Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Maybe this is the new thing. I wouldn't be surprised, and I also wouldn't be surprised if because of this, B & E's have increased 10 fold. once the word gets around on the streets

Frankly, they scare the **** out of me, not because I may lose anything, but because who knows what these creeps might do in a panic situation, if by chance they broke into your place and you daughter or wife was in the shower.

It's difficult to restrain my anger....sorry :eek:

Have a good working shotgun at a minimum, and alarms if your really smart. THe USA it not safe in many areas. It's not like Europe or many other countries.

Then again, it's paradise compared to some :D

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Well detectives are on the case so I hope they find these criminals.

I'm gonna get ADT and German Sherpards and everything and no I am not switching from OSX despite this tragedy so stop implying I've made some sort of "decision."

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
You really should take down the sign outside your house that says Apple products located inside.

I just took it down. Should have been had the ADT sign there instead...

if yunno what I mean...

I have heard of cases where thieves demanded the phone, and then gave it back when they noticed that it was a blackberry. iPhone theft is a problem in many downtown areas, and iPads and macbooks are similarly attractive for thieves.

On the other hand, I also had my car window broken for a $50 Garmin GPS (I left the suction part on the window... stupid me). Thieves will take anything ;)

Lold at the blackberry being given back. That made me smile through the pain for a moment thanks...

For future reference Undercover beats the pants off Find My Mac. I have it installed on all my Macs. And check out Witness, which turns a Mac iSight camera into a motion-sensor camera. If Witness had been installed on the MBP and you own an iPhone you would have received an alert and images of the thief while he was in the process of stealing your MBP.

I tested Witness a couple of days ago. It took a few seconds from the time I entered my office until an alert showed up on my iPhone with images of the room.

http://www.orbicule.com

Wow amazing post! Since it happened I've been wondering If things like that along the lines of that were possible.

I super wish I had that installed..

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Before in the past I have never had anyone ever even come close to stealing from me.

In the post iPhone era I have been a victim of 4 thefts.

My MBP is the reason some hooligans burglarized my home.

They ENTERED MY HOME for this thing.

I mean is it even safe to have these products anymore?

I thought resale value was a good thing but now I realize it's like a downside of ownership. I've heard stories of people not walking the streets with the white headphones and get black ones so they don't get targeted for muggings.

These things are like a currency. What am I supposed to get a safe?

They barely even stole anything else because the 2.5k was more than worth it.

Scary stuff man...
Why did people know that you have a particular brand of a computer? Do you wear a t-shirt stating so?

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Before in the past I have never had anyone ever even come close to stealing from me.

In the post iPhone era I have been a victim of 4 thefts.

My MBP is the reason some hooligans burglarized my home.

They ENTERED MY HOME for this thing.

I mean is it even safe to have these products anymore?

I thought resale value was a good thing but now I realize it's like a downside of ownership. I've heard stories of people not walking the streets with the white headphones and get black ones so they don't get targeted for muggings.

These things are like a currency. What am I supposed to get a safe?

They barely even stole anything else because the 2.5k was more than worth it.

Scary stuff man...

Buy a safe to store it in much like you would a gun...remember, the only safe Mac is one that is not accessible to criminals or children.

Write your political representative and ask them to introduce legislation for these machines that turn people into criminals:

Mandatory MAC registration
A mandatory 10 day "cool off" period before you can bring your MBP home
If that does not work ask them to pass a ban on these dangerous devices

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
If youre american, surely the best solution is to buy a big gun and some ammo right?

Not fun? Ok, Ill go away. :p

noah76

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Pomona , NY
You know how you stop that ****? A Colt 1911 .45 cal. Who ever is on the receiving end will not be happy. God dam thing will go through an engine block.

You can piss your money away on ADT or what ever. Maybe the cops will show up 30 min later.My old man had to deal with that crap for work. They would call like an hour later to say the alarm is going off.

And yes^^^^ if you want to keep whats yours you buy a firearm to stop the POS from stealing .

