Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
This would coincide with the release of Mountain Lion...

For what purpose? Only reason to delay the hardware in lieu of otherwise upgradable software is if it features HiDPI / Retina.

There are a loooooot of customers shouting "take my money already!" re: 2012 iMacs. They'll have no qualms about shelling out another $30 in a couple months for an OS upgrade.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
For what purpose? Only reason to delay the hardware in lieu of otherwise upgradable software is if it features HiDPI / Retina.

There are a loooooot of customers shouting "take my money already!" re: 2012 iMacs. They'll have no qualms about shelling out another $30 in a couple months for an OS upgrade.

Release of Lion in 2011 did not stop the refresh of iMacs so I can't see why it would this year.

Keiranmorphew

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
Is the 8th of may a realistic date, i recently brought 27" iMac and it might arrive before the 8th so is it worth me cancelling the order? Cheers

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
I would cancel the order.

I am sitting at my desk with money burning a hole in my pocket as we speak!

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Is the 8th of may a realistic date, i recently brought 27" iMac and it might arrive before the 8th so is it worth me cancelling the order? Cheers

I suggest cancelling the order. You'll get more bang for your buck with the 2012 iMac. It should come out any week now...

FWIW I read that a few Alienware users are getting their hands on OEM HD 7970m's for their notebooks... Interesting.

Frobo512

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Don't cancel...yet Once you receive your computer you have two weeks to return it. I just did this with a MacBook pro, waited till the 13th day and then returned it at the apple store with no hassle.

Hopefully the new iMac will come out soon as I'm just using my iPad for everything.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Don't think a redesign will happen, thes blogs cover their back by saying some say its due a redesign just in case it happens. Clearly Ivy Bridge chips plus 1080p FaceTime maybe usb 3 if Apple want to implement it.

Cant really see a reason for waiting if its only what i mentioned above, Don't use FaceTime and have Thunderbolt. People that bought iMacs in last few months/weeks have nothing to worry about as 2011 iMacs are very Beastly.

I can't see USB3 happening either. They could easily have put that in the 2011 Mac. The fact that it's not there isn't an accident - it must have been a deliberate decision and not a cost-based one either. More to do with promoting TB, in-line with some of their other seemingly daft decisions like removing support for displayport input and removing displayport connections from the 27" cinema display.

TB adoption is still woeful across the industry and Apple "giving up" by adding USB3 to its new Macs wouldn't help.

The only things I can see waiting for are, perhaps a matte screen and probably graphics card improvement to 7xxxm from 6xxxm.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I can't see USB3 happening either. They could easily have put that in the 2011 Mac. The fact that it's not there isn't an accident - it must have been a deliberate decision and not a cost-based one either. More to do with promoting TB, in-line with some of their other seemingly daft decisions like removing support for displayport input and removing displayport connections from the 27" cinema display.

TB adoption is still woeful across the industry and Apple "giving up" by adding USB3 to its new Macs wouldn't help.

The only things I can see waiting for are, perhaps a matte screen and probably graphics card improvement to 7xxxm from 6xxxm.

USB3 support is native on Ivy Bridge. It wasn't on Sandy Bridge, and required a optional controller. There is literally now no reason for Apple not to offer it on their new iMac unless they are ordering custom-gimped IB CPUs from Intel, which would probably cost them more and would be a completely insane move.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
USB3 support is native on Ivy Bridge. It wasn't on Sandy Bridge, and required a optional controller. There is literally now no reason for Apple not to offer it on their new iMac unless they are ordering custom-gimped IB CPUs from Intel, which would probably cost them more and would be a completely insane move.

It’s got nothing to with the gimping the CPU or custom CPUs since it’s not the CPU that decides whether you have USB 3 or not (or whatever ports for that matter).

USB support is built into the chipset, which is basically a motherboard controller that controls the communications between the CPU and external devices.

