Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I have an iMac G5 (iSight) and I want to re-install OS X 10.4 to start fresh again.

Is this advisable? I know Apple no longer supports 10.4, so how would I get the other 10.4 updates, etc? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I have an iMac G5 (iSight) and I want to re-install OS X 10.4 to start fresh again.

Is this advisable? I know Apple no longer supports 10.4, so how would I get the other 10.4 updates, etc? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Most definitely. 10.4 still has a modern browser (TenFourFox) and plenty of people (including myself) still use it on our PowerPC's. The only recommendation I'd give is to install 10.5 if you happen to have an install disk. An iSight iMac would run Leopard easily and Leopard has more modern software available. In regards to updates, you'd just need to click "software update" in the apple menu until you've downloaded everything such as java updates and updated the OS to 10.4.11 (Tiger) or 10.5.8 (Leopard). Also be sure to check for updates if you install iLife or iWork because Apple generally has some updates and bug fixes for the various versions of those programs that aren't included on the install disks.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Most definitely. 10.4 still has a modern browser (TenFourFox) and plenty of people (including myself) still use it on our PowerPC's. The only recommendation I'd give is to install 10.5 if you happen to have an install disk. An iSight iMac would run Leopard easily and Leopard has more modern software available. In regards to updates, you'd just need to click "software update" in the apple menu until you've downloaded everything such as java updates and updated the OS to 10.4.11 (Tiger) or 10.5.8 (Leopard). Also be sure to check for updates if you install iLife or iWork because Apple generally has some updates and bug fixes for the various versions of those programs that aren't included on the install disks.

Thanks, I though Tiger was no longer supported? When I run "software update" will the updates up to 10.4.11 still be there?

I would love to get Leopard but I'm not about to drop the money on it.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Thanks, I though Tiger was no longer supported? When I run "software update" will the updates up to 10.4.11 still be there?

I would love to get Leopard but I'm not about to drop the money on it.

By "no longer supported," it means they don't have any more new updates. You can still download the updates for OS 9 if you wanted to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.