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The MBP isn't your issue; it's the people you associate yourself with, you said it yourself. Sorry but I don't think owning nice things means you will absolutely be robbed. I think taking the necessary precautions are important. If you truly value what you have in your house you would do that.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
Used to record music with a guy couple years ago.

When I knew him he was a normal person.

Later went bad. Stalked my home. Knew a lot about me.

Shady stuff man....

I live in a nice neighborhood too. Nothing ghetto for miles.

They would have never cared to do it had it been a HP or something.

----------

I want ADT with monitoring so bad now... What's your monthly?

Yes had home insurance.

You are confusing your ownership of a MBPro with the friends you choose.

Everytime you let ANYONE in your house you are taking a chance. I do not worry so much about the Apple products but do worry about a vast collection of firearms, mostly kept in the safe. A good security system with instant email everytime a door is opened or closed while armed helps feel safe.

noah76

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Pomona , NY
Actually it sounds like your suggestion applied to only a limited subset of people - which accordingly limits its usefulness. :rolleyes:

And when you hear people in you house late at night . Please role over play dead and call 911. The cops will be with you in about 10 min. All the time they need to rape and kill you . And after that for the hell of it they will steal your crap. You roll your eyes all you want. And when that day comes your going to wish you had a god dam hand canon. You don't like guns fine. Thats your thing. But remember when you need it the most this is what you said:rolleyes:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Why did people know that you have a particular brand of a computer? Do you wear a t-shirt stating so?

That or he has the Apple sticker included with all Macs stuck to his car window. Won't be a problem for me (I don't put stickers on my car unless I absolutely must PLUS I have a garage) but some people just HAVE to put them on their cars...

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
And when you hear people in you house late at night . Please role over play dead and call 911. The cops will be with you in about 10 min. All the time they need to rape and kill you . And after that for the hell of it they will steal your crap. You roll your eyes all you want. And when that day comes your going to wish you had a god dam hand canon. You don't like guns fine. Thats your thing. But remember when you need it the most this is what you said:rolleyes:

Thanks for the dramatic read, but please read my posts again carefully and try to reply logically, without a knee-jerk defensive pro-gun stance.

If I am at home, my Glock works just fine protecting my MBP and other valuables. If I am not at home, not so much.

Your response was that the issue is that not everyone works at home. There is no viable solution for that. :rolleyes:

noah76

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Pomona , NY
Thanks for the dramatic read, but please read my posts again carefully and try to reply logically, without a knee-jerk defensive pro-gun stance.

If I am at home, my Glock works just fine protecting my MBP and other valuables. If I am not at home, not so much.

Your response was that the issue is that not everyone works at home. There is no viable solution for that. :rolleyes:

Yea sorry about that. I was watching a lot of that doomsday and bunker building shows as of late. That crap really plays with your head.

Well as for the OP why do they know he has a MBP?Why are these fine "Gentlemen" in his house? Buy a safe.

Reidan

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
It was a Macbook Pro. That has a simple solution to preventing it being stolen in a home robbery. "TAKE IT WITH YOU!" Why buy a laptop to only leave it at home all the time. My MBA is sitting on the floor next to my feet even while I am here at work.

Of course this would not work as well with an iMac, Apple TV, etc, etc. Just taunting the OP. :p

But I do have something I want to say on the guns argument.

I am a firm supporter of the Second amendment. But I prefer responsible gun ownership. I have owned firearms all of my life. I received my first rifle from my grandfather when I was 12. He taught me to shoot and hunt. I have hunted and gone to shooting ranges more times than I can remember. And I have even taken firearms safety classes sponsored by the state Department of Natural Resources for hunting safety, and at Professional Gun Trainer when I got my Concealed Carry Permit.

I am not going to go looking for trouble the way George Zimmerman did. But I am prepared to use a gun if I should ever need too. But, not everyone is prepared to do that. A person should not just go down to the local sporting good store and purchase a gun. And then bring it home and lock it in a gun safe until the day comes when someone is kicking in the basement door.

