Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I played around with my father's iPad 2 for about a month when he was away..I really enjoyed it for reading, chess, a few other "cerebral" games, netflix, etc. Nothing very taxing for the little machine..

Now, I want to get my own. I have an option for an iPad 2 for $300 that's mint. However, the new screen on the 3 looks great for reading, which I do a lot of. My question concerns the heat: is it going to get much more noticeably hot than the 2 for reading? I'm not worried about heat for watching Netflix, but for reading when it's on my lap, it's a little more concerning.

I also use cases..Like the Speck. Would all of this be moot with the case anyway? I'm sure someone has asked this somewhere, but I'm not a big peruse-r of the forums. Thanks for reading!

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
My iPad 3 does not get hot. It only gets a lithe warm sometimes when watching videos or playing games, never while just reading. I hardly notice the temperature change at all.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My iPad (3rd gen) does not ever get hot. In fact, it barely gets warm. I suppose if I played games more taxing than Angry Birds or GeoDefense, it'll get warm. But for general usage like Tweetbot, Safari, email and other assorted apps, it doesn't get hot and performs like a champ.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
There is, nor never was, a heating issue accept perhaps a few units. It runs warmer than the previous iPads, but not any warmer than a laptop computer or other tablets with comparable graphics chips.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
There is, nor never was, a heating issue accept perhaps a few units. It runs warmer than the previous iPads, but not any warmer than a laptop computer or other tablets with comparable graphics chips.

What?! So there is and isn't an issue?quite a paradox.

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
the whole issue of ipads overheating was blown out of proportion! - my iphone 4 gets way hotter than my iapd, my ipad gets slightly warm, but nothing alarming. media creating stories out of very little.

HogWild

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
NW Arkansas
Case

I used my iPad for several weeks before my case came in. Never more than slightly warm. Is now always in a pad and quill case and have NEVER noticed any heat issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.