Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
OK this is what I've just found and tested.

The Blu-ray has 2 english subtitle tracks, the first is the full english subs and the forced Navi subs merged together, the second is just the Navi subs. I was using the second sub track because I just wanted the Navi subs the problem being that the subs never clear.

I just tried using the first sub track and checked "Forced Only" and it worked perfectly, I got the Navi subs only and they clear perfectly.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
OK this is what I've just found and tested.

The Blu-ray has 2 english subtitle tracks, the first is the full english subs and the forced Navi subs merged together, the second is just the Navi subs. I was using the second sub track because I just wanted the Navi subs the problem being that the subs never clear.

I just tried using the first sub track and checked "Forced Only" and it worked perfectly, I got the Navi subs only and they clear perfectly.

Roger that - tried exactly the same thing, also with success.

I need to rerip a couple other BD's with forced subs and see if this is something unique to Avatar or is a result of a problem in how MakeMKV rips the "forced only" subs.

More testing - this is starting to feel like work (I manage a software engineering department as my day job) :)

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Yep, seems strange that the disk contains a sub track with just the forced subs and that it dosen't seem to work with Handbrake:confused: That's the track that I used with BDsup2sub months ago when I did my original encode and it worked fine with BDsup2sub, but it wont work with Handbrake:confused:

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Yep, seems strange that the disk contains a sub track with just the forced subs and that it dosen't seem to work with Handbrake:confused: That's the track that I used with BDsup2sub months ago when I did my original encode and it worked fine with BDsup2sub, but it wont work with Handbrake:confused:

BDsup2sub kept blowing up with an "index out of bounds" exception with Avatar for me - never could get it to work.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Which version of Avatar?

I'm 50% through encoding the Extended Collector's Edition via Handbrake. For this encode I picked the 2nd subtitle track (which are only the alien language), and only selected "burned in." Just in case this doesn't work, I went ahead and queued up a second encoding of the same disk, using "forced only, burned in" on the first subtitle track. It will be middle of the night before this dang encode finishes anyway.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Which version of Avatar?

I'm 50% through encoding the Extended Collector's Edition via Handbrake. For this encode I picked the 2nd subtitle track (which are only the alien language), and only selected "burned in." Just in case this doesn't work, I went ahead and queued up a second encoding of the same disk, using "forced only, burned in" on the first subtitle track. It will be middle of the night before this dang encode finishes anyway.

I have the original, not the extended. My guess is you could abort the encode with the forced-only sub track and just do what is working for roady and I - the first sub track with "forced only" checked in HB.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Just a note that the 2nd subtitle track is pure Na'vi in Avatar Extended Collectors Edition. You can just "burn in" it, without "forced" and it works perfect. Damn, this is a fantastic update to Handbrake. Really great.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Just a note that the 2nd subtitle track is pure Na'vi in Avatar Extended Collectors Edition. You can just "burn in" it, without "forced" and it works perfect. Damn, this is a fantastic update to Handbrake. Really great.

It's in my standard version as well, however do the subs clear from the screen? This is the problem both myself and khollister were having when we used the 2nd sub track, the subs appear on screen but the last one from a scene never disappears.

Last edited:

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
It's in my standard version as well, however do the subs clear from the screen? This is the problem both myself and khollister were having when we used the 2nd sub track, the subs appear on screen but the last one from a scene never disappears.

Yes, it clears just fine. I guess that's just a weird bug related to the normal Avatar blu-ray? Also, I'm using the build from the night after they added in blu-ray subtitle support, just in case that makes a difference.

Also, I just discovered RedBox, lol. Infinite movies in my library for $1.50 a pop. Nice :)

rayyu882

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010

I have the same problem on my standard version of Avatar, I only did chapter 12, not the whole movie, not sure rather that would make a different or not.

I also did Iron Man and it worked perfectly.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I just ripped "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" using the foreign dialog search and burn-in options for subtitles, and the subs were there as they were needed.

What I don't know is if this BD is one of those with a separate foreign dialog track that got picked up and burned in by HB, or it it is one of those (like "Contagion") where the foreign subs are already burned in.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hmm... Sorry, but I'm still confused. What do I click on to download?

