Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want the colored Finder (and iTunes) icons back?

• Total voters

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
It was so easy to navigate in the Finder with the colorful icons. Now all what you see (since Lion) is grey, grey and grey, grey.

Do you want the colored Finder (and iTunes) icons back?

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I prefer grey icons, gives 'uniform' feeling which I personally like better.

But, there should be an option to let users choose which.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I prefer the grey ones, looks more professional and makes the OS sink into the background.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I have had my whole OS grayed since I can remember. I suppose they could leave the option up to the end user though.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I remember having the Aqua appearance set up in OS 9 because it was at the time the coolest thing ever. It reached it's peak at Tiger (which coincidentally is the best Mac OS ever) and has gone progressively downhill from there.

Give me an option to have color and you have my $30.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Heres a good one of Tiger. Colors and pretty big icons.
osx14slideshow.png

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I loved the Leopard look. Much more polished than Tiger, but kept the colors. I'm not a fan of the grey look, and I wish they'd give us back the option. I used to have tons of custom icons, but they don't even show in the sidebar if I set them, so I just haven't bothered in a while.

jW

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I want the translucent style of drop-down menus pre 10.5.2 back. Apple made the menus more opaque when the masses rose up against the lack of choice of having a translucent menubar and forced it all on everyone

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't get why anyone would vote No to this... no ones trying to force you to have color, they are simply wanting the option to get the color back... You could go monochrome or lots of color before if you wanted.... now you can't.

"Oh please Apple, take options away from us!!" :rolleyes:

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
UI elements should be unobtrusive. Easily seen, but not garrish... and uniformity is key. I don't mind the colors, but the size of those icons is ridiculous.

I want Apple to decide on a standard for their UI already. They're getting there, but you can still see remnants of previous OS versions floating about... the toolbar in Disk Utility is a good example of this. Colored icons, versus the gray, minimalist icons of, say, Mail or Safari. The iWork apps also have these colored icons, and they look horrible, out-dated.

I hate to say the M word, but Microsoft's 2007+ Office apps demonstrate a better presentation of colored UI icon elements while also maintaining high-quality and uniformity. You may not like them, but at least they don't look like icons from the days of Windows NT.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think I liked Leopard most. I would like the colors back but not the clown-like icons found in Tiger. I like the size now, but I wouldn't mind colors.

AliClifton

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I dont see why they couldnt give the user the choice? I seem to remember being able to choose between two distinct themes in Tiger Aqua and Brushed Metal...Or even better all for the creation of custom created user/community UI themes without the need for 3rd party software.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Snow Leopard was the best OS for me (then again, I didn't use Tiger, only Leopard). I loved the look and the Aqua scrollbars and elements. Now it's all greyish and horrible after SL. Ugh.

That being said, you CAN get color back with some tweaks. Both in iTunes and Finder.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I forgot how much easier that 2D dock is to look at until I saw the picture (of Tiger, above). The 3D dock with the icons exposed really blends into background windows. Oh, I miss it all, I want it back! That's a great picture of Tiger.

You can get the 2D dock back. It's not the same look (rather, the look of the side-dock) but it's much nicer than the 3D one. Enter in terminal:

$ defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.