Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
I use an apple tv for music in my TV room and dining room (wired) and would like a pair of speakers in different rooms (wireless). Ideally two different sets of speakers one in the kitchen and one set outside in the garden. The wifi works in all these spaces.

Should I be looking at airplay or bluetooth speakers? And which ones? B&W zeplins seem to have issues with the airplay others say it works great.

Suggestions for my set up would be appreciated.

911scanner

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
I purchased audiopro (Sweden) LV2 bookshelfs. They have a usb dongle that plugs into a computer for sound transport, or else you can use a Stereo RCA to headphone jack adaptor into the dongle.

Not a budget speaker by any means, but you get what you pay for. I did "try" the B&W's sold through the Apple store. They did have good sound quality but didn't achieve the volume levels I was searching for.

I enjoy these so much that I purchased the LV3's for my home theater and I'm planning on getting at least 3 more pair of bookshelfs when the funds are available.

Good luck!

Bymatt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
I have used the Rocket Fish Sender..Receiver

to wirelessly get the rear surround signal to my Home Theater for over 7 months now. Works extremely well. The get going price for one pair of any quality speakers you want to use is up to the speakers. Rocket Fish simple setup starts at 99.00 GREAT quality.
Not sure how you would do 2 pair though. Check em out!

Larpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
audiopro looks interesting but I don't see how it connects to the amp? It looks like you have to connect it to a usb. Speakers and reviews look nice. I don't mind spending a bit on speakers.

I also don't see how the rocket fish works. Do I need to get two receivers/senders?

But both of these are the sort of thing I want. It would be cool if I could also have a dock for a ipod/iphone so that I have the option of playing that in the kitchen.

Thanks for the help

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
In my mind, the selection of AirPlay speakers is way too limited (and mostly way too expensive). You can get a refurbished AirPort Express for under $70 and plug it into any audio system with line inputs.

In my case, I had an old AirPort express lying around unused. I also had some fairly decent speakers I wasn't using. I bought a 25 W stereo amp from Amazon for under $25 and turned it into a nice AirPlay system.

This worked so well, I bought a refurb AirPort Express and another $25 amp and installed then in my garage with another set of unused speakers.

I also think it’s worth mentioning that AirFoil is great once you start using AirPlay regularly. It let’s me AirPlay any audio from my computer all over the house.

Larpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
The question is can I airplay from my apple TV? Same gors for some of the other suggestions.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I believe the first gen ATV could Airplay to other devices. The ATV2 or 3 cannot.

However, there's no reason you can't Airplay from your computer to the ATV and other sets of speakers.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can airplay from the aTV as of the software update from a few months ago.

you can only airplay to one location though. (not the TV and the remote speakers at the same time either)

if you want to go to multiple locations at the same time you must airplay from your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.