Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdschrank

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2005
I recently switched back to Apple after 20+ years. I purchased a powerbook....details below. During my time away, everytime I purchased a new PC, I would try to check for certain hardware issues. For example, I would immediate turn the computer on for a couple of days straight to make sure the CPU worked properly. Not sure if that really helped or not. I always felt like 1 year later I would find a problem when I tried to use a new feature.

Anyway, I don't really want to purchase AppleCare and would prefer that this thread not turn into a salespitch for it. But, are there certain things I should be checking for on the hardware and software side and how can I do it. I would like to do as much now before the 3 month phone support stops. Already have run Apple Hardware Test and seems to work.

If anyone has any routines they practice with new macs, please let me know.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Im sure your powerbook will work fine no bad components, if there are some you will know just through daily use of the machine. no need to leave it on for 4 days straight, anyway have fun with your new powerbook.

SHadow

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Frankly, leaving it on (and not using it) for days straight won't really tell you a thing. As noted above, using it will get you a lot further. As for leaving it on, no problem. I only reboot my powerbook when I install an update or it runs out of battery power. The rest of the time, it sleeps between uses.

On a side note, $239 for significantly longer coverage is, in my opinion, a no brainer. I really don't want to have to pay for a new LCD out of my own pocket. But that's just me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.