Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oggorbismedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
I have seen this question asked many times, and though the answer seems to always be no, I swore I heard of someone watching movies and stuff from there external hard drive on a jailbroken iPad.

So I will ask it again just to clearify before I jailbreak my iPad.

Can I vew .RAW files from the SD card itself without copying them?

I just want to be able to stick my ipad in my camera bag and once I'm done with a shoot, go through all of the images with my team/client to make sure I've got what I need. I now I can use a laptop, or just an external monitor for my camera, but You really can't beat standing there flipping through photos like you're looking at a book.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I have seen this question asked many times, and though the answer seems to always be no, I swore I heard of someone watching movies and stuff from there external hard drive on a jailbroken iPad.

So I will ask it again just to clearify before I jailbreak my iPad.

Can I vew .RAW files from the SD card itself without copying them?

I just want to be able to stick my ipad in my camera bag and once I'm done with a shoot, go through all of the images with my team/client to make sure I've got what I need. I now I can use a laptop, or just an external monitor for my camera, but You really can't beat standing there flipping through photos like you're looking at a book.

Nope. You'll need to wait for jailbreak.

HOWEVER! If you get an external device with an FTP or HTTP client and some kind of a wireless connection (built-in WI-Fi AP or P2P connector, to which the iPad can connect), then, you could upload RAW images to most third-party, RAW-capable apps like Photo Manager Pro. (The latter also has an FTP server in addition to a HTTP one.) This does NOT require jailbreaking.

I don't know if there are devices with client capabilities (which would require some kind of an input and output support on them - e.g., touchscreen. Typical WLAN-mounted, current UPnP / FTP / SMB etc. servers don't have them). There are tons of external stuff (HDD exclosures or USB adapters that can be connected to a Wi-Fi access point via a networking cable etc.) that can work as an FTP / SMB / UPnP server. However, none of the decent 3rd party photo apps allow for accessing these servers AFAIK.

oggorbismedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Nope. You'll need to wait for jailbreak.

That's unfortunate. So are you saying once a jailbreak is available for the current iOS (I have an iPad 2 btw) I should be able to access the files on my SD card without copying them? Was that a feature available before or are you saying once a jailbreak comes out that has this feature, I can do it?

I've tried to do some research on this but most threads just drop off without an exact answer, so it's hard to tell if there was an answer or not.

Thanks for the other suggestions but in all honesty if it takes more than me plugging in my SD card and navigating to a folder, I'll just stick with my laptop :D

I wonder why this feature was restricted, is it because of security risks? Does apple not want me to expand my iPad but purchase the other, more expensive model to have more storage? Even if I had the 64 GB iPad I don't want to COPY my photos, I just want to look through them THEN copy the ones I want.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Does apple not want me to expand my iPad but purchase the other, more expensive model to have more storage?

Guess yes. Apple have done a lot of things to force people to upgrade to a new or more-storage model, including deliberately making some features of the OS worse without ANY technical reason. For example, the ones I've spotted:

- maximal voice note recording duration of the iPhone 3G from almost unlimited to 33 minutes in iPhone OS 3.0 or 3.1

- removal of antialiasing in 2x iPhone mode when switching to iOS 5.0 for iPad 1/2 so that iPhone app emulation would look like much worse and they'd force customers to get the iPad 3 to run properly-looking iPhone apps

etc.

Based on the above experience (again, these restrictions / "dumb-downing" absolutely weren't necessary!) I have a feeling they also deliberately make old hardware more and more sluggish with new iOS versions. Hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
would look like much worse and they'd force customers to get the iPad 3 to run properly-looking iPhone apps

Really, they force you to upgrade? Like gun to your head force? They don't force anything, you choose to upgrade yourself. No one esle does that for you, just sayin':rolleyes:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Really, they force you to upgrade? Like gun to your head force? They don't force anything, you choose to upgrade yourself. No one esle does that for you, just sayin':rolleyes:

They deliberately dumb down their stuff some months before the release of their new stuff by removing previously existing functionality like antialiasing in iPhone mode (offered by iPad 3; before iOS 5, used to offer by iPad 1 and 2) or unlimited-time recording with the iPhone 3G (before the release of the 3GS, which does support unlimited recording, the 3G was also capable of this. After the 3.0 or the 3.1 upgrade, this has been taken away.)

When they're asked why they have removed these features, they answer "it was a bug". (Not joking! They DID state this when were asked about the removal of antialiasing!)

These are just two examples. I wouldn't be surprised if the speed / memory / crashing probs of the iPad 1 (or, for that matter, the iPad 2's closing most other tabs in Safari) under iOS5 turned out to be also the result of deliberate dumbing-down...

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Dunno as I haven't tested RAW import. There's a very interesting discussion on exactly this matter at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1046&thread=39965475

Thanks for the link.

The raw data file gets sucked into the iPad by the camera connection kit.

After that there does not appear to be a good tool for manipulation or fully displaying just the RAW data.

I use the iPad to view and confirm I got the image similar to a large view finder screen.

Any serious RAW editing work has to happen on the MacBook.

Apple support pages address this as a limitation in RAW support.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5182

oggorbismedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
After that there does not appear to be a good tool for manipulation or fully displaying just the RAW data.

I use piRAWnha, it works pretty well for basic editing.

So I guess in the end, if I want to view my pictures full screen without copying them, I'm out of luck until there is a jailbreak developed that has this feature. So sad as I was really looking forward to using my iPad for more than surfing the internet and playing games :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.