it was a blackberry. iPhone theft is a problem in many downtown areas, and iPads and macbooks are similarly attractive for thieves.

On the other hand, I also had my car window broken for a $50 Garmin GPS (I left the suction part on the window... stupid me). Thieves will take anything ;)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
I represented bazillions of iPhone/iPod robbers, all juveniles.

They are hot items, as are laptops. They get ripped off very frequently. At least finally here in the US carriers are getting around to creating a black list of stolen phones. Apple, ATT, Verizon gained subscribers so they had absolutely no interest in preventing thieves from reusing them. Kids thought it was hilarious.

And consider all the stuff that's on these devices. PERSONAL stuff. Believe me, if you met some of my clients the fact they had it would scare you more than the fact they stole your device.

Sleep well.

I believe you...I've met such individuals...And as you say...Apple products are kudos for thieves....I guess i'm pretty lucky to live in a nice area, but that's no reason to let my guard down. As I said, I'm fussy about who comes in here...Cleaning people are from a reputable registered company and they are pretty much the only strangers who come here. Clients are met in a studio environment before they stand a chance of crossing the threshold...And so far so good. Common sense really is the key...Even your UPS guy could be a thief...who knows? I will, however sleep well.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Interesting topic, I have to say it made a turn for the better in terms of relativity. I would simply recommend a better security system or security measures - :cool:

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
For future reference Undercover beats the pants off Find My Mac. I have it installed on all my Macs. And check out Witness, which turns a Mac iSight camera into a motion-sensor camera. If Witness had been installed on the MBP and you own an iPhone you would have received an alert and images of the thief while he was in the process of stealing your MBP.

I tested Witness a couple of days ago. It took a few seconds from the time I entered my office until an alert showed up on my iPhone with images of the room.

http://www.orbicule.com

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I have all my Mac products listed on my homeowners as riders. It covers my iMac MBP MBA iPad iPhone and the peripherals I bought I highly recommend you look into something like this. I at least have the piece of mind knowing if I am robbed that my homeowners will cover my extensive Mac products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.