Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I don't know if the screen on the new iPad is disappointing or if I have issues. I had one and took it back after 4 days as the screen had a dark brownish tinge to it. The new on is much better but still has a very subtle brownish tinge to the top of the screen. Also, the screen is nowhere near as bright as my iphone 4 or macbook pro, and the whites aren't as white as the iphone 4 or macbook pro.

Is it normal that the screen is not as bright and the white's not as white, or do I have an issue. The whole tint of the iPad seems to be different to the iphone 4 and MBP, with the ipad having a more brown/warmer tint and the iphone + MBP having a more blue/cooler tint.

I've been waiting over 18 months for an iPad with the retina display and have to say my initial reaction is that I'm disappointed. Although the resolution is excellent I'm disappointed in the brightness and tint. It's especially noticeable when I've been using my MBP or iphone for a while and then use the iPad, it's as though the iPad screen is dirty.

Cheers

Last edited:

Stouver

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
If you read every second or third post on these boards you would see that most iPads come with awful defects and crappy screens.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
If you read every second or third post on these boards you would see that most iPads come with awful defects and crappy screens.

What I'd like to know though is whether or not the iPad 3 screen is supposed to be as bright ans have the same tint as the iphone 4 and MBP or if it's normal/supposed to be like mine? If the iPads across the board aren't as bright and not the same tint then I could be searching for something that doesn't exist :eek:

Stouver

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
What I'd like to know though is whether or not the iPad 3 screen is supposed to be as bright ans have the same tint as the iphone 4 and MBP or if it's normal/supposed to be like mine? If the iPads across the board aren't as bright and not the same tint then I could be searching for something that doesn't exist :eek:

My color was a bit "warmer" than other devices but it really didn't bother me at all. I can't really notice it anymore and I would suggest that you don't stress about it too hard, or you will end up one of those sad folk who returns 13 iPads.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Just to show what I mean here's my iphone and iPad 3 side by side. I know the colour schemes are different but if you look at the whites on the iPad they look like they have a bown tint to me/faded. Both are on full brightness setting taken in daylight indoors.

DSC02714.jpg

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Phone looks terribly blue and the carpet is kinda bad. The iPad is spot on.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
iPad just has a warmer color temp than the iPhone. No issue, just how that screen was calibrated.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Nope, looks fine just enjoy it.

Thanks for the clarification, as long as I know that's how it's supposed to look that's fine. I just expected it to be the same as the iphone, so when it was different I worried it was faulty :eek:

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA

You can not compare your iPad to your phone or laptop. They will be different.

If you have already replaced your iPad and it, too, has what you think is a dark brown tinge, it could be that it is not the screen.

I know people here feel that they all deserve a PERFECT device but in the real world of electronics every screen will differ and each owner will "perceive" different things. There are thousands of threads on this subject and it all breaks down to if you can't stand it, trade it in for another.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Why cant apple just release a screen calibration APP so everyone can fine tune to their needs.

Think of how much money in refurb/return shipping they would save.

As a shareholder, I would appreciate and end to all of this screen strife.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
You can not compare your iPad to your phone or laptop. They will be different.

If you have already replaced your iPad and it, too, has what you think is a dark brown tinge, it could be that it is not the screen.

I know people here feel that they all deserve a PERFECT device but in the real world of electronics every screen will differ and each owner will "perceive" different things. There are thousands of threads on this subject and it all breaks down to if you can't stand it, trade it in for another.

I agree with what you are saying, and now that I'm informed it's normal I'm happy with that.
Unfortunately due to my issues with the first one, which did have really dark patches and was uneven, I scrutinised this one and made myself paranoid :eek:

Obviously everyone is different but I have to say I prefer the whiter whites of the iPhone, but maybe I will change my mind the more I use the iPad. Perhaps I will start to think the iPhone is too blue as mentioned already above :rolleyes:

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
I agree with what you are saying, and now that I'm informed it's normal I'm happy with that.
Unfortunately due to my issues with the first one, which did have really dark patches and was uneven, I scrutinised this one and made myself paranoid :eek:

Obviously everyone is different but I have to say I prefer the whiter whites of the iPhone, but maybe I will change my mind the more I use the iPad. Perhaps I will start to think the iPhone is too blue as mentioned already above :rolleyes:

Sounds like you will do fine. It is the backlighting LEDs. Some are warmer while other are blue/cold. Some like it and some do not. It is just the way it is.

Hope you enjoy your iPad, they are great!

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Well after getting a couple of negative comments from colleagues about the screen I decided to put my mind at rest I'd go to my local electrical store and compare my iPad to some others. Mine was definitely different to the others, less bright and browner. So I booked an appointment at my local apple store and off I went. As soon as I turned mine on the guy said "that's not right", and when we put it next to one in store there was a marked difference. The Apple guy also pointed out how poor the viewing angle was on mine. So he swapped it and we checked the new one out before I left the store. The new one is great, and I'm much happier with it. I can get on with enjoying my iPad now and stop worrying.
For interest here's the new one side by side with my iPhone.
DSC02726.jpg

This was the old one. Admittedly the ambient light is a bit difference but I still think it shows the difference.
DSC02714.jpg

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Shame on all the people who said the screen on the first iPad you had was fine...typical MR/Apple apologists.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Snerkler, the above photos are THE definitive response to the hundreds of posts here on MacForums and the 58 page thread on the Apple Discussion forum.

It is said that pictures speak louder than words! They literally screamed!

While they do not address the pink/green issues that many have spoken of, they do indeed prove that one does not have to accept the muddy brownish yellow screens that Apple is producing!

Kudos to you for following your instincts!

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Snerkler, the above photos are THE definitive response to the hundreds of posts here on MacForums and the 58 page thread on the Apple Discussion forum.

It is said that pictures speak louder than words! They literally screamed!

While they do not address the pink/green issues that many have spoken of, they do indeed prove that one does not have to accept the muddy brownish yellow screens that Apple is producing!

Kudos to you for following your instincts!

Thanks, I guess it pays to be picky sometimes. I was starting to think I was hallucinating it :eek:

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Well after getting a couple of negative comments from colleagues about the screen I decided to put my mind at rest I'd go to my local electrical store and compare my iPad to some others. Mine was definitely different to the others, less bright and browner. So I booked an appointment at my local apple store and off I went. As soon as I turned mine on the guy said "that's not right", and when we put it next to one in store there was a marked difference. The Apple guy also pointed out how poor the viewing angle was on mine. So he swapped it and we checked the new one out before I left the store. The new one is great, and I'm much happier with it. I can get on with enjoying my iPad now and stop worrying.
For interest here's the new one side by side with my iPhone.

This was the old one. Admittedly the ambient light is a bit difference but I still think it shows the difference.

So glad you exchanged that iPad. That first iPad was yellow and looked dull.

vjacques

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
i think it's time for the "looks fine just enjoy it" crowd to admit the problems with their own screens. come on, guys, we won't judge you with anxiety disorders and mental illnesses.

rz-jacks

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
West Lafayette IN
Wow the new one looks like its supposed to. I'm so glad you found a good one. It looks perfect. What's the production week and or serial number on that?

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Just to show what I mean here's my iphone and iPad 3 side by side. I know the colour schemes are different but if you look at the whites on the iPad they look like they have a bown tint to me/faded. Both are on full brightness setting taken in daylight indoors.

I really don't see the problem here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.