Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I always loved how beautiful the miniot smart cover was but never got one because of all the problems I heard about it - from magnet issues to wood warping. I see Miniot has a newly-designed "Mk2" cover for the new iPad (which I'm going to call the iPad 3 regardless of what anyone says, and you all will too in 4 to 6 months from now).

While I presume nobody yet has one since it gives a 6-week estimated shipping time, but presumptions can always be rebutted. Maybe they're available at a miniot store in Holland, who knows. I'd just love to get a review of one. If the issues with the 1st gen Miniot iPad smart cover have been solved, I'm certainly going to order one of these.

Thanks for any info

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I wanted one so badly last year, but held back too for the same reasons you did. The other day I went to the site and saw they'd redesigned the cover and decided to go for it. I should get the cherry version in 5 or 6 weeks.

I couldn't find a review either, and admit I'm concerned about the same problems but I guess we'll see how it goes when I get it.

They really are beautiful, and I'm a wood freak. I love my miniot iphone 4s case so I know they make really nice quality stuff.

https://www.miniot.com/webshop/?portlet=miniot&page=mcm2_standard

1331808143_MiniotMk2Kersen.jpg

Last edited:

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I might do the same, Jeff. I can't imagine they would have redesigned it and not fixed the few issues with the first generation one - there was no need to redesign it just for the new iPad. I'm really tempted to just order one. Just wish I could get one little bit of 3rd party info about it....

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I might do the same, Jeff. I can't imagine they would have redesigned it and not fixed the few issues with the first generation one - there was no need to redesign it just for the new iPad. I'm really tempted to just order one. Just wish I could get one little bit of 3rd party info about it....

I hear ya. When mine arrives I'll post a review.. that's potentially a long way off though.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
When you click on the new iPad on their website, you can choose between "Miniot Cover" and "MK2". What's the difference? The first one has a standard version at around $70 while the customized version is $98. The MK2 only has some standard colors and costs $90 I think.

I don't get what the difference between the two covers are, and Miniot doesn't like replying emails apparently...

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
When you click on the new iPad on their website, you can choose between "Miniot Cover" and "MK2". What's the difference? The first one has a standard version at around $70 while the customized version is $98. The MK2 only has some standard colors and costs $90 I think.

I don't get what the difference between the two covers are, and Miniot doesn't like replying emails apparently...

The difference appears to be the way it attaches to your ipad. The first one used magnets inserted into the underside of the wood slats and it would lay flat upon the screen. This time around they've added an additional flap that attaches in the same spots the current smart cover does. This should be a lot more secure, hopefully.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Alright, thanks. I think I'll get one eventually, but I just found a navy blue leather cover for cheap I couldn't stand for, especially considering you'd have to wait 6 weeks for the Miniot one.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
yeah, this new version looks solid.
I ordered the first one and when I heard all the issues I cancel it before they shipped.
I will wait until people can give feedback about this one. I hope they get it right this time. I love the wood look and feel.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
FedEx just showed up at my door with it. I think I might have gasped a bit when I opened the box.. it's gorgeous. I was afraid it'd be pale like the picture, but it's aged enough to have acquired that gorgeous red that makes me love cherry wood so much.

As a woodworking geek I'm really particular and am very satisfied. It's overcast and blah outside, but should the sun come out I'll get a couple of pictures to post.

I should also add it fits perfectly with the Belkin Snap Shield.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
There was another review out there, ilounge I believe, and they indicated that the cover does not lay flat across the screen.

This kept me away...anxious to hear your thoughts on your new cover.

Edit :

Click Me
Click Me 2
Latest Review

Last edited:

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
This review is not from the latest miniot cover. The date of the review is June of 2011. You can also tell from looking at the cover. It doesn't attach like the newest version.

You're partially correct. The link I posted is for the new version. The first two Zap posted are the older version.

No issues with mine not laying flat at all. I'm very happy with it.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Looks good bro. It seems a very well crafted piece.
How's the cover opening and closing, it's solid? Does the magnets work well?
I am looking at the mahogany one but damn, it's a expensive product. :(

It really is well made. Everything is ruler straight and there are no flaws that I can find. Opening and closing are really nice. They've used some pretty strong magnets, at least on par with the smart cover. They're strong enough that you can hold the cover and dangle the ipad without worry. Curling the cover to make a stand is easy and feels really secure. It's not cheap at all, no question there. I think the craftsmanship justifies the cost.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
It really is well made. Everything is ruler straight and there are no flaws that I can find. Opening and closing are really nice. They've used some pretty strong magnets, at least on par with the smart cover. They're strong enough that you can hold the cover and dangle the ipad without worry. Curling the cover to make a stand is easy and feels really secure. It's not cheap at all, no question there. I think the craftsmanship justifies the cost.

Thanks for the reply.
I am really considering one now that they fixed most issues the first one had.
Yours look good on that picture.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Looks better in person too. The camera washed it out. There is a lot more red in it in person. The mahogany looks like it'll be a great choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.