Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
I remember playing this game on my 486 66mhz with a 2X CD-rom using a Trident video card. It was one of the first, if not the first, interactive game that you play on the CD. And doesn't the game span on several CDs? Ah, those were the days... :rolleyes:

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Hmmm. Not downloading for me. I'm getting an error about a duplicate filename or something. But the store says it's "purchased" and lists it as an item I have so I can get it later when they fix the issue on the app store side.

Edit: Never mind. It was a permissions error on my computer for the directory my iTunes purchases are stored in.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Thanks for the heads ups! Downloading (and killing my bandwidth) on the Mac and iPad at the same time :)

This was an AWESOME game, I really wasn't expecting the ending either...

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Thanks for the heads ups! Downloading (and killing my bandwidth) on the Mac and iPad at the same time :)

This was an AWESOME game, I really wasn't expecting the ending either...
You could just download on the Mac and then sync to the iPad. :rolleyes:

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I purchased this game back when I still used PCs. I don't know where the CD-ROM disc is anymore, not to mention I don't even know if I can build a VirtualBox VM with Windows 95/98 to run it.

Thanks for the heads-up on this free version of the game! I can't wait to revisit the creepiness of this fun game!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Requires iOS 4.3. Not so universal. :(

If anyone replies with "upgrade your iOS", my reply is "buy me a new iPod touch".

My first generation iPod touch still works fine thank you very much.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I managed to snag this for my iMac while it was still free. However, I'll wait a few days before I download it to my MBP, because "bandwidth killer" is right on the money. The OS X app approaches a full gigabyte in size. Wow.

Then again, the original was on two CD-ROMs, so getting this for free gets no complaints from me.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
The MacRumors article doesn't mention it, but Trilobyte is also letting you download the "Book of Secrets" for free today. It contains hints for the 7th Guest and also the 11th Hour.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Remember this game. Downloaded to my Mac and will transfer to iPad tomorrow. Also downloading 7th Guest - Infection? to my iPad while at work this evening, though the WiFi sucks at the hospital where I work.:mad:

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
I remember 7th Guest and 11th Hour on PC back in the 90's.
Downloaded now.

Nice to see that Trilobyte have upgraded these for PC, and that they have made 7th Guest for Mac and iOS.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Just missed this one. I've got to remember to check the forums out in the afternoon instead of the mornings...

I do remember the 7th Guest fondly, along with a couple other titles when PC CDROM drives were starting to become common. It was that "we will use FMV for EVERYTHING" period.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Requires iOS 4.3. Not so universal. :(

If anyone replies with "upgrade your iOS", my reply is "buy me a new iPod touch".

My first generation iPod touch still works fine thank you very much.

haha the irony, an old classic game incompatible with certain HW/SW :p

I thought I'd never see this game return, I was going to try it on the Mac, but opted for the iPad instead......I'd love to give a few others a try as well.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Wow! Yeah....

I had to download this one (both for my Mac and my iPad) last night. Had no idea Trilobyte Game company was even still around, much less that someone was porting this classic old game.

I can't remember anymore if 7th. Guest was my first CD-ROM multimedia title or not? I think I may have bought Myst first? Either way, it was ONE of the first. Like someone else said, even with the latest hardware of the era (486DX2-66Mhz CPU and a 2x Sony CD-ROM drive), I remember this having some long load times between rooms -- which is almost laughable by today's standards.

I also purchased 11th. Hour when it came out -- but don't recall playing or enjoying it as much as 7th. Guest. (I guess by then, it wasn't a brand new concept anymore....)

I really wasn't a big "puzzle game" player, but 7th. Guest kept me interested back then simply because the graphics were so amazing for its day.

I purchased this game back when I still used PCs. I don't know where the CD-ROM disc is anymore, not to mention I don't even know if I can build a VirtualBox VM with Windows 95/98 to run it.

Thanks for the heads-up on this free version of the game! I can't wait to revisit the creepiness of this fun game!

