Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Title says it. Is it possible for a PowerBook G4 12" running Leopard to wipe itself upon someone getting the user password wrong a set number of times in case the laptop falls in the wrong hands?

I know that prevention is better than cure and that it is always best to keep my laptop attended, but Murphy's Law can strike, so at least I would like some kind of contingency.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Title says it. Is it possible for a PowerBook G4 12" running Leopard to wipe itself upon someone getting the user password wrong a set number of times in case the laptop falls in the wrong hands?

I know that prevention is better than cure and that it is always best to keep my laptop attended, but Murphy's Law can strike, so at least I would like some kind of contingency.

I don't know of any way to do that, but it is very easy to boot into single-user mode using Apple-Option-S, and then get the user's password (Or completely delete the user's account), so set an open-firmware password if you don't already have one.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Also, someone could easily boot your PowerBook into Target Disk Mode and root around in your file system. It's the key failure/convenience of Target Disk Mode.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Also, someone could easily boot your PowerBook into Target Disk Mode and root around in your file system. It's the key failure/convenience of Target Disk Mode.

Bloody hell. It seems the only way around is higher vigilance, then. Thanks for your info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.