They need to use it, practice with it, become intimately familiar with it. If a situation ever arises where they need the weapon, they need to be so familiar with that weapon that all functions are natural and can be done in the dark. Loading the weapon, disarming the safety, racking a round into the chamber, etc. Failure to do so makes the gun more dangerous to you than the intruder. You may hurt yourself. Hurt an innocent. Or, the intruder will take the gun away from you and use it against you or your family.

Same goes for other members in the house. I have trained my son and my wife. They each have their own firearms. Granted my wife's weapon is just a small .22 caliber pistol. But, it can kill someone just as dead as a .50 caliber Dessert Eagle!

Noah, know what you mean about the Doomsday Preping shows. The wife likes to watch them. Make me anxious to watch them myself.

noah76

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Pomona , NY
Its all about safety. I was 8 when my dad was showing me a S&W 357mag. Also I think a little 22 is far worst then a .45 . Get hit in the arm it comes out your ass:eek:. And a few hours of the show's will make you suit up like IronMan. It puts bad thoughts in your head. Running around the house checking the windows and doors. Not once but 3 times. And it takes someone like Super to stop you and ask "what about when your not home?" Well umm dig a lava pit.

Now the OP can buy a safe and hide his goods. or like you take it to work. Or never tell this fine young "gentleman" what you have. And if they must come in . Live the worst POS laptop or computer,whatever that they think your so poor its not worth the time to rob you. Or build a lava pit with trap door. Dam shows again.:(

MisterSensitive

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Oh, cripes, I own an iMac, an MBA MBP iPhone 4s, a TC 2 ATV 3's and various accessories too, in the same room are 4 very valuable guitars, studio and stage recording equipment etc.

I also have a top end security system, locks on all windows, and have never been concerned about theft. In the unlikely event of this happening I also have something called insurance to cover that eventuality....If we all thought negatively we wouldn't buy anything.:)

In general, thieves don't care about musical instruments. They're too distinct and easy to trace back to the thief. Of course, there are exceptions, but it's typically: 1) Money 2) Drugs/Medicine 3) Guns (In USA, of course) 4) consumer electronics (including laptops) 5) Jewelry

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
The MBP isn't your issue; it's the people you associate yourself with, you said it yourself. Sorry but I don't think owning nice things means you will absolutely be robbed. I think taking the necessary precautions are important. If you truly value what you have in your house you would do that.

Excuse me? I already stated I knew the person for years. 4 years in fact.

It's one thing to asses unscrupulous individuals and not associate and keep away from your home, but it's another to predict what will happen 4 years into someone's future. We hung out often 4 years ago. We were producing music and everything like normal people.

You should know not to let in undesirables ;);)

Now I feel like I can never trust anyone ever again.

How exactly does the firearm method work when there is no one home to discharge it? :confused:

Awesome posts. I agree. I have a SW as well but they again, stalked the house and figured out when I was gone.

If you're saying that then you need to do some more research. Happily ditched ADT recently. All they're interested in is selling you stuff.

Like what? Brinks? Lol.

In general, thieves don't care about musical instruments. They're too distinct and easy to trace back to the thief. Of course, there are exceptions, but it's typically: 1) Money 2) Drugs/Medicine 3) Guns (In USA, of course) 4) consumer electronics (including laptops) 5) Jewelry

Well this wasn't a usual burglary, this guy actually wanted to be a music producer, and the MBP is the number one primary tool for any modern musician and is the whole studio, the best of any studio or other computer. So was the Apogee Duet. I almost got home in time to catch them because I talked to them beforehand and they were being shady. It's a long story I don't want to get into it.

The point was that the way things are now, there was nothing preventing that from happening. No matter what you have to leave at some point. And one way or another if someone wants to get in, they can. And even home security and dogs wouldn't technically stop a determined thief (though it is a huge challenge if you have 2 dogs and a fully equipped system) and there are some who don't even care that people find out, that's how whacked out they are.

The only solution is to deem them a threat to safety and realize it escalates the chance of home intrusions and motive for such acts because of its logistical value in the world of these whacked out individuals. They are just too high profile. They attract danger to your life and family. They are too intensely popular. The product is too good for your own safety. Beware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.