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Great

Thanks for the heads up not he minor updates to Cards and iTunes U that you posted on the main page. The 7th Guest being free, by the way, would have been delightful to read and download - yesterday.

Just bitter.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
This was the first CD-Rom game I had and I played it on my old LC III with external CD Rom drive.

Looks like I missed the free part.

Some of those puzzles were hard too. I remember at the time sitting with a dictionary trying to solve the "can" puzzle when you're in the kitchen.

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I remember being about 5 and watching my older brother play this game. I was terrified and couldn't sleep for weeks.

I'm curious if it's still as terrifying as I remember.

benjones

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Who remembers "Under a Killing Moon" which came on about 7 discs.

So before its time that game.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Lovin' it!

I got this game for free yesterday. I'd never heard of it or seen it before, let alone played it before.
I am diggin' the heck out of it! And I really don't know what I'm doing. The Boof of Secrets is for iOS only, so that's no help to me.
Big thumbs up for this one!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
You could just download on the Mac and then sync to the iPad. :rolleyes:

Actually, there's a separate version for Mac and a separate version for iOS. So you can't download the Mac version & copy it to your iPad. You have to download both.

And before anyone says "Why doesn't Apple make a Universal App format for both Macs & iOS?" there are 2 problems with that:

1) It would be hard because of the different input methods of Macs (keyboard & Mouse) and iOS devices (touch screens)

2) Can you imagine the Apple fanboy outcry about that?

I remember seeing this game years ago in stores but never bought it, much less played. Pretty fun, in a totally creepy way. The graphics are pretty bad, but who cares? I'm in it for the puzzles anyways.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Actually, there's a separate version for Mac and a separate version for iOS. So you can't download the Mac version & copy it to your iPad. You have to download both.

Pretty sure he meant to use the Mac to download both files as the computer will be faster than the iPad.

starmelts

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Who remembers "Under a Killing Moon" which came on about 7 discs.

So before its time that game.

I remember that so well! I was 11 when that came out in 1994. It was amazing. A friend of mine was quite up to date with games back then, and just playing from a CD-ROM alone was magic. The speech and the video was mind-blowing.

It seems strange, but I remember thinking around 1987 or 1988 (I was five), when we got our first CD player, that maybe someday we can watch video from one of these discs. Little did I know that the CD was actually based on Laserdisc technology.

But back to CD-ROM, I might have played Myst and Beneath a Steel Sky before Under a Killing Moon, but while beautiful, Myst was too complex for my 11 year old mind, and I seem to remember that our computer wouldn't run Beneath a Steel Sky. Under a Killing Moon was a lot easier - and worked! For some reason I can't remember ever playing The 7th Guest, although the cover looked slightly familiar. Sierra brought out a puzzle game named Shivers about a year later, that seems to have been largely based on the same idea. I had that, loved it and completed it.

Update: Just read Shivers' wiki page, and it actually states: "Playing in first-person perspective, the game is remarkably similar in style to the Virgin Interactive/Trilobyte production, the popular 7th Guest, which introduced this style of gaming. Specifically, the numerous complex puzzles tied into the 7th Guest audience, which contributed in part to its popularity."

Sierra were in their prime then. I also remember spending a lot of time with Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within and Phantasmagoria, along with Origin stuff like Ultima VIII: Pagan, Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi, Strike Commander, and Bullfrog's Syndicate, Theme Park and Theme Hospital. Would be cool to try some of them again.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wow! This takes me back.

Remember "The 11th Hour" from the same company? Some great games back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_11th_Hour_(video_game)

yep and I wish they would port it also. those were two of the best games my older sibs ever handed down to me. Also how about a retina iPad version of Myst and Riven.

there was also the King's Quest games. and one called the Gabriel Night Mysteries (or something like that)

Last edited:

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Well, I started the game a few minutes ago, a smile spreading across my face.

The smile quickly disappeared when I found myself unable to get past the title screen: no start new, load, farewell-- nothing. Is there some key press or active area I'm missing? Anybody else stuck on the opening screen?

(I'm running SL 10.6.8, if that helps.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.