Intel has announced 3 chipsets for Ivy Bridge. All 3 support USB 3 natively (4 USB 3 ports and 14 USB 2 ports). But 3 of last year’s Sandy Bridge chipsets can also utilise Ivy Bridge CPUs (Z68, P67 and H67), which, as has been pointed out, do not support USB 3 natively and motherboards require an extra optional controller.

In 2011 Apple used the “best” and most expensive chipset available for Sandy Bridge , the Z68. In fact, Intel was not even officially shipping the Z68 for a week after the 2011 iMacs were released.

So, Apple could choose to use the Z68 chipset from last year and save themselves some cash by reusing last year's motherboard design. But this will mean that we get Ivy Bridge CPUs without USB 3. Let’s wait and see.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Who knows.

Let's face it, the whole world is going USB3 and it would in many ways be mad for Apple not to include it.

On the other hand, they could very easily have included it (for pennies) last time around and they chose not to. Plenty of other products from 2011 had USB3 and yet Apple declined to include it in the 2011 iMacs.

I think this has far more to do with them trying to drive adoption of Thunderbolt. And given the very poor availability of Thunderbolt devices today, nothing has really changed since last year.

The question in my mind is whether they may feel omitting USB3 will damage sales. I can't imagine that it would, and for that reason I think they will prefer to leave it out again.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
With the imac rumor mill being almost dead for a month now,and little attention to Mac hardware, does anyone have a slight feeling we may wait past WWDC?

Murtagh

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
With the imac rumor mill being almost dead for a month now,and little attention to Mac hardware, does anyone have a slight feeling we may wait past WWDC?

I am praying that isn't the case and I am still in denial and expect a silent refresh (despite lack of rumors and stock). Logically, WWDC or later seems more and more likely but at the same time, why would Apple wait longer? Shouldn't they want to release it ASAP with all of the latest hardware??

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
I am praying that isn't the case and I am still in denial and expect a silent refresh (despite lack of rumors and stock). Logically, WWDC or later seems more and more likely but at the same time, why would Apple wait longer? Shouldn't they want to release it ASAP with all of the latest hardware??

I looked on the buyers guide, only time imac came mid -late was. july 2010 but 2009 had a late year release. So that should tell us June is deadline.. Hope. Just some imac rumor /supply attention is needed now, too much to ask for!

----------

A little off topic.but also in regards to imac/ mac rumors, what i dont get is why posts here on macrumors usually taper off betwen late morning and early afternoon? And weekends are dead.

On the other hand , the other rumor sites dont post stuff we dont see so. It is only May 3,

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
----------

[/COLOR]A little off topic.but also in regards to imac/ mac rumors, what i dont get is why posts here on macrumors usually taper off betwen late morning and early afternoon? And weekends are dead.

On the other hand , the other rumor sites dont post stuff we dont see so. It is only May 3,

Because people live in different parts of the world. The US is asleep right now.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
Because people live in different parts of the world. The US is asleep right now.

Im in the US. It is 7am, many people are awake.

Its just a bummer seeing no mac posts no imac posts no late day posts and dead weekends. Longest wait

----------

There are a loooooot of customers shouting "take my money already!" re: 2012 iMacs. They'll have no qualms about shelling out another $30 in a couple months for an OS upgrade.[/QUOTE

For the 100th time, holding off on products until late summer makes no sense just cause a $29 program update.

Apples mac sales have been down, June qtr will shoot it back up so weve heard. This means new mbp or imac must arrive now - wwdc keynote.

rvinther

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Denmark
It might be a silent update = no redesign :(, to be honest i think next tuesday seems more likely... even though we are seeing some 3rd party restocking issues.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Can always hope that the fact that iMacs remains in stock is because it's expected to update for quite some time and people, like us, wait for it and the stores are left with stock. I'm not sure about Apple's release history, but have they only updated new models when the old one is mostly out of stock? Are they really that greedy?

Rumours - Well... rumours about iMacs just isn't worth as much as iPhone or iPad is in the media, because of that I think no one really bothers to find anything out. iMac fans has in comparison become a minority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.