Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Guys lets stay on task, this is an nfl football thread id prefer this thread not get moved to prsi wasteland. There is already a thread there about tebow feel free to discuss him there at length

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
You have to wonder if all these blows to the head playing football played a role in this.

I'm sure it's just coincidence, but this is the weirdest thing..

From the ESPN article:

Seau is the eighth member of the 1994 Chargers, who reached the Super Bowl and lost to to the San Francisco 49ers, to die at a young age. He was predeceased by Chris Mims, David Griggs, Rodney Culver, Lewis Bush, Curtis Whitley, Shawn Lee and Doug Miller.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
You have to wonder if all these blows to the head playing football played a role in this.

I think it is becoming more apparent, with possible links to diseases such as ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease).

And vague statements like this do not help disseminate that information.

Researchers from that school later determined Duerson suffered from a neurodegenerative disease linked to concussions, and that played a role in triggering his depression.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The NFL is about to undergo a big hurt over concussions. Saw Harry Carson on MSNBC earlier talking about it. There are currently 1,500 lawsuits filed against the NFL over concussion related issues.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The NFL is about to undergo a big hurt over concussions. Saw Harry Carson on MSNBC earlier talking about it. There are currently 1,500 lawsuits filed against the NFL over concussion related issues.

I've heard about this, but my question is what is the solution? Football is a violent game and players know that going into it. Athletes take the risk in order to make the amount of money a professional football player makes. I'm sure they will put more policies and prevention in place like routine neuro scans, more physician oversite, better retirement benefits, etc.. But, short of turning that game into flag or two hand touch, what is the answer to the problem? If the game becomes too "safe" then it will lose it's appeal for the audience.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I think, unfortunately, we won't be able to judge the success or failure of the recent measures taken by the NFL to protect players until the players that began their careers recently retire. Otherwise, it's hard to say definitively that the things being highlighted and worked on - medically and otherwise - are not working.

It's also the culture of the game and the players that play it. I highly doubt nowadays you'll see a coach forcing a player seeing birdies to go into a game. But you will see players trying to hard concussion symptoms or not disclosing something that might make them have to take a concussion test. It's self-inflicted harm very often.

I don't see an obvious solution outside of making the NFL more flag football-ish.

bradyseau.png

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Maybe take away the helmet and replace it with leather ones?

I don't think that would work with how tackling is. They would have to put in rules about how to tackle and when you are allowed to tackle. It would turn Football into Rugby with forward passing and possibly less blocking.

Since professionalism, Rugby has seen players get taller, stronger, heavier and faster. It's also seen padded under shirts, which don't really help against impacts but I've seen old team mates think they're invincible when wearing them, or even scrum caps, which do nothing against concussions - I know after a hard hit on me once (where strangely enough, I said nothing about it and my old coach didn't notice, but that's what happens in these sports, bravado and the sense that you have to work through pain for the good of the team is a powerful and not always good thing.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I don't think that would work with how tackling is. They would have to put in rules about how to tackle and when you are allowed to tackle. It would turn Football into Rugby with forward passing and possibly less blocking.

Since professionalism, Rugby has seen players get taller, stronger, heavier and faster. It's also seen padded under shirts, which don't really help against impacts but I've seen old team mates think they're invincible when wearing them, or even scrum caps, which do nothing against concussions - I know after a hard hit on me once (where strangely enough, I said nothing about it and my old coach didn't notice, but that's what happens in these sports, bravado and the sense that you have to work through pain for the good of the team is a powerful and not always good thing.

Hmm... Going back to the old style padding etc. That would take care of how they would hit each other lol......

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
They'd have to:

-Take away hitting people without the ball
-Have a 'tackle zone' from shoulders to bottom of thighs
-All padding must be a soft foam. Hard helmets and shoulder pads would be taken away.

These rule changes would turn it into Rugby League with a forward pass. There would be less players really putting their bodies on the line because they don't have the false sense of immortality that the pads and helmet gives them. Imagine if Eric LeGrand didn't feel that a couple of years ago in the game against Army, he could have been training with the Bucs now instead of battling just to be able to walk again.

Ultimately, I think it's not that equipment needs to change, but the mindset, they're trying to do it with the Penalties and fines that serial head chargers get (Janes Harrison jumps out at me there, but with his strength, he is perfectly capable of tackling properly), hopefully kids playing Pop Warner are being taught to tackle properly and wholeheartedly, but are being told that without proper technique, they are looking at hurting themselves regardless of how heavy or how much padding they wear.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
Thread resurrection since we're getting close to Week 1.

Anyone see last night's Hard Knocks? Pretty fascinating stuff in general, the Chad Johnson stuff was brutal.
watched both shows so far...love it.

on a side note, read the whole thread approx where seau killed himself. did you guys know he was a wife/woman beater? in two separate lawsuits from women that he abused?

im so tired of all the RIP/sadness for him, he ruined women's lives. good riddance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.