Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
I'd like to be able to stream music from my laptop to my stereo, BUT I want to be able to control it from the laptop, is that possible? I have all sorts of formats of music and I play some in itunes, some in VLC, and I like to stream sometimes on shoutcast.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'd like to be able to stream music from my laptop to my stereo, BUT I want to be able to control it from the laptop, is that possible? I have all sorts of formats of music and I play some in itunes, some in VLC, and I like to stream sometimes on shoutcast.
You can stream iTunes audio to your speakers with an AirPort Express. To stream other audio, you can use Airfoil for Mac.

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!

If i was you id probably buy something like the Belkin music receiver. It will stream all audio and act like speakers for your computer.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=508754

Or if you have an old iOS device lying around purchase Airfoil and use the free airspeakers app. :)

/Marvin

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
airport express or aTV to stream music only from iTunes.
and if you want to use a program other than iTunes to stream the audio, you need airfoil

the express and aTV are the same price.
aTV gives you more features, but you must have an optical or HDMI input on your stereo (or buy a digital to analog converter), and you need a television to get the aTV setup..

also note that if you want to watch videos, you must use airfoil's player. There is about a 2 second delay in airfoil's audio due to buffering.

theLemur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.