Click on that link. It will take you to a page that give you different OS choices. Click on the one you use. It will then take you to a page that has the download file link (exe, dmg, etc). Click on that and it will download.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Click on that link. It will take you to a page that give you different OS choices. Click on the one you use. It will then take you to a page that has the download file link (exe, dmg, etc). Click on that and it will download.

Thanks! That really helps. There are two dmg mac HB options. Does it matter which one I download?

On a side note, has anyone tried this with the original Star Wars movies? (New Hope & ROTJ-- I don't think Empire has subs). When creating the MKV there are multiple English options like this:

[ ] - English Subtitles
-----[ ] - English Subtitles (Forced)

I went ahead and selected them all before making the MKV. Now I'm wondering how you know which one to select when using Hand Brake.

----------

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Just play the mkv back in a player like vlc and try each subtitle track to see which is which, although Handbrake dosen't name the tracks they are in the same order as they show up in vlc. So subtitle track 1 in vlc will also be subtitle track 1 in Handbrake.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks! That really helps. There are two dmg mac HB options. Does it matter which one I download?

On a side note, has anyone tried this with the original Star Wars movies? (New Hope & ROTJ-- I don't think Empire has subs). When creating the MKV there are multiple English options like this:

[ ] - English Subtitles

I went ahead and selected them all before making the MKV. Now I'm wondering how you know which one to select when using Hand Brake.

----------
One is CLI (command line input) and the other GUI (graphic user interface). I will assume you will want the more "user friendly" GUI interface.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX

[ ] - English Subtitles

----------

Here ya go.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Wow--- thanks so much for the help everyone! One more question, I assume I leave Burned In checked for A New Hope, but what should I do about Forced Only? Check it or leave it alone?

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Anyone want to simplify things even more? :D Im missing what "forced, default, burned in etc settings should be and it seems the thing I really want is when a character speaks in russian that its on screen, but not when everyone else speaks english.

The bluray i did in handbrake ended up having dialog burned in which i couldnt trun off. Ill try again but the track options ihave are Foreign Audio Search (bitmap), 0 English PGS and 1 English PGS and i have no idea whats what.

Thanks!!!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Wow--- thanks so much for the help everyone! One more question, I assume I leave Burned In checked for A New Hope, but what should I do about Forced Only? Check it or leave it alone?

Anyone want to simplify things even more? :D Im missing what "forced, default, burned in etc settings should be and it seems the thing I really want is when a character speaks in russian that its on screen, but not when everyone else speaks english.

The bluray i did in handbrake ended up having dialog burned in which i couldnt trun off. Ill try again but the track options ihave are Foreign Audio Search (bitmap), 0 English PGS and 1 English PGS and i have no idea whats what.

Thanks!!!
Handbrake will only burn in the subtitles to an mp4 unless you are adding an srt subtitle file which will produce soft subs that can be turned on/off. There are a couple ways to handle the forced subs, do the Foreign Audio Search (it will scan your input file for non-English forced subs) or if you know which subtitle track are the forced subs, you can select it manually. Either way, you need "Forced Sub" and "Burn In" checked. Don't worry about "Default"

Please keep in mind that there is lots of variation in how movies do forced subs. Some have a separate track for them, some have them imbedded in the normal subtitle track with a flag to turn them on/off, some have both, some have....

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Handbrake will only burn in the subtitles to an mp4 unless you are adding an srt subtitle file which will produce soft subs that can be turned on/off. There are a couple ways to handle the forced subs, do the Foreign Audio Search (it will scan your input file for non-English forced subs) or if you know which subtitle track are the forced subs, you can select it manually. Either way, you need "Forced Sub" and "Burn In" checked. Don't worry about "Default"

Please keep in mind that there is lots of variation in how movies do forced subs. Some have a separate track for them, some have them imbedded in the normal subtitle track with a flag to turn them on/off, some have both, some have....

Thanks! I'll experiment with it.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Is it still leaving on screen the last subtitle? I've seen this happen with soft also - but just want to know if it's been fixed before I got crazy re-encoding all my star wars movies

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I downloaded the latest nightly build (4728) and it does not seem to have the mkv subtitle feature. I have multiple mkv files from makemkv with the forced subtitles saved and I have some with the full subtitles saved. Handbrake is not seeing the subtitles. Is this because I do not have the correct nightly build?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.